Copa America 2019 Brazil

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by HomietheClown, Jul 15, 2018.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    BTW I hope NBC treats it with similar respect that they showed the World Cup.
    Advertise it during the Premeire League, make all matches available on the NBC Sports App, Show a match or two on NBC Sports Network, etc.

3. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    The tournament calendar for next summer is a bit overwhelming. Copa America (June 14-July 7), Gold Cup (June 14-July 7), the African Cup (June 7-30), and the Women's World Cup (June 7-July 7) will all be going on simultaneously.at times. The U20 World Cup concludes June 15th, The final of the UEFA Nations League falls during the opening weekend of the WWC. Makes the 64 matches in 31 days that was just completed seem a bit light in comparison.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good catch.

I will enjoy every minute of it.

Redbullsnation2012 and Gyro62 repped this.
  5. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Me 2

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have there ever been three confederational tournaments at the same time?

7. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Not sure, but I would say unlikely because Africa always used to play theirs in January-February.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Watching Some Premiere League today on Telemundo Deportes and I noticed they are already promoting the Copa Anerica.
    :thumbsup:
    Hopefully they do the same on NBC Sports too.

9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm not expecting it to. How often do you see NBC/Sports pushing people to Spanish-language channels like Telemundo? I haven't seen anything about English-language rights for the U.S. yet, so it also depends on how that shakes out.

The U.S. isn't in the tournament and neither is Mexico, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not broadcast in English at all. If it is, I'd bet it ends up on something like beIN (which broadcast it in 2015) or ESPN+.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #10 HomietheClown, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Well it is still the oldest National team tournament on the planet with a good history and prestige. It still has some of the best players and teams on the planet.

I understand where you are coming from with the US and Mexico not being in it but I still think it would be smart to have a couple of promos on NBCSN during Premiere League games mentioning that PL players like Aguero, Sanchez, Willian, Jesus, Mina, etc.will be playing this summer. Also they can mention players like Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Cavani, James, that Premiere fans may be a little familiar with too.

They did a few promos for the World Cup on NBCSN even though they did not have English Language rights. including the one that went Viral with Andres Cantor dropping the microphone. They can do some similar things that may not be as dramatic but just mention it a few times as the months go by.

11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Totally, I'm not disparaging the tournament at all, it just isn't generally a tournament that gets much play in the United States outside of the Spanish-speaking/soccer-loving community. It was only on Fox Sports last time because the U.S. hosted and participated.

There's no reason why NBC shouldn't air promos for Telemundo coverage during Premier League broadcasts. And I honestly don't really care if the tournament has English-language rights here because I won't hesitate to watch the Telemundo broadcasts.

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like when anything is advertised that far in advance. Some South Americans could transfer in or out of the Premier League in January.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, its a little early to say the least. Its not that big of a deal.

14. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bein would have the clock up and running... 293 days until Copa America 2019

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is smart marketing to let people know that the Copa is now on Telemundo.
    I am not saying to mention it every day. Just make it be known as the weeks go by that a great soccer tournament with great south American stars will be on Telemundo this summer.

16. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Wait: is there not going to be any English broadcast in the US?

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It remains to be seen.

A few years back beIN had a press release state that they had rights to both Chile 2015 and Brazil 2019;
    So i assume they have the English language rights but that might change.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  19. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
  20. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As posted by QPR yesterday the matches will be available in English and Portuguese on ESPN+

InterFan76 repped this.
  22. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I saw a screensaver on DTV when I had a program paused that said Pre-Copa America PPV for some price beginning June 1st. I assume they are aggregating friendlies. I'm never paying PPV for anything. But I assume all these friendlies will re-air at some point on delay. Anyone know anything about this?

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  24. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    HomietheClown repped this.
  25. Gyro62