Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    NorthBank repped this.
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First, you need to consult a dictionary to comprehend what the word "hypocrite" actually means. A minister who keeps a mistress, for example, is a "hypocrite". The definition of hypocrite is as follows:

The definition of a hypocrite is a person who pretends to have certain beliefs, attitudes or feelings when they really do not.

An example of a hypocrite is a person who says they care about the environment, but are constantly littering.

Second, it was common knowledge here on BigSoccer that Mourinho consistently brooded during pre-season, moaning about just about everything. He constantly criticized the players and blamed the board for not endorsing his transfer wish list. Apart from Sanchez, our players performed very poorly in pre-season -- a fact which was widely remarked upon here, which I never disagreed with. And lastly, more than a few posters here demanded he be sacked before league play began. A few posters here demanding Jose's sacking in the middle of last season.

That Jose was on thin ice with many United supporters through the end of last season and well into pre-season should in no way be news to even you. I personally felt that Jose did an acceptable, but only acceptable, job of it last season. But all the signs of deterioration of his grip on tactics and on the players was evident in pre-season, which many if not most posters here on BigSoccer regularly observed and commented on -- to the point where it became an overwhelming consensus here that as the season began that Mourinho was no longer the right man for the job. I do not claim to have had any special insight -- that Mourinho should be sacked (not that he would, but that he should) was a commonly held belief here as the season began.

And as we all know, we all knew about the problems Mourinho had had in his third season with previous clubs. Once again, this was common knowledge.

3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Hey EVERYONE, thank god we didn't get Perisic.

johno and benni... repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Mourinho's time as a top manager over?

www.bbc.com/sport/football/46602916

Still baffles me that he is being linked to Real. But hey, if Perez thinks he's the answer and gives a slightly better chance at Pochettino, then it's all good.

5. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    his finished in England as a top manager, his burned bridges in Barcelona and Madrid,

sad fall from grace

6. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I will be fascinated to see where he ends up. I really can't see another truly massive club going for him - I think there is just too much negativity surrounding his time at United, but some club at the next level below will surely be desperate enough. For as much as his time here was ultimately a failure he did pick up a couple more trophies. Someone will talk themselves into it. Maybe one of the bigger Italian teams given that his cynical style is not as much of a negative there.

I also have thought many times that he would be well suited as a national team coach. His man management style (being a prick) might work better with less frequent exposure to the players. And his tactical style, attempting always to nullify the opponent, has always been better suited to cup competitions in my estimation. With most national-team jobs being single-cycle it might suit his tendency to burn through people's good graces at every job as well. It doesn't keep you in the papers every week though and I'm not sure how he would take to that.

7. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    IIRC, Jose was let go by Chelsea after a loss to Leicester, not Klopp.

I am eager to see what this team looks like when its full attacking potential is unleashed. Matic was ok the first season, but he needs to go.

We also need to get rid of Jones, Smalling, Darmian, Fellaini, and Sanchez. Am I missing anyone?

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Im still hopeful on Sanchez coming good.

9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Let them get Jose, we should be spending whatever fortune reported (34£million) to get Poch.

10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We missed it by a day!

J'can repped this.
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Portuguese NT

thenamestsam repped this.
  12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Like I said. You're a ********ing hypocrite. You were backing him right through the early part of the fall. You posted that above at the end of August and into September.

We had a manager problem ages ago.

Many of us on here were calling for his head late last season and especially back in July and August. You said we'd be crazy to sack him them.

And now you have the balls to say "It’s a shame the sacking didn’t happen in pre-season, when the warning signs were already in plain view."

Get out of here with that ********ing shit.

Naboomagnoli, benni... and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I'm sorry, who are you talking to? I must have them on ignore.

PS, I was elated to read this news this morning. Like top of the ********ing world. Great news and it has been rumoured that we are waiting to appoint a long term replacement until after we hire a DOF. That would be the best possible news.

15. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So.... did anything happen today?

Father Ted and benni... repped this.
  16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Is that what he's up to these days? Jesus.

I guess it's easier to try and revise your opinion on the quiet when nobody's listening.

benni... repped this.
  17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You should consider taking medication for your persistent adolescence.

Yes, it would have been crazy to sack a manager who had taken us up to second place. We didn’t like his tactics but we couldn’t argue with the league table as no one was ever going to catch City last season. But when Mourinho set the poisonous atmosphere that was clearly evident in pre-season alarm bells were ringing. We might not have known how much things would deteriorate but it was clear to everyone here there was a serious problem. When poor results in the league started pouring in it became undebatable that this was going in the wrong direction. Better late than never, but the sacking should have happened much sooner than it did.

Now good back to your room.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a couple of videos that have featured Mourinho since the ax fell down on him (the first as he was leaving the Lowry for good and the second one on his morning walk back home in London), he already looks like a different man. Relaxed, smiling and like a huge burden has been lifted off him.
    Really was the best thing for all parties concerned here.

19. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Um, duh, how would you feel about a severance of 24MM? I'd feel tits, personally.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That surely has some bearing, but he's already got plenty of money and not like he's newly wealthy. Was really making an observation on his look/appearance, which is completely different from the angry, stressed out figure he cut most of this season. Frankly speaking, he looked terrible the majority of the time.
    The difference is very noticeable, as far as I'm concerned...

21. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i'll say it again: he got what he wanted. he knew what he was doing benching pogba for the full 90 vs liverpool. he does look much better, i think he didn't properly appreciate how difficult life would be in manchester by himself with his family in london.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Everyone that comes to United finds difficult. It is too much to take on without a DoF.

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No. I have sympathy for Moyes just because he took an unwinnable job and got crushed for it. LvG and Jose failed on their own. Sure the club wasn’t setup perfectly for them with a DOF in place to limit their influence but that’s the case at a lot of clubs. They failed because their style was too archaic and they aimed too low in talent brought in (LVG) and because they have failed to adapt to the modern game and don’t know how to man manage and get the best from their players (Jose).

jnielsen and J'can repped this.
  24. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He wanted to be fired.

25. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    No. I disagree. Sir Alex knew how to delegate and the people he delegated things were exceptional at what they did. From recruiting to tacticians to signing players. LVG and Jose had to do it all because they never did it all in the beginning or if they did, it was at a smaller scale.

LVG from Bayern to Barca you had sporting directors, Chelsea to Inter to Real had sporting directors.

If you did not have sporting directors you would managing AZ Alkmaar or maybe Chelsea for a small stint without one. Maybe someone can pull up some history and find correlation between their tenure and DoF at said club.