Copa America Brasil '19: USA Invited

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Self-correction: they qualified back in 2002, albeit without Japan/Korea, a bit like qualifying in Concacaf without the US and Mexico taking 2 spots...

I'm of the opinion that more matches is almost always better. We make money too? A bonus. We need to get used to tournaments of high quality opposition, so the more chances to test kids vs CCaf, and regulars vs. Conmebol, the better.

2. Step Over

Step Over Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I think it could best be summarized this way:

It's much easier to jump from 125 to 50, then it is from 50 to 15, just as it is much easier for us to climb from 30-35 (if I recall correctly, a touch worse than we've been at our worst the past decade) to 15-20, then it is from 15-20 to 5-10.

The higher you get, the harder it gets.

Think of it this way, what new teams entered, and sustained a position inside the big 10 over the past 50 years (say England's World Cup)?

1966-1980:
    Yugoslavia
    Netherlands
    Argentina

1981-1995:
    France
    Spain
    Belgium (maybe?)

1996-2010:

Portugal

Czech Republic (1996-2006)

African Team (Cameroon/Nigeria/Ghana-to my mind there has been a top 10 caliber African team in world soccer just about every cycle since 1990-but it's evolved over time, rather than consistently being any one team)

2011-2017:
    I think Ghana fits from 2005 to the present

In terms of new teams crashing into the top 10 and sticking around, the only teams off the top of my head that have done it in relatively modern times are Argentina, Netherlands, the pieces of the former Yugoslavia (makes you wonder just how incredible Yugoslavia would have been if it had never split apart considering Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, and Bosnia have all qualified for the world cup as relatively small pieces of what once was Yugoslavia and Montenegro has been consistently competitive), a trio of African sides that kind of passed the baton to one another, the Czech Republic which had a golden generation that made the Euro Final in '96, semifinals and were the best team at Euro '04, and the World Cup in '06 before injuries and age left them a distant memory, we have Ghana, which to me, has been a top 10 world side since 2005, and lastly Portugal which kind of broke the schneid that had largely sidelined them after England '66 at Euro '00, and since then they've been a consistent top 10-12 power in the world (although it was the '00-'06 generation, rather than the Ronaldo generation that was their most impressive team, unfortunately for viewers, it was Ronaldo's less impressive side that actually won the hardware this past summer, instead of Figo's classic golden generation squad.

Additionally there are France and Spain which entered the fray later than Germany and the Dutch, but were also weird entrants in tht both sides were always legit powers but just didn't seem to play well as international sides until much more recent times as compared to say, Germany or Sweden or Brazil.

So to me, you've got somewhere between 2-3 international sides that climb into consistent top 10 status a decade (or so). It's pretty damn rare, and amongst the teams I list, only a handful are actual teams that came in largely w/o much of a prior pedigree. Countries like France and Spain and Portugal and some others I mentioned were not so much surprises as countries that just got their act together, while other countries had their time and went away, and I don't know enough about Argentina to get why it took them a while to be relevant. So if you take that into account, the only real new entrants that have had staying power are probably the African nations and the Netherlands.

So clearly, making a run at perennial top 10 consideration for the soccer nouveau riche has been extraordinarily difficult unless the various countries had a preexisting pedigree. I think just assuming China can make it because of numbers is as silly to me as thinking the same of the US. It takes so much more than that. They are also huge huge fans of basketball there too, so even if they wanted to dump all their eggs into soccer, it wouldn't happen, as basketball already has huge built in support. I think they're just as likely to become an excellent basketball nation as a soccer nation in the near term.

The good news for us is that I do believe soccer is continuing to have a stronger, and stronger influence on youngsters than ever before. It's night and day compared to the 80's for kids, and even the early nineties. Add in every other development and I suspect that by '26 we'll have a legit chance of making a deep run w/some breaks going our way and health.

Hexa repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mentality is the #1 reason why we've been a consistent Top 20 for a while.

Judging by individual quality of our players, we shouldn't belong there. But it's been the never-say-die attitude plus the great stamina that always pulled us back from the edge.

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    bump, any news on this since the May 11th story? I am kinda praying we accept the invite considering the World Cup just went spinning down the toilet.

6. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Not to mention the 2021 Confed Cup seems to be at risk too, vastly reducing the significance of the Gold Cups. US won't really have anything major to play for, for a solid 5 years if they don't go to these CONMEBOL events.

7. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I can't imagine the rationale for not accepting.

2in10 repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    https://tradingeconomics.com/brazil/exports
    Exports from Brazil jumped 18.1 percent to USD 18.67 billion in September 2017 from USD 15.80 billion a year earlier, boosted by higher sales of primary goods (30.2 percent) and industrial products (10.3 percent), of which manufactured (12.4 percent) and semimanufactured (5.8 percent). Among major trading partners, exports increased to China (43.3 percent), the US (8 percent) and Argentina (25.9 percent

9. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling that we will soon only have one Gold Cup a cycle.
    2019 - Possible Copa America in Brazil
    2020 - Copa America in America
    2021 - Gold Cup

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how they could have a Confed Cup in 2021. It would have to be in the summer when the temperature is ridiculous. They can rearrange the scheduling for WC 2022 to be in the winter, but they can't do that for the Confed Cup.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    We have never been so desperate for a Copa invite then we are now

12. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have the invite. The question is has it been accepted.

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I see no reasons not to accept. We need as many competitive tournaments we can get into for the next five years.

14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. That would be one of, if not the worst thing that the USSF could do for the senior team.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to back Copa Americas, one in South America, next up here, would be awesome.

Well, going to the WC would be awesome but beggars can't be choosers.

2in10 repped this.
  16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA has already said they will put the Confed Cup in a different country.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I'd be careful calling any team a joke team at this moment.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can South America resend it's invitation after what the USA just did?

19. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
  20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol, does the US have anything planned in 2019 besides the Gold Cup? Don't tell me the GC took precedence....

21. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Uh...what?

Also how is that his decision?

Pl@ymaker and 2in10 repped this.
  22. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it is just his opinion and not his decision.

23. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    I'm sure it isn't his decision. It's probably Garber's.

Patrick167 repped this.
  24. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    First, I don't see how Gulati's opinion on this can be at all binding. Second, I think the US should go to the Copa.

However, I can see the argument for not doing it. I think that as long as you're part of a confederation, you have to take that confederation's tournament somewhat seriously. In other words, it's kind of unfair for the US to say, "The Gold Cup is stupid, and we don't want to waste time competing in that. We'd rather go to the Copa. But we still want a better chance of qualifying for the WC, so we'd never entertain fully joining CONMEBOL." So, if it's only possible to send the A-team to one major tournament that summer, I think you're obligated to prioritize the GC, especially since that's been the "A-team GC." And if that's the case, it might not really be worth for the US or desirable for CONMEBOL to send a B-team to the Copa.

2in10 repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We should play both Copa and GC.

Copa should be primarily a Euro team and GC a domestic team.

This way we develop depth. Euro managers will be happier having their assets displayed in Conmenbol and GC will be a decent test of Stateside strength while making it less logistically difficult for stateside players to travel.

TxEx, edcrocker, Eighteen Alpha and 2 others repped this.