Consolidate the various USL leagues into the A-League

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by soccer4ever, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Well said Sue. I was about to bring that up. The PDL is not a professional league. It is against their rules to refer to themselves as professional. It is this way because of the NCAA eligibility rules, along with the fact that the PDL is a unique development league. The PDL can not go pro. Your typical PDL team pays around 2,500 dollars in player salaries. That's it. These franchises are around because most are financially viable. Throw in more travel, or more salaries, you are toast.

What I see ultimately happening is that more clubs join USL in the lower leagues. The teams would grow a fan base and then make the move to the higher leagues.

I think the main reason why there is a D3 is due to the fact that these teams can not afford to keep up with the A-League teams budgets. So there is a lower level league like D3.

I am happy with the way the leagues currently are. Obviously it would be great if there were more teams in the A-League. We could say the same about MLS. It will be when people with the money can afford it and when the fans start filling stadiums, that we will see these leagues grow in size.

2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current:
    MLS: 10 teams
    AL: 18 teams: 14 American, 4 Canadian
    D3: 18 teams, all American
    PDL: 47 teams: 45 (?) American, 2 (?) Canadian

My vision:
    MLS: 16
    AL: 16 American
    CUSL: 8 (CUSL or something resembling that in the Great White North); would play their interlocking-schedule idea with the AL
    D3: 8 to 10 if the league exists at all. It would be more of a "PDL+" than an "AL-" league.
    PDL: Any number will do, but 24-30 would help development in that players would have better competition every week.

Each MLS team would have their primary affiliate in the AL, with their second affiliate in the D3 or PDL (their choice), with any youth teams they want in the SuperY-League.

The D3 would have to have a lot of scheduling flexibility, playing against PDL, CUSL, or maybe even CUSL-second-division teams. But frankly, I do see their better teams merging into the AL and the weaker teams going to the PDL, eliminating the D3. The only reason I would see them survive is if there is a need for a pro league independent of the MLS feeder system.

3. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    My vision:

MLS 24 teams (36 in 20 years) in 2 divisions (4 divisions for 36 teams)
    AL merged with D3 - 6 divisions, 8 teams each division (48 teams)
    PDL - 8 divisionsx8 teams (64 teams)

4. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    not having a rochester team and a toronto team in the same division is crazy, only 2 hours away. Rochester is closer to the midwest teams the the New England/NYC area team. Only 4-5 hours from Cleveland, Pittsburgh. Compared to NYC 7, Connecticut 7 and Boston 8.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My geography was off, thanks.

6. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    no worries!

good thread!

and a team in Buffalo would fit in somewhere I hope.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The CUSL proposal is DOA. The A-League teams wouldn't go along with the idea. The only option acceptable would an independent league. That means no more Canadian teams in the A-League.

8. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

The CUSL proposal being dead has nothing to do with the A-League not going along with the idea, it never got that far along for them to say yes or no to the idea.

9. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't talking in terms of 20 years, closer to 5 or 8 or 10, after MLS expands once or twice, the Canadians decide if they want their own league, and the D3 is decided upon.

I see "my vision" (SJJ's) as do-able in six years. I don't know if "my vision" (soccer4ever's) will really come true in even 20 years: 84 pro teams?

10. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    You don't need 40K stadiums in all A-Leagues cities. A 7-10K stadium will do. But that's the footprint soccer needs in this country.

Remember, this year more than 7 million attended a minor league baseball game and the season is not over yet!

Every metro area should have an MLS team and every large city should have an A-League team.