Columbus Crew vs Chester Bimbo Boys | Match 31 - Sep. 29, 2018 7:30 PM ET

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Sep 24, 2018.

?

What will be the result of the Crew's 09/29/18 match vs Philadelphia?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

21.6%
  2. Win by one goal

48.6%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

2.7%
  4. Lose by one goal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

8.1%
  6. Ghana Win: any Ghanaian Crew player gets a goal or assist & Crew win by 2 or more (worth 2 points!!)

16.2%
  7. "A goal itself is but a shadow." - Pedro Santos

2.7%
  1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Sounds like a bunch of his BigSoccer kids were there.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know soccer haters who point to all those boring, scoreless ties? Sometimes they have a point.

Was Abubakar drunk out there? Meram... can someone make a highlight reel of him losing the ball in the attacking third? Hope you have somewhere comfortable to watch it, because it's likely to be as long as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Santos, what a useless signing.

The 2008 team would destroy the 2018 version. We're reasonably solid definitively, but offensively, we got nothing.

TrueCrew repped this.
  3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So after Higuain’s first goal and assist in three months last week can we agree that maybe the Great Higuain Rennassaince of September 2018 was a mirage. I mean we can’t play the Rapids every week.

We talk over and over about how this team isn’t creating chances and not scoring goals. We have a DP #10 in Higuain who recently had his contract extended who goes months without impacting games. While not invisible, he’s showing at this point in his career he is far from a player to build around.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's claiming that he's a player to build around? He's at the end of his career. With players like Meram and Santos on the wing, I doubt that Schelotto would be racking up big numbers, either. Better numbers than Higuain, certainly. But Schelotto was one of the greatest players to ever have appeared in MLS. Anyway, could we do better than Higuain? Of course. But this team's attacking issues go far beyond our number 10.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How Meram was not subbed out was beyond me. I guess maybe because he got into dangeroys areas at least.

Abubakar should not start, he simply makes too many dumb mistakes. I stand by my Gressel pick.

As poor as Pipa, Santos, and Meram were, we were even less threatening after Sosa & Hansen came on.

We have the second worst offense in the league.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well the Sporting Director for one. He has Higuain as one of the first names on the team sheet. He signed him to an extension. And the fans secondly who applauded the extension despite his declining form and utter lack of production.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was attendence? 11k ish?

8. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance was announced as over 12k. Certainly more than the announced 16k at the US Open Cup final in Houston.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I applauded the extension. Pipa is declining but he still has plenty to offer and we have no suitable backup. He had plenty of great passes yesterday out wide to Meram and Sosa. Problem is Meram and Sosa received the ball. I think our lack of offense stems from our poor wing play and reluctance to shoot from outside.

Minnman repped this.
  10. ohiotiger

ohiotiger Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Unless my eyes deceived me, it looked like they were serving queso in the tent under the south end.

11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was ambivalent about Pipa's extension. I would have rather 3G use our mountains of TAM/GAM to bring in either the young future core playmaker or a short-term hired gun until Pipa and Santos and Sauro's salaries could be offloaded or bought down. But he didn't, so re-sign Pipa, I guess, but I thought he would have then used the Garber Bux to better augment the team. He didn't. He did nothing in the transfer window to improve this team. It's disappointing and it's Gregg's fault. I'm ok with him going, but the timing is still shit with Precum holding the replacement decision. Hang will say I'm subscribing to the losing mentality, but I'm ok with riding this out as midtable also rans then Queso Boy picking someone else. Once the ownership situation is solved I want to see either 3G with more financial support to bring in better DPs and a short leash to prove he's netted than what he's shown or bring in a new hungry coach and sporting director. It sucks but I feel like we're just stuck right now. This isn't our year.

Minnman and puttputtfc repped this.
  12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh. What an entirely disappointing game. Trying to focus on the small positives outside of the lousy play (or lack of) on the field.

I agree that the 2008 versus 2018 juxtaposition could not have been more apparent than what was on display last night.

WhiteHartShame repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wore my black and gold Peterson jersey. Now I recall why someone (like Tim) would not like it. Unlike most of the game jerseys, which are by and large better quality than any replicas, this was not a good year for adidas gamers. They tend to be tight and the hems are now sewn but some kind of stiff iron-on deal. It's not the 2009 shirt, as that would have had the scudetto on it. Tag says 12/07 on it, which would make it one of the 2008 shirts. Stiff and uncomfortable.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sosa subbed in for Pipa. I think you meant Santos....

puttputtfc repped this.
  15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You are correct, sir.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m puzzled by the idea that we don’t have anyone who can recreate Pipa’s 1 goal and 1 assist in 3 1/2 months internally. And let’s be honest Pipa isn’t a defensive stalwart, and more often than not he slows down attacks rather than springing them. But, let’s leave that aside for a while.

(Rightfully) moaning about Pipa’s extension isn’t completely about how there is nobody internally to fill that position. It’s about how the money can be spent more wisely to the many attacking holes in this team and Pipa’s infuriating lack of production.

But, sentimentality knows no value. After all, let’s remember all the trophies Pipa has delivered...

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's not being sentimental it's being realistic. We are a better team with Pipa on the field. Second, I don't trust MLS/PSV to find a replacement. We are in no position to expect upgrades at the moment and I would rather not be as aimless as the Revs or Rapids.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It’s not PSV that finds the upgrade, it’s GGG. And if we don’t think Gregg can find an upgrade on 1 goal and 1 assist in 3 1/2 months at Pipa’s salary than maybe Gregg is a bigger part of the problem than we wish to admit.

The point isn’t that we can get an upgrade now. We are stuck with a cadaver when we aren’t playing Colorado. The point is we shouldn’t have signed the extension. The point is that if the Berhalter scouting network is so vast, we could have double this production at half the cost.

TRUJDUB and zman31 repped this.
  19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Ggg can't sign anyone without PSV/MLS approval. You know that.

No one said the scouting network was so vast but right now I think Sosa is the one being groomed for the position. He's not ready yet. When does the contract run out?

20. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #120 ZipSix, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    It seems indulgent to complain about Higuain's extension when Pedro Santos is in the conversation for worst Designated Player in the history of the league. As far as I'm concerned Higuain isn't even on the witness list at Gregg's inquisition.

I get that there's an infinite amount of data for us to use up with our gripes about this team, but continuing to start Pedro Santos in league matches is an ongoing crime.

foozer, chr1st, puttputtfc and 3 others repped this.
  21. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    I want to like Santos. Every once in a while there is a flash that shows possibility.
    Then he falls down.

chr1st, Jaybir and Draghignazzo repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a drink....

23. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't. You'll die.

chr1st and Draghignazzo repped this.
  24. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When CBJ are Crew are playing at the same time, is there no radio broadcast for the Crew? I left the match a bit early and couldn't find it.

Coupe repped this.
  25. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I was going to listen to the postgame interviews and stuff and the Blue Jackets were on. What gives?