Congresswoman shot in Arizona

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Deep Wilcox, Jan 8, 2011.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will come back and change my tune if this isn't what appears obvious. But, when no one held Rand Paul accountable for his staffer stomping on a woman's head outside a debate, I felt like we were in a really bad place. You keep inciting violence, then play dumb when it actually happens, this is where it leads.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately. When someone runs up to a politician at a political event and shoots said person in the head ...... well, unless this person is a certified crazy person like Reagan's shooter, we know what this is. Since that's possible, I guess I'll hold my tongue. However, the fact that this guy seemed to spray the crowd as well (her supporters), it seems to me that his motivation becomes a bit clearer.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you like to have happened to Rand Paul for an action he didn't commit and didn't request the person who did it commit?

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Hospital confirms that she's alive and in surgery. She was shot in the head. Everyone else taken to the Hospital is in either Serious or Critical condition, including the child.

This CNN desk guy reminds me of Mr. Rogers.

5. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A public mea culpa rather than a shunning of responsibility. He didn't directly request the act, but his team spewed the rhetoric that provided the atmosphere for the same to occur.

It would have been nice if his cheerleading network had actually held him to some account. If the boot had been on the foot of a liberal....

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hospital spokesperson said congresswoman still undergoing surgery

A local cartoonist/op-ed writer said on CNN that this was "invevitable" in AZ given all the heated rhetoric and their love of guns

7. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I despise the Tea Party and their violent rhetoric about as much as anyone, but I want to wait for the facts to come in before, to quote the President, knowing whose ass to kick.

Either way, there's going to be a lot of political maneuvering the next few days to disown responsibility and assign blame over this.

8. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her husband is scheduled to be the pilot of the next Space Shuttle mission also.

My first though when seeing a politician from Arizona shot was it was due to their position on immigration reform, but I didn't know which side she was on.

All sides (and especially the right) need to tone down the volume of political hate speech in this country. Just because you disagree with someone on a political issue does that mean they are a bad person. To much of the debate in this country has fallen to demonizing anyone that disagrees with you. It is time to stop that.

9. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    It would be typical of a teabagger to only wound a person on gov't paid healthcare.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Doing a little research it seems only one other US Congressperson has been killed in the line of duty.

Congressman Leo Ryan was assassinated in Guyana, in 1978.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    No need to wait when Sarah Palin had her marked with a gunsight.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right as far as the House. Of course there was Senator Robert Kennedy.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    An older article on the couple:
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/06/01/20080601Giffords0601.html
    "After a three-year courtship, Giffords and Kelly got married ... The ceremony was held at an organic produce farm ... All the food was local, the plates were biodegradable, Giffords borrowed a wedding dress, and the gift for attendees was a jar of honey"
    "It's a NASA tradition that astronauts and their spouses write each other a letter before their flight in case anything goes terribly wrong. ... the letters are taken seriously. "You write a letter to each other," Giffords says. "I told him how much I love him and how proud I am of him.""
    Let's hope he doesn't have to open her letter.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    IIRC Jim Jones' Jonestown goons shot him on the air strip as he was going back to the US to report on the insanity down there

As bad as that was, getting shot at a Safeway in your own district is even worse

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Along with Senator Kennedy, this also depends on how you characterize the KAL 007 incident and the death of Larry McDonald.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Brilliant. Fox News just went live to their Tuscon affiliate. KGUN. Can't make it up.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Is that webpage still up? What a truly stupid woman she is...scary stupid

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The staffer who committed the act was fired and Paul condemned the act. What more was he supposed to do?

For everyone attributing this shooting to political motives, does that mean it's ok to discuss Giffords' political beliefs, such as her support of putting people in jail and ruining their lives and the lives of their families for their possession of marijuana?

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the original site has taken it down. Now that, y'know, it might be used as evidence of being an accessory to murder.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    would this be an assassination?

21. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. She totally deserved to be shot in the head for that.

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CNN is taking video from KGUN as well.

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The server is down. Either somebody that works for her has some brains or there was an influx of people checking it out now that crashed the server.

24. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    A Federal Judge was also injured in this.