Copa America 2016 Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by annoyingracoon01, Oct 24, 2015.

1. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Some interesting excerpts from this article:

"senior vice president of programming Scott Guglielmino told me at the network's World Cup press conference last week that "we always look at big rights, [and] that's obviously a terrific property."

He's as much of a soccer fan as anyone else, and is certainly thrilled by the prospect of Euro games in the afternoon and Copa América games at night.

Guglielmino cautioned, though, that the one-time nature of the event made it difficult for him to assess things right then in the moment. He also noted that ESPN has made a major investment in the Euros as the tournament's U.S. broadcaster in all languages, and he called that tournament "our focus in the summer" of 2016."

Since ESPN had more time, I wouldn't rule them out. Based on above statement, ESPN wouldn't mind having the Euros in the afternoon, and night-time for Copa America. ESPN could utilize ABC as well for primetime matches. But, I still think FOX will win, with NBC and ESPN coming second and third. BeIN with a very small chance due to limited distribution and being an unknown entity in the US market.

Regardless, I think it will be a great JUNE and JULY for Soccer again, and MLS could benefit by ESPN and FOX1 adding some primetime matches on weekdays to compliment their respective coverage of both tournaments.

2. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imo fox is the frontrunner, Espn is too invested in the euros, and nbcs analysts and commentators are too epl centric. I would love to see espn pick up copa america because it would be interesting to see how they split resources and if they use abc. When it comes to bein, I'm sure they have no more interest since the spanish rights are locked up with Univision.

3. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    BeIN is an outsider looking into the US soccer rights. They will remain on the fringes, and it will be very difficult to gain distribution when the market is so saturated with so many channels and options.

4. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HomietheClown repped this.
  5. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good.

Now FOX can start hyping it up and promoting it. I want to see this tournament treated like a World Cup.
    Make it known on all their Fox Sports 1 shows that this thing is gonna happen.

7. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well no one watches their FS1 shows so maybe they should hype it on their FOX network products :)

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ha.

Have Peter Griffin and Homer Simpson dress up in USA Jerseys.

Have a Drug Cartel from Colombia wear James jerseys as they ship in drugas into Gotham.

Have all the American Idol singers go to a January Friendly in Carson California for the US National Team.

Do whatever it takes to promote the heck out of this thing.

9. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm expecting FOX Sports announcing that they will air some primetime matches on the big Fox. Fox knows that this tournament is going to be a massive hit in the US market. Primetime matches involving the likes of US, Mexico, Argentina, and Brazil will be sought after in the preliminary rounds, and some of the knockout rounds. The Final will be on Fox and more than likely airing during early primetime hour.

10. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 LaxBandit, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

FOX Sports is planning expansive and comprehensive multiplatform coverage of the 2016 COPA AMERICA CENTENARIO, televising all 32 matches LIVE across ten venues nationwide from June 3 to June 26, with matches appearing on FOX broadcast network, FS1 and FS2. In addition, FOX Sports expects to offer pre-match, post-match and complimentary programming over the month-long tournament. Digitally, all games are available on FOX Sports GO, FOX Soccer 2Go and on desktops at FoxSportsGo . com - Full match/TV schedule ommitments and coverage plans are expected to be announced at a later date.

11. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 LaxBandit, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

After months of on-again/off-again negotiations, Fox Sports has secured the English-language media rights to this summer's Copa América Centenario, scheduled to be held in June at 10 venues across the United States. A formal announcement is expected later today. It is not clear how much Fox paid as part of the one-year deal. Univision holds the event's Spanish-language rights.

The deal gives Fox Sports cross-platform rights, with games set to air on Fox, FS1 and FS2, with authenticated streaming set for the Fox Sports Go platform. The broadcaster has not decided yet how many games it will put on its broadcast network or cable channels, but it plans to televise all of the tournament's 32 matches.

Fox was close to cutting a deal for the event last year as the FIFA scandal broke, but that news caused the net to walk away from the negotiating table. CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, in conjunction with the local organizing committee led by United States Soccer, eventually brought SUM and IMG on board to sell its rights globally, making Fox more comfortable to do a deal. Last year's Copa America rights belonged to beIN Sport.

12. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The Big Fox will definitely will show some weekend games, but I wouldn't rule out weekday nights on the big Fox.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regional channels probably won't be much good for live games due to baseball, but what about next-day replays of big games on those channels?

I'd probably guess:
    Weekend games on Fox and FS1
    Weekday games on FS1 and FS2...except if those games involve USA/Mexico/Brazil/Argentina, in which case they'd be on Fox and FS1.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #39 HomietheClown, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    For those who are interested:

The draw is on Sunday evening (Coverage starting at 8PM EST). Univision Deportes Network is scheduled to televise it along with Fox Sports 2.
    It also will be available on Univision Deportes apps and Fox Sports GO.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    During the aforementioned Promo I saw during the Atleti-Barca halftime...
    ...it mentioned the games will be on FOX and FS1.
    (Good news for those of you who do not have FS2.)

LaxBandit repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And they mean Jamaica- Venezuela not Paraguay.

20. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty decent-looking coverage, all things considered. The FOX choices aside. Only four relegated to FS2 is good.

21. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Odd schedule. Four underwhelming matches to sync with FOX, bringing in a non-sports network (FX) at the knockout stage, final on FS1. But at the same time this is a huge win for FS1 -- and that's probably the way FOX wants it.

22. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't care about the four games they chose on FOX. I already know their objective is to get FS1 more coverage/ratings across the country. I'll be watching on Univision regardless.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    More importantly, 0 relegated to FS+.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  24. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club: