Copa America Brasil '19: USA Invited

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree GC every 2 years seems ridiculous, same with the African Cup of Nations, which like the GC is every 2 years.

it's also makes it more fun for the winner. Get to stay Champs for 4 years.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah. More logical to have more NT games that matter, rather than fewer.

I don't see what changes about the stakes, either. Every 4 years there's the same dramatic tension, but possibly even moreso, like when the US and Mexico played the CONCACAF Championship game after splitting GC's.

Imagine 2 or 3 US-Mexico GC finals. How's that not dramatic?

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    They lose the tension when it's every year. Which is why we're glad the World Cup is every 5 years.

For me it works as same as the Euros being every 4 years. They don't need it as every 2 years.

4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The World Cup is played every 4 years. I'm assuming it was a typo coming from you.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    or drunk. Let's not ignore that possibility :p

tomásbernal repped this.
  6. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Actually, Brazilian soccer pundits are betting that China will become a major soccer nation, the last seleção roaster has 3 Chinese league players on it:

GOLEIROS

Diego Alves (Valencia)

Weverton (Atlético-PR)

Ederson (Benfica)

ZAGUEIROS

David Luiz (Chelsea)

Gil (Shandong Luaneng)

Jemerson (Monaco)

Rodrigo Caio (São Paulo)

Thiago Silva (PSG)

LATERAIS

Alex Sandro (Juventus)

Fagner (Corinthians)

Filipe Luís (Atlético de Madri)

Rafinha (Bayern de Munique)

VOLANTES

Fernandinho (Manchester City)

Giuliano (Zenit)

Rodriguinho (Corinthians)

Paulinho (Guangzhou Evergrande)

MEIAS

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool)

Renato Augusto (Beijing Guoan)

Lucas Lima (Santos)

Willian (Chelsea)

ATACANTES

Diego Souza (Sport)

Douglas Costa (Bayern de Munique)

Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City)

Taison (Shahktar Donetsk)

I wouldn't dismiss China rise they have a huge population and soccer (unlike in the US) is going to be the #1 sport. I would bet China gets a WC before US does

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It will be an interesting day when young talented Brazilian/French/Italian squads have some players who play for MLS or Chinese clubs.

8. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Renato Augusto and Gil are 29. Paulinho is 28. Still in their prime.

Brazil to China is something that is going to increase, they are paying up. Not sure about the rest of SA, but one would think it is just a matter of time before young talent (20 yo) start moving to China if Europe is not a real option.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I figured it'd be some ways down the road.

anyone know how much Brazilians earn back home? It's almost Insane the Chinese league is offering an ocean of $$ to some semi-average players just because They're Brazilian or played a year or 2 in Europe.

Heck even Fredy Montero is earning at least seven figures I'm sure if not double.

10. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:

Robinho is an interesting case to see the lure Chinese league has:

according to this site: http://torcedores.uol.com.br/notici...-os-maiores-salarios-do-futebol-brasileiro/16

Robinho used to make R$ 3,4 million per month playing in china (US$1 million per month) in Brazil he is making (R$ 660 thousand - 194 thousand US$ per month)

Robinho has one of the highest salaries in Brazil. So China pays quite well, I still think first rate prospect would go to Europe even if they don't get as much simply because, at this point in time, Europe has better competition and will get more NT playing time if they play in Europe

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for posting this. I appreciate it. Damn 5 times. Simply Impressive.

Are you aware of when there was a strictly all Brazilian based roster for their NT? Either for friendlies or qualifying?

12. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    You mean when all Brazilian NT players used to play in Brazil? that would be before the 82 World Cup. Falcão went to Roma and then Cerezo and Zizo successfully played abroad... Not sure if Argentina players did the transition earlier, there were a lot of first rate Argentines that played for more than one country back in the day

China won't surpass Europe because of the CL (SA can't either for the same reason)

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    There haven't been any 50 or 75% (based in Brazil or outside of Europe ) rosters since 82?

I figured a few squads each year would be heavily made up of local playing guys.

14. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fredy Montero plays for Vancouver and is getting $1.4M base and $1.8M guaranteed (according to the MLSPU). He previously had played for Seattle and did very well before moving to Portugal. He isn't getting good money because he played in "Europe", but because he's a proven commodity in MLS and he's in his prime years.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But he's grossly overpaid in China compared to his time in Portugal and MLS, am I right?

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to China's National Team. Copa America is for national teams, not clubs, man.

China winning a World Cup before the US... That's a good one. Hahahaha.

17. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    #42 Hexa, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Well the reasoning is that China has 300 million ppl living in the cities and soccer can easily become their #1 sport so most of their resources can go into soccer (ppl and $$)

The US had a great run from the 1980's your game improved leaps and bounds, IMHO US is a 15 to 20 soccer nation, the problem now is decreased marginal gain (you are still evolving, but it takes a lot of effort to get to 10 - 15th level) and soccer will have a hard time moving to #1 sport in the US. China does not have this problem they can be a soccer nation.

That is why Brazilian soccer pundits are interested in China's rise.

18. superpower

superpower Red Card

Mar 17, 2016
    Sounds like a lot of changes are coming to international soccer in the next few years. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Hexa repped this.
  19. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I hope the Gold Cup stays around. There's nothing wrong, and quite frankly a potential big benefit of a B Team Gold Cup that focuses on our upcoming youth and fringe NT players getting an opportunity to compete in a tournament setting for future invites to friendlies and competitive qualifiers.

I'd love to see a B team this summer that features Acosta, Farfan, Dwyer, Miazga, Zimmerman, Green, Johanssen, Glad, T. Thompson, Arriola, Gooch, etc.

There's a ton of value to be had in a team of fringe guys, rather than the same old Bradley, Jozy, Cameron, and the like. Even if all it does is eliminate players from further call-ups. Knowing who not to invite in the future is just as important as whom to invite.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We'll be buying fixed matches online with Bitcoins.

21. Step Over

Step Over Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense but, you really have no idea what you're talking about if you think the US has reached it's ceiling. There really hasn't been any consistently in quality training until about 5 years ago here with the DA. We're starting to see more technical players develop in addition to our traditional athletic players. We've only had a viable pro league for 22 years. More and more money is invested in the sport here. We still need to increase the quantity of quality coaches and provide less expensive options for quality training.

There's still a ton of potential there.

22. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    I never claimed the US program reached a ceiling... I said:
    because of decreased marginal gain and soccer in US isn't #1 sport... I do believe you will eventually get a WC. Still evolving means you are getting better but not as fast as before.

How many Dempseys, Donovans has the US produced? Pulisc is world class but I believe his development isn't typical. At this point, your development program can't mass produce players like him. Brazil development program can not produce another Ronaldinho, Ronaldo or Neymar they (as Pulisc) are a product of very specific circumstance. Brazil and any other to 10 teams, however, can produce Ramires, Oscar and Hulk types of players that are world class but not at Neymar/Messi/CR level...

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread it was just my 2 cents on why China was invited

MPNumber9, Step Over and largegarlic repped this.
  23. superpower

superpower Red Card

Mar 17, 2016
    Gold Cup 2019
    Copa America 2020
    Confederations Cup 2021
    World Cup 2022

World Cup qualifying 2019-2022
    League of Nations 2019-2022

Can you feel the blood rushing to your nether regions?

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many good players has China produced? Not to mention the fact that Chinese soccer will have to compete with Basketball first.

It's possible. Let's see them qualify for a WC first...

25. Step Over

Step Over Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. I honestly feel like the US is starting to turn a corner at least at the youth level where we're starting to beat technical teams with technical (as well as being athletic) players. We won't really know if that's significant for another 5 years. Right now it's just potential and it seems for a while we had a lot of youth players have potential to fizzle out. Hopefully it's different now but, we'll see.

Back to the thread topic, I'd prefer 1 Gold Cup and 1 Copa America every four years. But, the US makes a lot of money off Gold Cups at home so that might not change.

USSoccerNova repped this.