Copa America Brasil '19: USA Invited

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time Mexico faced this conundrum was in 2015 and they took an A Team to the Gold Cup, and a B team to the Copa America; In 2011, they again sent an A team to the Gold Cup and a B team to the Copa America. They were able to send a B team to last year's Gold Cup because they had a A team FIFA tournament the same summer (Confederations Cup). At times CONCACAF has restricted the ability of members to send full teams to other confederation's tournaments (i.e. Copa America).

Winoman repped this.
  2. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey can they restrict member choice for the tournaments isn't it up to the coach who plays for what team.

3. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per FIFA regulations, all teams wishing to participate in an international match must submit a request to the the confederation for which they are a member for authorization to play. The regulations governing the Gold Cup specifically state that each side shall select from the best players eligible. There is also a Gold Cup rule which explicitly states that a team can't be referred to as a B team or can face financial and other ramifications. Last Summer, Mexico was able to do so because the Confederations Cup was an International FIFA tournament and thus had precedence. However, CONCACAF specifically told Mexico to field an U-23 team at the Copa America back in 2011. (My assumption, although I haven't been able to document it yet), is that CONCACAF used the need for confederation authorization to ensure that A teams are sent to the Gold Cup and not another tournament.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/name/203/blog/post/2089952/headline

4. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is another link stating that CONCACAF did place that restriction:

http://www.banderasnews.com/1004/nr-concacaf01.htm

Interestingly, Japan pulled out because of J-league conflicts and the tsunami (after some initial talk of using only European players, but then that fell through as well), so Costa Rica was invited but had the same stipulations as Mexico of U-23 team with 5 over age players.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Perfect! Over 23s to the Gold Cup and U-23s to the CA.

6. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following up, the Mexicans played similar strength squads in 2007. The Gold Cup squad may have been slightly stronger but they were basically the same team. that said nearly all of the team played in Mexico, where clubs are likely more amenable to releasing players. The last Gold Cup-Copa America overlap prior to that was in 1993.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts as well. Most of the players I want to see flushed out are u23.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, the big question will be if the European teams will release our U23s, since they are not required to. I wonder if that is what plagued Japan back in 2011 when they wanted to play an all European team but ended up pulling out. The Euro teams are known for playing hardball. That said, I would like to see an U-23 team play the Copa America too.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Our U23s may well be our A-team at this point, considering the old guys peed the bed.

largegarlic and Winoman repped this.
  10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't have to but it's in their best interest for 2 reasons. Copa is before the Gold Cup. They may not have to let them go to Copa but if that's the case they will be called to GC and that will interfere with their preseason training. The other is these are young guys who will likely be sold at some point. Good performances at the Copa will increase their value far greater than anything they could do at the GC.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ii hope your are right, but I am not sure I share your optimism. Euro clubs have frequently been tough when it comes to non-official tournaments.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know but our fed needs to grow a pair. They need to make it clear that they'll call up that player every chance they get, no breaks even with no meaningful games. They'll call them in and make them fly even if they don't play or their injured just because the club cannot deny them. If they want to have a good working relationship that can change otherwise we can make it as hard on them as they want to make it on us.

13. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I was thinking basically whichever squad has Pulisic is the A-team. It's been a long time (2016 Copa?) since we've looked consistently dangerous going forward without him on the field. Whichever team doesn't have him will probably struggle to score. Unless some other player breakouts in the next year...

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    2in10 repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Man, Qatar is going to get lit the ******** up in this tournament.

Ironbound, Marko72 and 2in10 repped this.
  16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eighteen Alpha and 2in10 repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to give the USSF a massive round of applause for its attempts to alienate as many fans as possible and make us not give a fook about the program.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So they also got Comebol to not invite Costa Rica or Mexico?

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, especially with Mexico not going either, I'm guessing this isn't a USSF thing. I wonder if CONCACAF put their foot down and told teams they couldn't go to another confederation's tournament and de-emphasize their own.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nations League. Asia doesn't have one (yet).

Since it's a tournament created to replace friendlies, and will be considered in fact a bunch of glorified intra-regional friendlies, I expect us to do very well.

We're the world champs of friendlies.

21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup this is squarely on CONCACAF.

JJV1994 repped this.
  22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There has been a rumor that the Gold Cup was going to be played earlier in the summer. It's why I think Sunil had been coy about US participation in Copa America.

largegarlic repped this.
  23. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    In before someone blames this on Trump.

JJV1994 repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nah, we're saving that one for when Morocco gets the World Cup.

Marko72 and Winoman repped this.
  25. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    And I will assume praise if we do get it since it was in jeopardy before he got involved?