CONMEBOL vs UEFA

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by maxsanta, Jun 8, 2015.

1. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me Colombia is one I like to see play football.

Every Four Years repped this.
  2. Fox4433

Fox4433 New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Portugal's best decade ever (2000-2010) is summed up with a "meh". And the last decade is pretty mediocre at best. (2005-2015)

Positives
    - 1 World Cup Semi final (2006)

Negatives
    - Losing a EURO final as hosts. There are few things that scream "small team" than being upset at home by Greece. GREECE!
    - 0 titles
    - Awful 2002 FIFA World Cup
    - Mediocre 2010 World Cup
    - Awful 2014 FIFA World Cup

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Greece was unbelievable hard to break in that tournament, believe it or not.

4. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They were grinding the 1-0 wins in the knockout stage indeed. France, Czech Republic and Portugal. I always think back on how we played Greece in a friendly 2 months before EURO 2004 and we beat them very easily with 4-0.

Damn, we maybe could have won this EURO if we would have beaten Portugal in the semi's! :D

5. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think South Americans need to realize that they just aren't as good as the European teams anymore. Three consecutive wins for European teams and I don't see them slowing down. Brazil got smoked by Europe's best. Although South America will continue to be far better than the other regions.

6. Was that the tournement we tried to beat them up:cautious:

7. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lol no that was 2 years later in the 2006 World Cup... Battle of Nuremberg I believe. :D

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They were pretty good in Euro 00 however, their best tournament since WC66.

9. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would really be satisfied with an Eastern European team making it to the final. I actually hope Russia performs well as a host because of that, unlike others I would be pleased with them winning a World Cup.

10. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Positives
    Euro 2000
    WC 2006
    Euro 2012

Negatives
    WC 2002
    Euro 2004
    WC 2014

Neither positive nor negative but something called neutral
    Euro 2008
    WC 2010

But hey, who has time to view things subjectively when it's easier to speak out of your ass.

11. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    france didn't qualify for world cups in 90 and 94 and won 98 at home
    south korea hardly won a match before 2002 and reached the semi finals at home

people thinking that russia won't be tough to beat at home in 2018 are very funny...
    russia won't organise this competition to see their nation lose in first round....

HomokHarcos repped this.
  12. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad thing is if they do well people are going to accuse them of match fixing or cheating even if they didn't, I can already see it.

13. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well I suspect Russia will probably do pretty well, maybe qf, but who knows. However if we see another South Korea 2002 you can't blame anyone for yelling fixed, because 2002 was clear as day.

14. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How come Brazil in 2014 does not seem to get the same treatment? Their games against Croatia and Colombia were not well officiated, but people don't seem to have as much as a problem with them making the semifinals.

Hayaka and themightymagyar repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Don't beat your chest that much, except for the trashing in 2010, Germany didn't really outplay Argentina in those 3 other wins.

90 - Dubious PK win vs a very average Argentina.
    06 - PK shootout win. Even match and if I remember right Argentina played better.
    14 - Lucky Higuain and Messi fluffed their chances.

Pipiolo repped this.
  16. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    And also Rodrigo Palacio in extra time. Argentina actually played quite well in that game. Just didn't use their opportunities.

17. barnabyjonez

barnabyjonez Member

May 28, 2011
    The Valley, Saba
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Carve South America into 50 nations and see what happens. There are so many European micro states that comparing them is not fair.

Imagine what Yugoslavia could have been had it stayed together. Take away Macedonia, every other country has been part of a WC/Euro finals in the past 20 years. Even Kosovo, unable to play, would have a decent team if its diaspora returned.

∆lemão repped this.
  18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You should take away Montenegro as well, as they haven't taken part in any tournament as an independent member yet (same as Macedonia, btw). For 2006 WC, they were still part of what was left of the former Yugoslavia, which only changed its original name to "Serbia and Montenegro".

Montenegro only acquired full FIFA membership as an independent nation for 2007.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also give South America twice the population and the opportunity to host the World Cup every other time while you're at it.

20. ∆lemão

∆lemão Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Revisionist history. When have WC semis or finals ever been a blowout when the victim's name wasn't Brazil? These teams usually are there for a reason.

In 1990 Germany was the better team and won accordingly against rather brutish Argentines. And winning by a well deserved penalty still beats the hell out of having your military dictatorship bribe (Peru) or threaten (Netherlands) your opponents. Or scoring and advancing due to a handball (1986, against England). Argentina really should be the last team to complain when they get their behinds handed to them.

Regarding last year's final: Higuain's "chance" was an offside situation, gifted by a Toni Kroos brain fart. And Messi's shot against Neuer wasn't even on target. Once one has to resort to counting these plays as opportunities worthy of winning a World Cup, he's either delusional or a sore loser or both.

But since we are already talking "should have, would have": What about Höwedes' header striking the post... or Schürrle's later shot... or the intentional knockout of Christoph Kramer, which should have entailed a red card... or the equally red-worthy bloodying of Bastian Schweinsteiger...?

Fortunately, we don't have to debate these incidences anymore because Germany actually scored in a game they dominated against an Argentinean side that largely relied on fruitless counter attacks.

[​IMG]

barnabyjonez repped this.
  21. barnabyjonez

barnabyjonez Member

May 28, 2011
    The Valley, Saba
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I said the word "part" for that reason. In 2006, Montenegro did take part in the WC, albeit with Serbia. Yes, I am familiar with the history. I travelled to Montenegro two months after independence.

22. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    And give South America 13 teams in the WC.

Pipiolo repped this.
  23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For the WC90 final, Caniggia got an absolutely ridiculous yellow card in the semifinal against Italy that suspended him for the final. Caniggia plays and he takes Germany's scalp, like he had done with Brazil and Italy before.

The penalty for Germany was non-existent, by the way. And Argentina still beats England had the "Hand of God" being called off, but it's so much better it stood.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Why was it ridiculous?

He caught the ball deliberately. Deliberate handball is a typical yellow card and he'd tried to do it multiple times before that. It was idiotic for him to do it, but it was a justified yellow card.

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He caught a ball that was obviously beyond his reach and in the open for anyone to see, he was trying to stop it from going out of bounds. It was dumb but not malicious, a yellow card was way too harsh.