Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to pick nits but you're one team short.

That team was an NBA original in Rochester. Hence the alliteration with Royals.

Their big rivals were the Syracuse nationals which moved to Philadelphia in the 60s and became the 76ers.

CeltTexan repped this.
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That was before my time. ;)

3. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Don't get me wrong - I feel bad for Crew fans and I hope that, if the Crew do move, that they pressure Garber & MLS for an expansion team just as the Cleveland Browns did. If you can find local potential owners/investors, Columbus can try to poach an existing MLS team. And, by all means, do work a deal for your team name and colors to remain behind in Columbus. I can't defend the American tradition of shifting franchises to different cities depending upon stadium financing or the whim of a billionaire owner. But, that's how it is and I don't see why MLS will be different except for the very remote possibility that FIFA steps in.

Of all the major sports teams in the D.C. area, only the NHL Caps and MLS United are original expansion teams. The NFL Washington Redskins were originally the Boston Redskins, the MLB Washington Nationals were originally the Montreal Expos and the NBA Washington Bullets were originally the Baltimore Bullets. And, Washington lost two MLB teams - one to Minneapolis/St. Paul and the other to Dallas/Fort Worth. Washington also lost an ABA team to Tidewater Virginia. For that matter, both of Baltimore's major league teams were poached. The MLB Orioles were originally the St. Louis Browns and the NFL Ravens were originally the Cleveland Browns. That's the American way of major league sports, I suppose.

And, so it goes . . .

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was in high school I attended a summer basketball camp run by Al Cervi.

Now I had no idea who this was - neither did anyone else there - and in truth I don't recall seeing him more than once or twice, just standing around. He looked like he was 100 years old.

He had played for the Royals in the 40s and 50s and although many years had gone by and the team was several moves in the past, the name still resonated with the locals.

The hold stars have on a community is amazing.

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    So is Precourt going to take the Columbus star and put it above Austin's crest?

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Do the Houston Dynamo wear four stars?

jeffreyc64, ElNaranja and CeltTexan repped this.
  7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Wasn't there a pre-arrangement to leave the Quakes name and trophies behind for the expansion Quakes? I haven't read of any such agreement pertaining to this move.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  8. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy that.
    It's certainly not as great as advertised, which is why I moved to San Marcos.
    The good news is it's still a hopping economy in Central Texas. I make nearly twice as much as I used to on the West Coast and I don't work harder.
    If it weren't for that I'd probably move to Trinidad & Tobago.

9. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For you and Coyote89.
    I agree that this is the common model in US sports, but is it good? There are a lot of studies that say cities chasing teams with incentives like stadiums rarely work out for those cities. My guess is this is not going to work out well for Austin either. And as I said before if the MLS really wanted money they should have let the Crew fold, paid Precourt a small fee for the franchise and then sell it to the highest bidder like Chivas.

And there are two differences here. First there are the other 12 cities who went about getting a team the way they were told was the only way they could get one. Certainly not fair to them.
    And most importantly football, baseball and to even hockey do not compete with the world in the World Cup (okay hockey maybe). If the US wants to be part of the World Cup, it can't be just about profit. It needs to be about development and growth.

I am not saying each owner should take a bath but moving teams around only leaves development academies and pissed off soccer fans. Oh and also companies and investors for those local teams.
    Would you encourage your kid to join a development academy if it could announce a move tomorrow? Fans in the Chicago, NE, Colorado, Philly, FC Dallas, Houston, Chicago should be wondering right now about their team moving.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am unaware of any cities bidding for MLS teams. There are twelve groups bidding for expansion teams, each of which has designated a city they hope to be able to land a stadium deal in.

It's an important distinction. While Columbus may end up being an aggrieved party in the end - as of right now there is little to indicate that Austin (city, government, population) has anything to do with this.

San Antonio is not bidding for an MLS Expansion team in the context of calling out Austin for not doing it the right way. San Antonio and Raleigh and Cincinnati and the others happen to be the markets that other bidders are working on.

Language matters, definitions matter. Colloquially, saying cities are bidding doesn't bother me. But your post seems to be veering a little to close to attaching some culpability on Austin here. In the end, it's not the cities.

11. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    me....i mean my friend.

dredgfan repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, the New York Yankees were originally the first Baltimore Orioles. Mind you that's well beyond the time of almost anyone living today. And the Colts were originally the first Dallas Texans.

tallguy repped this.
  13. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet the Rochester Royals and the Syracuse Nats were in different divisions of the NBA. Rochester was in the West, Syracuse in the East. They could not meet in the playoffs unless it was the final round.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1951_standings.html

14. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    That does not mean Precourt won't. It is a case by case situation when teams move whether they take the history with them or not.

15. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Colts history was a lot more complicated. The current NFL Colt incarnation has roots way before the Dallas Texans, who themselves were the former NY Yankees. Too complicated to state here, for those interested it is in here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts

kgilbert78 repped this.
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And while I have no problem with fans of Columbus and other teams protesting and ignoring the club if it is relocated, I hope nobody hates on Austin fans for supporting a team that lands in their laps. I say this as a Carolina Hurricanes fan. Yep, the team is still owned by the carpet-bagger that ripped the team from Hartford. Hartford didn't deserve it. But I had nothing to do with any of that - and they are my local NHL team (for now, anyway). If the team moves, it's all on Precourt.

I'm also not particularly keen on purity tests. I, for one, have not been blocked by the Dark Clouds on Twitter.

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  17. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Or as I heard once, "He just opens his mouth to change feet."

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am kind of surprised that someone buying a team and moving it has not really happened in MLS. It's happened in every American League, especially in the beginning. You can say the Dynamo fit the bill, but that was when AEG owned half the league.

I am sure the stadium deals with public money probably made it more difficult than in the past.

19. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    #844 Len, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    That might have been more meaningful if it had come from pretty much anyone else on the planet.

Boloni86 and harrylee773 repped this.
  20. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Translation: "Don't hate on the players because I'm an enormous dick."

/ThatsABoldMoveCotton.gif

CeltTexan, Len, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pro pointy ball will never succeed in Dallas.

harrylee773 repped this.
  22. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    No, but it's a hit in Arlington.

23. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup

24. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Boloni86 and harrylee773 repped this.
  25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, the Hurricane almost came to Columbus. They had partly worked out building a temporary rink in one of the old North American/Rockwell buildings at John Glenn Intl Airport (where some F86 Sabres and parts of the B1 were built, among other aircraft). Glad they didn't.