Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Balderdash. Who exactly in the EL was a more deserving winner of that cup than United? Not Ajax. Not Celta. No Anderfukkinglecht. Not St. Etienne and certainly not Rostov.

Truth is, it was as obvious as obvious can be that the EL was ours for the taking -- if we wanted it. And by November/December it was clear as clear can be that we were going to be in a dogfight at best for fourth place and that if we wanted to return to the CL the only realistic path to getting there was by winning by the EL, which in the end we did relatively easily. No, we didn't crush our opponents 5-0 week after week but at no point in the tournament were we at any serious risk of getting dropped. A few close shaves, no question, but at no point could anyone argue that United were outclassed by any of its opponents.

Mourinho indeed "made a lot of poor questions" but I'd much rather enjoy success -- which in this case is defined entirely by returning to the CL -- and make some poor decisions along the way than to make the right decision every single time (which of course never happens, going back to Ferguson to Busby all the way back top Chapman, an Arsenal manager a long time ago) and to be unsuccessful in realizing our goals.

2. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bro, Celta dominated us in the second leg where we were at home. We were extremely lucky to scrape by. They should've had like 4 goals in that game.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Apparently having standards makes me a glory hunter. :ROFLMAO:

J'can, United 16 and Gilma1990 repped this.
  4. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @gatekeeper2 this isn't some second rate mid-table team. This is Manchester United. We expect win and to win big. If you're going to settle for shit performances then you might as well support a different club.

J'can and United 16 repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose in Monaco for the F1 Grand Prix this weekend. With Red Bull team members Ricciardo and Max Verstappen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Someone mentioned in Twitter that Lewandowski was also there [emoji8]

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Monte Carlo GP is always chock full of top athletes and celebs. Betting that Carrick, among others, was probably there. He's a big racing/F1 guy.

8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hopefully after he goes which looks sooner than later, we stop appointing stuck in past defensive coaches.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Jose wasn't hanging out with the Ferrari team....

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bro, if you're going to play the "should've" game we should've crushed Celta. At no point they did they look the better side, even when we sat back to defend the lead. At no point did the final score not reflect who deserved victory.

12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dude, you're a glory hunter.

13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't switch clubs because the club I've supported for decades is going through a rough patch. I leave that kind of behavior up to you and Teso.

14. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bro, you're delusional

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Spalletti is available again. :thumbsup:

Gilma1990 repped this.
  17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can't wait for your post claiming that Celta actually beat us. And after I correct you on that then you'll pivot and argue that Ajax were the better side. As were St. Etienne and Rostov. Anything top debase yourself.

Give it up. We won the fukking EL cup. When we saw who we were up against in the group stage we all knew we'd made it out of the group. When we drew St. Etienne nobody here shit their pants. Nobody shit their pants when we drew Rostov and everyone else we drew, including Celta and Ajax. At no point did we ever look like a side who were outplayed, outclassed or outgunned.

I'll grant you that some here were "nervous" about the cup final but in the end Ajax we handled Ajax fairly easily, did we not?

History records that we won the EL cup and unless you can produce a single media analysis that argues that we were not the best side in the tournament -- yes, I know we should never have been in this tournament, but that's a point of debate for another day -- you're the one who's living of life of delusion.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude are you blind? Did you not see how Celta peppered our goal in the second leg at OT? Do you not recall the ping pong ball in the last minute that almost went in and would've put Celta through?

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luck is an integral part of cup competitions. End result still is that we won.

21. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    J'can repped this.
  22. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I just find it laughable that @gatekeeper2 doesn't't acknowledge the fact that we got outplayed at OT in the second leg.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's hardly news...

24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dude, we sat back with the lead in hand and invited Celta to have the ball. Do you not even bother paying attention?

I know it's hard for you and Teso -- not sure which one of you is the sock account of the other -- to accept, but we won the tie and no one argues that Celta were the better side.

When one side chooses to defend and allows the other team to control possession, it doesn't follow that the defending team is being "outplayed".

You and Teso clearly know shit about football, so let's go to American football to illustrate the point. In American football, when one team has the lead late in the -- as United did when it had a lead on Celta -- the coach instructs the defense to sit back and allow the opposing offense to have their first downs, always making sure it doesn't concede a long pass. This is called a prevent (oddly pronounced PRE-vent) defense. The idea is to run down the clock, even if it means allowing the offense to gain yardage it wouldn't otherwise gain in a "normal" defensive set.

United were in no way chasing a goal late in the game against Celta -- nor did we need to and we would have been out of our fukking mind had we done so. We let them have the ball. Why might that be? Well, had we played an open game late in the game we'd be more susceptible to a successful attack by Celta. By sitting back -- I can't believe I actually have to explain this to you -- we kept bodies inside the 18 yard box to minimize the opportunity for Celta to create great scoring chances. The alternative, to have gone for another goal while sitting on a lead to end the tie, would have invited disaster. What good would have come from open play that late in the game? None. We would have risked far too much for absolutely nothing.

You and Teso, or Teso and you, should consider familiarizing yourselves with the basics of football.