Conte laments low number of Italians in Serie A

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Scotty, Jul 11, 2015.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    #251 NickyViola, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Next should come, placing 4 or 5 primavera or domestic players (young or old) on the game day roster. That would at least give more Italians more opportunities to show their stuff.

3. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    1. We did recently and made a Euro final.
    2. The kids want to play that way.
    3. Coaches like Sarri are doing it.
    Obviously it won't be "exactly" the same, but if they don't adapt, you can forget about them winning any more trophies (assuming they can even qualify).

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The youth teams and clubs are different though. The senior national just won't play that style.

5. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It was because Ventura tried to play an all out attack that we are out in the first place. No target man who could hold up the ball, just wasted passing in the middle of the pitch and crosses. Just play our style. What's wrong with that? No one has been doing it since Lippi with the exception of Conte, save for some knock out games here and there.

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  6. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Since the 06 World Cup,
    Spain vs Italy
    3 of the 5 major cups vs 0 (Prandelli's Euro final being the only good result in 12 years)
    6 Europa Cups vs 0
    6 Champions Leagues vs 2 (Milan in 07 and Mourinho's Inter)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Big asterisk. It will be known as the steroid era in Spain in the future.

8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    But that's their style. What did the previous 80 years produce? Why do we need to play their style? Prandelli tried and got spanked. But he matched them with our style. Ditto Conte. No need to reinvent the wheel. Do what you do best! I can cite years of dominance before when we weren't afraid of developing real defenders, real #9's, etc, and playing our style.

+ Does it come with a Fuentes?

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  9. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bingo. There’s something they covered up with Fuentes and Spain/Barca. Are they talented... yes. But there’s also something going on when late in tournaments on short rest they were running on full energy and seemed to never tire.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  10. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's not that it's "their" style. It's that FIFA legislates this. They want stylish football. No point referencing years when defenders were allowed to pull shirts or GKs could pick up a backpass. Mourinho even said last week that refs weren't giving cards for the fouls to stop counter-attacks. They're favouring the pro-active teams.

Prandelli tried and we made a final. The 2 day break killed them. Nobody will remember Conte's brave QF exit.
    RE: Feuntes.
    Glass houses. They all got good gear these days.

11. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #261 Calcio Pauly, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Spain has always played that way, just not as many meaningless passes in no mans land as must.

So how does one go about getting amnesty like, let's say, Portugal at the Euro's or Sweden?

I could care less what they want. I'd take Conte's style over Ventura's attempt at "stylish" football every day of the week and twice on game day.

How about Cannavaro, Zambrotta and co. in 2006? Can we reference them? Or Maldini who never got a red card. Maybe Costacurta, Baresi. How about we do what we do well, make teams suffer and kill them when they're broken Why don't we let Spain do what they do best, and then beat them with a system that their 1001 passes in no danger zone does shit?

I'd go with that.

I guess they forgot to do that when we played Sweden.

I agree with you on one thing though! I'm 100% positive that the message is to stop steely defending in favor of open play. I'm sure you're right about that, but I don't think it'll ever be said publicly, let alone be made into a law of the game.

Not really. He did the 3-5-2 until Germany, then he thought that because 4-3-3 beat the Germans he'd go with an untried formation vs Spain. He fckd up there. There was little he could do with respect to the injuries to Chiellini and Motta during the game, which obviously did not help at all.

Everyone remembered us defeating the "best team in the world" at that time and Spain and how Germany were scared and dropped their 4-3-3 in favor of a 3-5-2 and we took them to penalties on one leg.

Maybe Fifa and Uefa just "legislate" who uses them and when. Could be.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Style is overrated. All flash and no finish means nothing if you lose. Last edition of the World Cup featured a very weak Brazilian team playing at home and no one remembers their style. All they remember is the 1-7 home humiliating loss in front of their own fans.

In the words of Vittorio Pozzo, there simply isn’t time to develop tactics or strategies. In the end at the national team level, you have to score one more than the other team and that’s it!

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I did. It was tactical fouling and counter attack, until the German game when Scolari himself acknowledged trying to go forward and leaving 2 defenders alone in the back in search of the first goal, after which they were going to bunker down and try to squeeze out the victory, but it backfired because David Luis is shit.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    David Luis missed a goal right past the post in the first minutes. Had they scored that goal, things could have been different. I mean they will have still lost but not 1-7...

15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't know that they still would loss. They knew how to bunker and were getting away with all sort of fouls up until that point. They had that one aim and stuck to it until Germany scored the 2nd and then they looked totally dejected and choked.

16. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    sideshow bob is brutal

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  17. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How does Serie A compare to other major European leagues in this? Is the difference between italians in Serie A that much different than say English players in the EPL?

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I personally have a bias but I think traditionally, Italian players were tactically better and sounder. English players seem to be a little faster but the styles of play are completely different.

The only way I can compare it is English players rarely come to Italy and when they have in the past, have had little success. Italian players as a rule however, have done quite well in England. Gianfranco Zola for example. I don't think anyone on the board can name many English players who did well in the Serie A unless you go back to the 1980's & 90's. I think Paul Ince did ok at Inter but that was well over 20 years ago. He also struggled initially until his fellow Englishman Roy Hodgson was hired by Massimo Moratti and became his manager.

19. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well yeah that's the main point here. Better off adapting to that reality than getting angry about it.

No he switched to 4-3-1-2 for the final must-win group game after 2 draws and stayed with it. Then beat England and Germany with the same set-up. 4-3-1-2 was also the formation he used mostly in the 2 years prior (including a 2-1 win over Spain previous year). Pretty much Ancelotti's Milan formation so you might not be happy if he becomes next manager.

It was a good underdog display. Not much else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Ferrari
    I know they're all doping to some extent. Simple as that. I know the Americans put out a genetic freakshow every Olympic games but that's pro-sport for ya.

20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't understand how that's reality? It's just what they want. Fvck them. Look where it got us.

4-3-3, same thing. Was a big mistake after getting the better of Spain with a 3-5-2. Stick with what worked.

The friendly that Montolivo scored in? Big deal. You had a formation that handled them nicely just a few weeks earlier. There's enough evidence there.

Ancelotti builds formations to match his personnel. He also doesn't neglect midfield or defense for all out attack. #'rd formations are meaningless because the game is fluid. It's the roles assigned to the players that counts.

It was an example of how playing to your strengths and using proper tactics WORKS.
    No need to copy anyone else. Ventura and Prandelli are examples of trying to play some other foreign tactics get you slaughtered. I remember and enjoyed it when other teams hated playing us, not when they looked forward to it. Don't drink the koolaid mate.

21. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lumping in Ventura with Prandelli when Prandelli made a Euro final. Give me a break.:ROFLMAO:
    Conte made a QF. Cool. He also lost us a seeded spot and turned tail after 2 years leaving us stuck with a clown leading up to a World Cup on European soil.

I expect/hope to see Conte return though (probably the next WC). He'll have unfinished business with the nazionale and hopefully a better level of talent to work with.

22. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    How about a 4-0 ass whooping of a break? :p You have 80 years of history where Spain has been unable to cope with our style. You have a group stage example at your disposal and you leave it aside to pursue a system that tries to copy theirs in the final. Disaster awaiting. You have multiple examples re; a declining Dutch team giving them a beating 4 years back with a 3-5-2 counter attack that looked nothing at all like a bunker and hope for penalties. Brazil did the same to them in the confed cup. Their system doesn't work against a midfield that has #'s, presses high, and counters. There are way too many examples. So when I say fck what Fifa wants, I mean it. I don't care about thousands of passing between lines in your own end our outside of their box. I just want to win. Plus Spain had a 6th gear that was completely missing in their semi final battle vs Portugal where they looked spent. :cautious: Whatever gear Italy had was not comparable IMO. Again, I see no reason to try and copy them, at all.

With half the talent Ventura had vs Sweden, and it was hardly ugly.

By neglecting friendlies, yes.

Whereas Ventura became the most "successful" manager of the Azzurri in a long time due to winning bigly against San Marino and in other friendlies. I don't think friendlies should go towards ranking, but that's another discussion.

Would rather have Ancelotti at this point to be honest.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even Juventus who traditionally is the main provider of the Italian national team, is also now guilty of fielding ONE lone Italian player. I never thought I’d see Juve not fielding Italian players.

I don’t see how anyone can continue to complain why italy isn’t in the World Cup when you have no Italians playing on top teams. It’s not that Italy doesn’t deserve not going it’s mostly because clubs can’t muster up a squad of 18-22 native born players....

Le pagelle di Verona-Juventus 1-3

Deleted User x repped this.
  24. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Here is the 1996 Champions League winning Juventus. 9 Italians in the starting 11.
    Now they, like all European clubs, are completely generic. All part of the globalist agenda.

[​IMG]