Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    benni... repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    MUTV is broadcasting today's training session live from UCLA -- getting on their feet right now. Lukaku looks even more a beast in his sleeveless shirt.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JamesA and SyedZada repped this.
  7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. One can conjure up legitimate complaints about Mourinho's first season at OT, but his handling of and final disposal of Rooney was masterful.

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just out of curiosity, is there still a #JoseOut chorus here (Teso and benni come to mind) or was all that just for a couple of weeks at the end of the season?

12. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    A ton of posters would prefer to see a different coach/never wanted him.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Nothing has changed. A lot depends on our remaining transfer activity and how he sets up the team next season. A continuation of last season with everyone back and long balls punted forward to Lukaku is unacceptable.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, if United stumble into sixth place again and disgrace the club with grim LVGesque football of course he should be sacked.

But my question remains whether you and benni still believe Jose should have been sacked in May and that he should be sacked now?

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I still believe he saved his job based on a technicality. The performance level was unacceptable. The league finish was abysmal. He misused players. He mucked around with our system. He gambled the lot on Ibrahimovic and it backfired.

We have CL qualification and we have spent big again so he has no excuses, nowhere to hide and no leeway. We must secure top four in the league or he must go. It is that simple.

Gilma1990 and JC7rox repped this.
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So I'll take that as a yes, that in your judgment Jose should have been sacked in May.

Ok, but what's this nonsense about a "technicality"? If you're referring to the EL trophy that's hardly a "technicality". You might have preferred that we finished fourth in the league than won a European trophy, but there was nothing "technical" about qualifying for the CL in the manner that we did.

The league finish was indeed "abysmal", but it was clearly a case of Jose resting key players in league games to put out the best side possible in cup play.

The performance level dropped precipitously for several reasons, but Jose's tactics were not one of the them. What hurt us above all else was poor finishing by players not names Zlatan Ibrahimovic. No opposing defender had much to worry about after Ibra. Not Martial and Miki, neither of whom presented a consistent serious scoring threat. Not Rashford, who at the time was still only 19 (or maybe 18). Not Rooney, whom Mourinho quite appropriately relegated to the bench.

The allegation that he "misused players" is pure rubbish. You're guy who was desperate to keep Memphis and rid us of Ibra, which tells all. Who exactly was "misused"? Valencia? Romero? Herrera? Jones?

The allegation that he "mucked around with our system" is horseshit. We had one reliable scoring threat and he played to that strength. We were second in the league in goals conceded. The "system" he inherited from LVG was in shambles, unless you're a big fan of fascist sideways passing and creating one or two chances per game. Mourinho took a hopelessly broken side -- "my captain shall always play no matter how shit he is" -- and began to dig us out of the smoking hole Louis left him.

He gambled the lot of Ibra indeed and it actually worked until he suffered a major injury. We just didn't have the phalanx of scorers you must be believe we had. We had the inevitable sophomore slump in Martial and we have the teenage wonder in Rashford, but who else was going to score buckets of goals for us? Not Rooney and not Lingard. You could say Miki but Miki got off slowly at the beginning of the season and really only found his feet in December, by which time our Top Four hopes were up in smoke. Mata was never going to score 20 goals for us, let alone 30.

What "backfired" was the unfounded belief that we were good enough to dominate the league in 16/17. We just weren't. And there was no way we could have done any better than bring in Ibra, Pogba, Bailly and Miki. Not even United can go full galactico and completely rebuild a squad in one summer transfer window.

17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Big budget and looks to spend it on garbage. Calls out Woodward but the problems is really his list. Does he not have a back up plan for each player he covets?

We will be seeing long punts to Lukaku. Bet on that.

18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree the jury is out on Lindelof, but is Lukaku really "garbage"? My notes indicate he was the second leading scorer in the league, while playing for a fairly mediocre club. And he's no one-season-wonder, either. And he's a very physical striker, which is a good thing in this league.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    for me the issue wouldn't be not having back ups. i'm OK with him saying get a Pogba or bust, at least he'd be focusing on the top quality players.

what would worry me is if the lists are headed by the Diers, Matićs and Perišićs of the world (not that i think they are but still)

21. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is nothing that indicates that his list is headed by any others, nor is there a fall back plan. Reports indicating that he wants to sort out Woody are troubling. For him, it is the Diers, the Perisices, the Matices or Woody is the problem.

I want to be wrong but then I remember who the manager is.

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Wonder where Ibra will end up ? Will he stay at ManU ?

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yeah, I think he plays for us in the second half of the season. Depends on how our second is going. If Teso is right that Jose isn't capable of properly managing United and we're floundering in January I suspect Ibra goes to MLS. But if we're in the hunt for a major trophy I think he's definitely going to be interested in joining the party, even if it means playing second fiddle to Lukaku.

After 17/18, surely not.

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I heard a whisper they PSG have made enquiries . Seems entirely possible tbh

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States