Confirmed and Official - Welcome to Old Trafford José Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Note that I didn't respond to that part of your post, just your reading of the City situation.

I think it's a brilliant window. It's maybe two notches above a disaster, in terms of competing with this squad. There are a ********load of notches between us and that point.

But hey, we're losing Mou inside a year. And we're going to get a DoF in the process.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    if the director of football is the final straw that forces him out then by all means let's do it. provided he is competent and matches the vision of the club and next manager

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The next manager needs to match the direction set by the DoF.

4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    meh, it's a disaster window because united fans are not used to management giving up on the title before a ball is kicked. there was a massive gap to bridge, and united simply didn't. it's a disaster window if the idea was to compete with city this year.

united are going to finish 2nd at best, 3rd if liverpool plays up to its potential, and CL is not a given if chelsea clicks and kane keeps scoring every game. that's bleak.

jose has not delivered and firing him this summer would have been completely fair. but since the football side is run by an accountant, united chose the worst football outcome: keeping a lame duck manager stripped of his power to save money.

Serengeti_Boy, Naboomagnoli and JC7rox repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I said earlier we'll be outside the top 4. I am fine with that if it means some old heads go and a DoF comes with Mou trying to play an imposing style of play.

7. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like the idea of a DOF but I would prioritize canning Mourinho first. The new DOF can have a hand in hiring the next boss. Mou has already complained about how Managers are no longer managers and more like coaches. United is going to have to start from scratch.

I completely agree with the first part of the post. It is difficult as a supporter to go into a season with little to no prospect of achieving something.

On the second bolded part, I am not so sure the failure to sign someone was down to money exactly. It seems to me that Mou prioritized the CB position over all others and the board rejected shelling out for a CB for the third summer in a row.

I do also agree, though, that the club chose the worst option on the table. It looks more and more that this might be a throwaway season as far as the club is concerned. Lets see what the players have to say about that.

8. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    from mourinho's.comments, it seems like he prioritized the cb position vecause he didnt believe the board was willing/able to bring a winger and a left back as well...

and, to be clear, it's ok for woodward to reject mourinho's targets. BUT the fact that he spent the last day of the transfer window trying to panic-buy godin and briefng journalists that he had 100 mil ready for varane (and a billion for messi, i'm sure) leads me to believe that he didnt have much of a plan either.

9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "fans are not used to management giving up on the title before a ball is kicked."

We should never get used to posters making ridiculous claims about the title being given up on before a ball is kicked.

The real problem is that some United supporters have become spoiled. 5 titles in 7 seasons, missing on the other two by the slimmest of margins -- not hard to see how this happened.

The squad is substantially stronger than it was two seasons ago and we came in second last season against an outstanding City squad. We're no guarantee to win it this year, of course, but the point of all of this is not confirming a pre-ordained conclusion -- United winning the EPL trophy -- but bearing witness to the drama of a club making a run for the trophy.

We may come up short...but we also could pull it out. Not knowing which it will be and being witness to how the challenge is met is what it's all about.

10. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    This is the crux of it, whether you think it's a disaster or just close to one. We hugely overperformed last season as far as points to performance are concerned and regression to the norm beckons. We are very unlikely to get within 10 points of last year, our dressing room under Mou will never regain the same level of harmony as we had at the start of last season and Alexis is very unlikely to be as effective as Martial or Rashford were prior to his signing.

11. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    @gatekeeper2 all that to say "all teams start the season with a perfect record." ok, sure.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The best part about all these future manager articles and future DOF articles is that you know Jose is seeing them. If he wasn't lashing out before, you can bet your ass he's going to up it a notch. He might turn his anger more towards the media who we all know he's not very fond of.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United hierarchy unconcerned by Mourinho's 3rd season syndrome.

www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11473493/manchester-united-hierarchy-unconcerned-by-jose-mourinho-8216third-season-syndrome8217

Interesting, although I guess they would never admit publicly otherwise.
    Still hoping that Mourinho does enough to have us finish Top 4 at a minimum (a club of our stature can't miss out on this for prestige alone).
    Already on record anyway that unless we win a major trophy (Prem or CL), Mourinho has to leave by the end of the season at the latest.
    Would be nice if somehow the season does not become a dumpster fire...

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    4th place would be ideal. Keeps us in CL the following year but enough of a drop off to get him canned.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I reckon they have already spoken to Zizou and he will take over next season after a year off. Would explain why they held back some of this years transfer budget.

In some ways may challenge Mou to deliver something his final year but is a risk - he will either want to have a good year to get some value back into his stock / legacy or he will blow up spectacularly.

How he manages Pogba in particular will be at the centre of this storm and decide its outcome.

16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think you could be onto something here myself.

What's the worse case anyway? Jose blows it up and we finish 6th or 7th?

Even that wont cripple us for a year. Not if we know we had Zizou coming in, and being able to use his name to sell players on the project. Especially the likes of Pogba or Martial.

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    While I would love that, I very much doubt that's true. Then what happens if Jose somehow exceeds expectations and we challenge for the title? If that happened a majority of the fans would have his back and firing him would cause outrage.

I wouldn't be surprised if we've reached out to ZZ to see how he feels about United and possibly coaching next season (with a chance of taking over soon if Jose implodes), but I highly doubt he's been promised the job.

18. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You don't think the prospect of having Zidane at United would temper disappointment if Mou is yanked?

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe, but you have to take into account that most United fans are much more casual/unintelligent than the posters here. If we somehow were to challenge for the title this year, I believe they would fully back Jose.

20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    In such a divergent alternate universe I’d expect our bigger worry to be the invasion and military occupation of most of Western Europe by Costa Rica.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually believe that I see only 2 possible ways for the fans who are either on the fence about Mourinho or who want him to go, to possibly change their mind about him this season.
    Either he delivers a major title for the club this season, or they might settle for less, provided that the quality of our football had markedly improved this season.
    With both scenarios a distant possibility at best at this time, I think that the majority of the fans will be done with Mourinho (just like our board, I believe) by season's end and more than ready for a new manager.
    The fans who are pro-Mourinho will be so no matter what and they're really the minority, when it's all said and done.

22. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Does this result in all players being molded into Wanchope?

johno repped this.
  23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Take a peek at Twitter and I think you’ll be surprised. A good majority of people support Jose. A lot of them are the “support United managers blindly” type while the others aren’t clued in enough to recognize that he hasn’t been a good manager for some time now. You cant underestimate the stupidity of the average United fan.

24. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On that same token, Zidane is a bigger celebrity name in football. They might be accepting just based on that.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you, but that is precisely why what happens in the realm of Twitter only means so much to me. Regardless of the field (be it sports, politics and entertainment), Twitter somehow has this uncanny effect of making it look like people do not have a functioning brain and just tends to bring out the worst in them.I do get the value in it, but for me the cons have surpassed the pros exceedingly, to the point I'm no longer on there.
    I honestly believe that the majority of the fans worldwide are close to or are all but done with Mourinho (unless he delivers what we pretty much know he won't) and are just running out the string.
    At the end of the day, what matters most is for the board and Woodward to come to the right decision, by season's end.