Congresswoman shot in Arizona

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Deep Wilcox, Jan 8, 2011.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What constitutes "too many frivolous lawsuits"? Please provide specifics.

See this type of response shows me that you have no clue what you're talking about. Such laws already exist.

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Way ahead of you on the ignore listing, Tom. :)

Seriously, I worry for that guy's mental health at this point. The fact he can be presented with probably upwards fo 3 hours of non-stop racist abuse against one man and turn around to say "What? There was no racist abuse worth mentioning" as well as "we cleaned up after our rally... so there" or hear John McCain talk of how people can "look foreign" and turn around to say "how dare you say McCain displayed racism" or hear a Tea Party leader proudly call Obama "an Indonesian Muslim, turned welfare thug, and racist-in-chief" (see 'Anderson Cooper Destroys...' clip - in which Carville cracks me up :D) says it all.

There really only three possible ways to explain this type of behaviour:
    1. Completely trolling and on a wind-up.
    2. Extreme stupidity and denial to the point of mental ill-health.
    3. Passive racism in-and-of itself.

If anybody else can think of any other explanations, I would be mroe than happy to hear them. :)

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grosclose's book and article are both jokes. Even the the conservatives and libertarians at the Volokh Conspiracy blogsite have been attacking the methodology behind his "study."

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think I beat all of you. I still have him on ignore as "Quakes11," just in case.

5. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Is Colin Gourley's case a frivolous lawsuit?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joanne-doroshow/medical-malpractice---the_b_475374.html
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...and-the-tort-reform-con-margaret-carlson.html
    Yes, I'm sure that's the problem, all these squeaky clean pharmaceutical companies getting sued for no reason.
    http://www.bnet.com/blog/drug-busin...at-allegedly-supressed-witness-testimony/8769

6. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would argue there is a balance. I am certainly not in favor of removing any sort of legal recourse. I never would argue pharmaceutical companies are "squaky clean". Yet- and I have actually met somebody who won 3 settlements for taking a bad pill as a child despite having zero long term health issues- allowing pharmaceutical (and other) companies to get sued by people who are just hoping to land a settlement simply drives up the prices, and reduces the availability and cost of their drugs. It's certainly not an all or nothing issue.

I thank you for actually responding to an issue and trying to have a conversation. Too many on this board- TomW, BI, DrWanker, SlightlyBelowAverageDave- to name a few, apparently are so emopartisan that they cannot hear an opposing viewpoint without an emotional fallout and lashing out at those who disagree with them. You and a few others here appear more reasonable.

7. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, again, I am only in this thread to disprove the simply un-true assertion that Republican rhetoric caused the very sad shooting of the Congresswoman. So far nobody other than BI has argued against me. Seriosuly, where have I gone so egregiously wrong? If you disagree with me at times, okay, but look at the astounding level of personal attacks and general emotional fallout coming form some posters here towards me.

I must have missed where you "disproved" the Hoffa thing. Can you point me there?

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to go back and read the last several pages, but government leaders as a whole, and Reps more than Dems, appear to use war/violent rhetoric often.

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did this person file three separate lawsuits or did they get three separate settlements from three companies named in the same lawsuit? What was the drug this person took? You'll have to provide more details if you expect your bit of anecdotal evidence to carry any weight.

And regardless, what is your solution to stopping such folks from "landing settlements" of this nature? You've yet to provide any details other than to say plaintiffs should have to pay defendants for filing frivolous cases.....which as I mentioned is something that current laws already allow.

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    There are already barriers against people "just hoping to land a settlement". Lawyers are expensive, and with appeals (which also take time, ergo, more money), settlements don't just end up in the bank account. Plus, there are industries that prefer litigation over actually providing services (see: health insurance) - their legal arms are big enough to squash any individual into submission. Plus, we have these people called "judges" who can throw cases out as they see fit.

The idea of people using lawsuits to live life in the easy lane is pretty much a myth. I've yet to see anyone present a coherent argument that we're suffering from too many frivolous lawsuits.

11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same people making those arguments are the same ones making the argument that voter fraud is a huge problem that we should disenfranchise as many people as necessary to solve.

12. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've made this observation on this here forum before, but coming up with solutions in need of a problem seems to be a favorite pastime for right wingers. And curiously, they seem to want *more* government restrictions on individuals.

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Surely he was black.

14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny how you can hardly tell who's a troll anymore.

A person could be parroting right-wing talking points, Tea Party talking points and be completely serious about it.

It's hard to tell.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Only successful claims will be allowed.

In the same way that only very bad men will be detained.

16. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha no white as could be. He was a good guy, but why three settlements? Perhaps somebody can explain why you can continually seek recourse for tort and liability cases, but double jeopardy is illegal in criminal cases?

One major problem with tort suits is that it drives up the prices, and makes investing in things like life-saving prescription drugs less likely. Besides the myraid of hoops the FDA puts these companies through, the idea of sinking a lot of money into a product is a lot less likely if you are going to get sued by anybody who so much as sneezes after taking a pill. Now don't get me wrong, I understand a lot of tort suits are needed and as a result of negligence, but for the most part it ends up hurting the people who need the drugs the most- the sick and needy.

17. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Maybe the company screwed up in three different ways? Or there were three defendants who had their share in the screw up? You have a habit of presenting your arguments in vague, unverifiable (and plausibly deniable) ways which makes cynical, meanspirited people conclude that you don't know what you're talking about.
    Bullshit, says Tom Baker, a law professor at the University of Connecticut who studies insurance, who argues:
    If only there were people whose jobs were to judge which cases should go to trial and which cases shouldn't. If only!
    Please elaborate. Present numbers. Show us how you got to "most". Thanks!

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I really doubt anyone can. I do alright in the law game and either you or the "guy" are full of it.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Against the same defendant for the same harm? You cannot. Res judicata, law of the case, etc.

Your posts continue to demonstrate that you're completely clueless.

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And fat

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every one of you ********ers quoting that guy owes me...SOMEthing.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost looks like a strategy, at this point. Because you're right--it's an ongoing thing with them.

We need a Teabagger corrollary to Poe's Law.

23. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will reconsider my position on tort reform.

24. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This needs to be here too. Gabrielle Giffords steps down from Congress.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nguu0TkCTd4"]Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Steps Down from Congress - YouTube[/ame]