Post-match: Columbus v Orlando post-match thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Jul 21, 2018.

1. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was unhappy for most of the game. At one point in the 2nd half, my son asked me if I was mad. I said, yes I am. I hate watching bad soccer coupled with poor officiating. That was mostly an awful game.

I left very happy. Amazing what an incredible goal will do for my mood.

redi44crew repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All of that.

3. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That goal and three points :)

MLSinSTL repped this.
  4. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    @hangthadj : how was/is the bluegrass festival?

stanger repped this.
  5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I stayed for the entire match , I’m not the type to leave early. I’ve witnessed too many comebacks and sitting in the parking lot traffic is never better which is what happens if you leave.

Officials were horrendous all night , certainly think the PK we were gifted seemed soft but hard to tell from my seat vrs tv replay.

Would have been a devastating loss considering all factors and that is what made it so great. Sosa hopefully learned his lesson. It’s clear to me that Sosa should take over for Higuain soon and that Higuain needs to take less money not sure why we extended him another year at same rate.

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So tired. Cannot stress that. Kids woke up around three, and I for certain felt like death warmed up.

The kids and I are re-watching the game this morning.

I snagged a few of the Matchdays yesterday when they did not seem to be handing them out due to rain. But I wanted to keep Markus’ beautiful 2018 Crew door theme going. And Zack was on the front.

Well Markus looked through it, pointed to Mullins in the pamphlet, and said, “hey this guy is new!” Now that shocked me because I was surprised Markus would notice.

I had forgotten to tell him we had picked him up. I guess I need to keep him in the loop going forward.

SourCream&OnionUtd and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 CybrSlydr, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Ben Ferree‏ @ben_ferree 10h10 hours ago
    Wil Trapp estimated his shot was from 42 yards, which he called an “irresponsible distance.” So why take it? “Gotta shoot your shot.”

Save The Crew and 1 other liked

[​IMG]Kyle Robertson‏Verified account @KRobPhoto 7h7 hours ago
    After some deep digging in my archives, it's been 3173 days between home goals at Crew Stadium/MAPFRE Stadium for @wil_trapp. Both were game winners too! #CrewSC @ColumbusCrewSC

Gyasi Zardes‏Verified account @gyasinho 6h6 hours ago
    Amazing team performance last night. @wil_trapp with the game winner! Maisie Grace showed me what she thought about the game. #allglorytoGod #Wolfpack

1020927474392289280 is not a valid tweet id

Every single one of those players is SPRINTING after Wil to celebrate - that's how important that goal was to this team.

Last Word on Soccer‏ @LastWordSC 11h11 hours ago
    Your future goal of the week winner right here! GOOD GAWD WIL TRAPP!!! [​IMG] #CrewSC #CLBvORL

ProSoccerUSA.com‏ @ProSoccerUSAcom 9h9 hours ago
    Crew SC's Wil Trapp on late game-winner: 'You gotta shoot your shot' https://trib.al/zoBLNWK

8. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Honestly I'm kind of surprised the matchdays were updated to include him!

9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long has it been since we've bagged a Goal of the Week? Some great goals scored, of course, but it's a popularity contest, not one that's formulaic. Some other club's fans have just stuffed more GotW ballot boxes than we have, and we end up losing out. Still, this time, come one, people... This has to win in a landslide.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Good on you for staying the entire game. You paid for the ticket, parking and whatever else so you deserve a full game. Leaving a tie game with a few minutes remaining is like enjoying a book then deciding not to read the last two chapters.

Refs were atrocious but they gave us a soft PK.

Disagree about Higs. We had a gap in the center all night and a better team would have exploited the space.

SourCream&OnionUtd and TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It drives me absolutely nuts - my mom chooses whether to read a book or not by reading the last chapter first.

!!!

12. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My thinking on Higuain is he is fit to start maybe 20 games not 34. I like Sosa and hope he plays more and last night Your correct about the gap because Sosa is the only guy we have that plays the CAM/ Higuain role well on our current roster. But Higuain makes to much money he is too old to have fresh legs in a demanding postion of such a attacking offense as ours. We should have already replaced him with a better and younger option instead of adding a additional year on his contract .

So please breakdown why we should keep Higuain? And count on him to be a regular starter in stretches where MLS gives you so many games etc...

13. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    It was a good ending to a pretty miserable game. The ref was really bad. We are weak up the middle without Higuain or someone like him. Argudo and Jansen bothe hold the ball too long and try to win by individual play. They try to beat four or five guys. It might happen but more than likely they will lose the ball. Higuain can make the play. If there are five guys closing in on you then someone is open.

The rain delay worked in my favor for once. My wife didn't get off work until 7:30 so we didn't miss the beginning of the game.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Headed home now. Best weekend of the summer, again. Made reservations at the hotel for next year on the way out.

redi44crew repped this.
  15. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hope you recorded the gm or that you got to watch it, at least the end of the gm anyways

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Breakdown is simple. This is MLS with AP at the helm. A younger, better, cheaper option will wear a different jersey if we can even find one. I agree Higs is on his last legs but we control the center and get more out of our wing players with Higs on the field. Until there is a suitable replacement on the field and in the FO this is our best option.

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Who were the standout performers?

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Steep Canyon Rangers, Sam Bush, Traveling McCoury’s, Lonely Heatstring Band, Man About a Horse, New Orleans Suspects.

But the one who really stood out to me that I hadn’t heard about was Kaia Kater. What a great set. Need to do more research on her

Minnman and puttputtfc repped this.
  19. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And the scuffle was the ref’s fault for not getting that dick away frim Artur.

BTW, Orlando had been milking the clock even with no contact “injuries” when they were up. Then when Artur gets whacked on the ankle, they are suddenly Knights of Highest Honor. That #20 is some kind of special asshole.

stanger and TRUJDUB repped this.
  20. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petrescu is one of the worst refs in the entire league. Hate that guy.

ibrew and CrewV Man repped this.
  21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wil (one L) Trapp (two Ps).

puttputtfc repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I feel like Sosa would devolp into that but i think you pay for a DP cam and let Higuain go.

But regardless cut his pay so he is non DP and of Sosa devolps you just increase his minutes at Higuains expense .

So you like Sosa ? And How do think we should handle the handing of the torch ( removing Pipa from starting) let’s just assume AP won’t be here after this season

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too early to say Sosa is anything. He's gotten very few minutes so far, and not always in his best position. He's had some nice moments, but let's not act like he's been some sort of prodigy.

As far as Higuain goes, let's not forget everyone, he is #1 in the league in terms of key passes per game. And if you wanna break it down as key passes per 90 minutes, he's still #1 in the league among active players with 10 or more appearances.

The problem with this team is NOT Pipa. The problem is that other than Zardes, no one is scoring goals. Santos provides nothing. Martinez, for all his hard work, doesn't provide goals. Hansen gets some nice assists, but is still very inconsistent.

Our #1 priority for this window should be a scoring winger (assuming Steffen stays).

chr1st, SourCream&OnionUtd and Tobias C repped this.
  25. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the “chise” mean? Franchise?

Tobias C repped this.