Come At me Brough: Brad Guzan at Middlesbrough

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by wsmaugham, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Villa is a League One team at this point.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  3. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purity of the strike. If Rooney's foot had made contact I'd consider that to be a better goal, not that it wasn't brilliant.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That van Persie goal (including the pass) was a thing of beauty. It is deceptively hard to stutter-step while running while watching a long ball while setting up the left while gauging the keeper and goal. That is a deceptively hard goal - not that Rooney Chileano is not awesome too, but the RvP goal is way, way harder than it looks. Few players first time that ball out of the air. And fewer still don't shank it if they try.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    maybe i'm biased but either Torres or Suarez had more difficult and amazing goals

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    any news on Guzan or the club?

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I couldn't hit any of them, so I'm happy to give it to whichever. I'm just saying that vanP goal is deceptively tricky (and the pass is awesome, which probably is part of the package.)

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'll take that as a 'no.'

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not sure exactly what news there might be, given that everyone has been on international break.

Guzan is not hurt and is predicted to be in the provisional squad for the Watford conflagration. Seems few think he will start. But then again, who ever thought Linda Hunt would win an oscar? Boro need to get some more points one of these days. I think they have 1 in their last 4?

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I guess that's the long and the short of it.

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boro drops another one, to Watford, and are on the very edge of the relegation zone. 1 point in their last 5 matches combined, all with Valdes starting. Valdes was mostly fine today but had one awful moment, a very slow reaction on Watford's goal that most keepers should have saved. It was a good shot but should have been saved. Going on age 35, Valdes is not a terrible keeper but he's not good either, certainly not nearly what he used to be. Doesn't look like the (Spanish) manager will be playing Guzan anytime soon, though. Things aren't exactly looking up for Boro -- they have been playing a relatively easy part of their schedule, and from now through next month, their schedule consists of @ Arsenal, a surprisingly upstart Bournemouth, @ Man City, Chelsea, and @ Leicester.

12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I thought the commentator on NBC was too generous with his "Valdez had no chance" appraisal. Would've required a very good save, but I thought it was savable.

Regardless, they'll probably need to be on an extended losing streak before Guzan gets a chance. I hope he has a lot of gum to keep him busy.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a brutal schedule.......and was about to say the same of Valdes, should have stopped that, but reacted like molasses

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what about the other 2 keepers in the squad?

15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One argument in favor of Guzan and against Valdes is their height difference, in that Guzan is 4 inches taller. Valdes, at an even 6 feet, is the shortest starting keeper in the Premier League. There is no other starting EPL keeper shorter than 6'1", with many standing at 6'4" or more. Valdes' reaction wasn't good but he still might have been able to get a save there if he were simply taller or had a longer wingspan, and that applies to other instances this season. Guzan has his flaws but he is relatively tall and has the wingspan of a condor. It's a huge risk to start a 6'0" keeper in the Premier League unless his reactions are superb, and Valdes does not have that anymore.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty clear that Karanka doesn't rate Dimi K. for the Premier League. It seems that even Mejias has surpassed him, as Mejias was in warmups with Valdes and Guzan while Dimi was nowhere to be found. They also have a fifth keeper, 23-yo Connor Ripley, who was on England's 2013 U-20 WC squad, and is starting in League One on loan. At this point, I have no idea why they would keep Dimi, who turns 38 a month from now, other than for sentimental reasons.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    isn't Casillas also 6 feet or 5'11? I've seen photos that indicate the later. Pretty incredible since these days all the rage in keepers are 6'3/6'4 or higher keepers. Other top Spanish keepers are noticeably taller like Reina/DeGea who are 6'2 with Lopez being 6'3.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casillas is 6'1". You're right that he's relatively short for a keeper, but even he is taller than Valdes.

russ repped this.
  19. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Is that right? I would think mandanda to be fairly short.

Regardless, I'm surprised Valdez is still starting over guz.

I though mazzari might do well with watford. His work with Napoli has been under appreciated.

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mandanda is 6'1". You're absolutely correct that Mandanda is short for a goalkeeper, and Valdes is even shorter than him.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    that's his "reported height". dude is barely 6 feet max. you can notice it in pics with Ronaldo who is 6'1

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    which is impressive that Rimando is 5'9 and has been a Legend in MLS

23. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got amazing reflexes, and he closes down really well 1v1. But on the other hand, you do see balls in the upper parts of the net, looping headers and shots, sometimes go in because Rimando is so short.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's shocking they wouldn't send either of those 2 out on loan at least to take their salary off the books.

Hopefully Guzan can get a chance soon. If not then perhaps in December when the fixtures are like every few days, maybe he can take that spot and keep it.