Columbus Crew to Austin Texas?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has PSV or anybody affiliated with the relocation actually announced where they would play initially....before they're hypothetical stadium can get built? What are the realistic for MLS options? Myers Stadium? Ideal capacity but limited amenities (this is 2019s MLS), and the fields surrounded by a big running track. Royal Stadium? Excessively big, and would be more cavernous and empty than the Revs in Gillette, or DC in RFK...when you desperately need to show an impressive atmosphere for your inaugural season.

If and when they can secure desirable land and get their 20k stadium built....I can realistically see them selling out a decent amount of games initially. Not because Austin's an immense bastion of soccer fandom but just because they're the hot new pro sports team. After a while though I would think average attendance could easily dip a little and settle in the 16 to 18ks. Which is better than Columbus, currently, but my thing is I just don't see how the relatively small gains to be potentially had in Austin (not assured) are worth the trouble of moving instead of really trying to make it work in Columbus (investing that Austin money in Columbus).

2. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    One thought occurred to me about this that I haven't seen discussed. What would happen to the Columbus homegrown players if they move to Austin? Would they just become Austin homegrown players instead? What a slap in the face that would be to them and Columbus. If they refused to play in Austin, that would be awesome. The fact that Crognale's mom has a prominent part in the savethecrew video makes me wonder if that could be a possibility. It would probably have a lot more weight if Trapp did it, though.

3. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Not really. Plus, I thought the 5000 fans reference was quite good.

Robbo Crewfan and Adrian repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes but that's per their contract with the local unions. It's a stretch to say that the city is subsidizing the Crew or any other event that used off duty public safety personnel.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What about the exceptions for "players of a certain stature" when determining rights to returning national teamers? You don't think that prevents Columbus from getting a Dempsey or Bradley?

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2631 Yoshou, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Is the parking lot only used for Crew games? If not, could a lawyer argue that while the Crew did benefit from the improvement, the other events at the fairgrounds also benefitted? Therefore, could they claim it is more akin to a landlord making improvements to their property than a subsidy to a single tenant?

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No, the part paid for by the state is used for other events too, notably the state fair and American Quarterhorse Congress.

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the case of the recent returnees, it was the players that chose their destinations and/or the teams that pursued them. So, it wasn’t the league preventing Columbus from getting Dempsey or Altidore, but the team itself that was doing so...

superdave repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, could team lawyers claim it was just the state paying for all the tenants and not just the Crew? That would seem to weaken the subsidy claim on the parking lot..

10. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The state's claim is weak however you look at it. The state is not going to find some loophole, law, or some other silly thing to keep the team, other than a ton of free money to the club.

11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Dons halftime comments made me sick.

TOAzer repped this.
  12. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I love Alejandro's love for the Crew

Robbiegoal, PTFC in KCMO, KCbus and 3 others repped this.
  13. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Ale Moreno will never have to buy a drink or pay for a meal ever again in Columbus.

Robbiegoal and Tobias C repped this.
  14. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    What was it?

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s the lack of revenue that prevents them. You and I agree, I think, that Precourt is a poor owner. The inevitable conclusion from that is....

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No question the players chose their destinations. But MLS rules are such that teams have rights to players until it turns out it's more profitable for the league to have the player in one market rather than another and suddenly the rules about rights have a new exception.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The fact that other organizations use the parking lot at various times doesn't change the fact that the Crew use the lot during their games and get parking revenue from state owned land that isn't part of their lease.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  18. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The state also receives revenue from it right? So the Crew spend millions on operations annually to raise revenue for the state. The state doesnt bring people out to the parking lots and then give the Crew a cut, the crew bring the people to the lots and share revenue accordingly.

Stop reaching people. Eminent domain, modell law, is not saving the team. Economics will save the team, and right now, it doesn't appear that PSV see's Columbus as the more viable market. Changing his outlook is the way to save the team.

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Economics cannot save the team, because Frat Tony P. is a gerbil at economics. If he thinks that the economic situation in Austin is superior to Columbus, then there is no course of study that can save him from himself. The Modell law will have the fascinating consequence of forcing Garber Buckeroo through the 8th Dimension. What it can reveal as to the machinations and lies sustained by MLS will be fascinating to see. It will also be fascinating to see just how coherent and structured are the leagues moves as to its vision of the future...because, FoxBoro 143, there is no economic argument this side of the imp of perversity for seeking to relocate the team to where Frat Tony P. & Donny G are aiming for.
    As for "changing Frat Tony P's outlook", now that is comedy. It would take thought, reflection, reason, on his part. Not a chance.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the 5,000 fans part was nice, but you do know that an NFL team currently shares its home venue with a rodeo and an MLB team formerly did, right? And they keep the animals in a different place until the actual event.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Adrian

Adrian Member

Columbus Crew
    England
    May 9, 1999
    Plain City, OH, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stop spoiling the fun with your facts! ;)

22. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2647 Fiosfan, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Don't rep him anymore . You know how to do that .

jayd8888 repped this.
  23. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    They can have their rodeo, but hands off the quarter horses.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16-18k is about where Columbus has been the last couple of years. Not this season--but then again the FO didn't bother to promote them either. Self fulfilling prophecy.... Attendance from MLS' own site:

2013 17 7-7-3 273,364 16,080
    2014 17 9-4-4 286,976 16,881
    2015 17 9-4-4 280,716 16,513
    2016 17 6-3-8 291,128 17,125
    2017 17 12-3-2 262,469 15,439

Tobias C repped this.
  25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which, again, isn’t the league’s doing, but the team’s.. While I think it is enitrely fair to say the league favored certain markets because of the market in the past, the favoritism is mostly being driven by the teams now. LA and NY are still as much the markets as the teams, but Seattle, Toronto, Portland, etc are almost entirely team driven. The Crew just haven’t been ambitious enough to overcome the “Not NY/LA” preference.

JasonMa, FoxBoro 143 and C-Rob repped this.