Columbus Crew SC owner Anthony Precourt eyes MLS Cup final in 2015

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Dec 17, 2014.

1. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    All of this Mix hate on these boards is crazy. To think that a potential future national team star wouldn't help this team on and off the field is laughable. We haven't had an American on this team with that kind of exposure since Mcbride. He would not only make a huge impact on the field but has a much higher ceiling at only 24.

2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league doesn't pay the payroll. What are you talking about? Transfer fee? Sometimes, yes. Payroll? No.

And I'm not saying we can't sign a 3 million a year DP, just that they actually have to fit in with what we're trying to do and are actually still good, not just an over the hill big name. If GB wants to sign a big name guy or two, fine. If he doesn't and would prefer to go with people like Gall, Kamara, Giancarlo Gonzalez, that's ok to. GB and Precourt have the benefit of the doubt from me. Though I know some people here will never be satisfied.

I was just using him as an example. Forget Mix (though to answer the question, I'd say he's a semi-big name to existing soccer fans, a no name to casuals and everyone else). My point was, some people just want a big name player so they can say we have a big name player (that's what he seems like at least). If we were to sign someone, not sure who but let's say for the sake of argument Steven Gerard. If CCSC (trying to get used to it haha) signed Steven Gerard, after 6 months to 1 year, how many CCSC Gerard #8 jerseys do you think you'd see in California, Texas, or Florida? How many people there would become CCSC fans? Signing a big name player, you have to recoup that money through merchandise and marketing. Would he sell out Crew Stadium every week? Would that team sell a ridiculous amount of jerseys? I doubt it. And at this point in his career, you could find someone with a similar skill level to Gerard in South America for a fraction of the price, and with potential sell on value after a few years as well (like a Matias Laba, Freddy Montero, Uri Rosell, etc).

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mix's effectiveness at higher levels is debatable. And how much would be REALLY help off the field. Casuals don't know him. And on top of that, where do you play him. And super double on top of that, we offered him TRIPLE his wages and he said no.

I'm so tired of Mix. Wish he would just sign for someone already so I don't have to talk or read about him anymore.

4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wtf are you talking about? Where the hell did I imply I thought we needed to go after the Thierry Henrys of the world in order to compete?

My point, which perhaps I wasn't clear enough in making, is that Mix Diskerud is exactly the tier of player we need to be capable of signing because he's a very good player, but not insanely pricey, like Henry, Beckham, Bradley et al. Hence my initial statement that Mix would be a modest signing for a club like LA; he's simply not expensive enough or in possession of a pedigree that would place him in the 'star' tier of MLS players. Again, the way our roster looks now, and accepting that we don't have the resources of some other clubs, I'm not convinced bringing in Mix as a DP would the right move for the Crew. I'd love to have him, but assume acquiring him would likely mean not addressing our striker problem, which is a far more serious hole on the roster than the one that Mix might fill.

5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still haven't seen anyone make a great case of where he plays. In Norway he plays further up the field. Lately JK is trying to play him as more of a box to box midfielder (not sure that has been very effective). Does he take Higuain off the field? Do we play him out of position? I would love to have him but I am not sure where I would play him.

6. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Florida Marlins agree with financial stability.

7. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this thread about?

8. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  9. TRU JDUB

TRU JDUB Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We need a forward more than we need mix. I think if we get mix we should sell Higuain who is getting older and Physically can't hustle as much as Mix who is younger. Higuain is obviously superior in ball skills but I'm never in favor of going out and getting older big name players that's not what we need at Columbus. We need to help devolp the next big stars and sell them to Europe and reinvest the $ into scouting and keep our team stocked up on young talent. I wouldn't even mind getting some guys on loan who are young and really good but can't get much time in their club in Europe.But we have to be consistently good or nobody will want to send a young player to us.

10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Financial stabilty, yeah or nay?

11. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was about Aces Christmas Wishes.

12. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm surprised you're not aware of this but MLS pays most of the player's salaries. The exception is the amount by which DPs exceed the max salary. So PSV pays less than 300K of Higuain's salary with the league picking up the rest. When the Crew didn't spend to the cap last season we were in effect refusing free money. The league has several dedicated revenue sources which cover the 3.1 mil per team salary budget. Those are national media and endorsement deals and one third of team ticket revenues. So the bigger name teams that get on TV a lot or sell a lot of tickets are paying for the players of less prominent teams.

fidlerre and Draghignazzo repped this.
  14. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wake me when CybrSlydr wins MLS Cup 2015 with CCSC in Football manager or FIFA15 , then we can start the real discussion.

15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I won in 2014 and 2016. New stadium is called "Columbus Crew Park" - seats 19,000.

16. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's just as likely to transfer to another team.

ZipSix, Draghignazzo and Lucky Day repped this.
  17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't these two sentences contradict each other? It's the league that picks up the salary cap amount of Higuain's salary, while PSV must pay the rest. So, for a club like Toronto, with a small number of astonishingly high-paid DPs, their ownership is paying millions of dollars out its own pocket for those few players.

18. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just signed a contract to keep me in Cbus until 2018. lol

19. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tangents are wonderful.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2016, the Crew had a Striker named Stefan Jerome who scored 45 goals in 35 MLS games.

51 Total in 42 Total appearances.

21. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    How do you feel about arctangents?

ZipSix and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so we don't cosi(g)n

23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's not contradictory, just a little odd using Pipa as an example as compared to other DPs. Since Pipa is $700k, the league picks up max salary $400k, leaving PSV with $300k. Whereas Dempsey get's $6.5m, so MLS pays $400k max, and Seattle's coffers are hit for the remaining $6.1m in salary. It was just presented in an odd manner for the discussion and with a DP whose off-the-books remainder is less than the on-salary amount.

NOTE: All numbers rounded for the mathematically disinclined, i.e. me!

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow... Didnt know that. I know all players are owned by the league, but i thought the team's paid their players wages. Goddamn mls....

25. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Well the teams do still technically pay them. It's single entity, so the teams are the league. It's just that because not all teams contribute evenly to the revenue stream, some teams have more of the burden. That revenue still comes in large part from the money that the teams make.