Columbus Crew SC @ Foxborough Fightin' (in)Friedels | Match 13 | May 19, 2018 7:30 PM EDT

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, May 16, 2018.

?

What will be the result of the Crew's 05/19/18 match at New England?

Poll closed May 19, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

18.8%
  2. Win by one goal

34.4%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

21.9%
  4. Lose by one goal

15.6%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

6.3%
  6. Euro Dreaming - Trapp scores and assists (worth 2 points!!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. "The person attempting to travel two roads at once will get nowhere." - The Snek

3.1%
  1. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Mensah’s problem has never been talent or ability. It has been his decision making. While he typically makes a few great defensive plays he also tends to make 1 or 2 potentially game breaking mistakes a game.

Last night he had one, as did Lalas.

They are human and there is no such thing as perfect defense.

Still, I’m more inclined to be forgiving when Abubakar makes a mistake when compared to Mensah. It’s like a 13 Million Dollar train station. You have to decide if the cost outweighs the benefit.

Overall in his Columbus Career Mensah has gotten more slack because his pay rate is higher than many and that amplifies his mistakes. I do believe that we could do better for that money - which I will temper by saying he does appear to be consistently improving as time goes on. How much of that is familiarity with the system, communication, and comfort I don’t know. If that is where the problem was before then perhaps he will continue to improve.

I just don’t see those areas improving his mental approach to the game though. Decisions, and composure are hard areas to make tangible improvement in. Confidence goes a long way here at least. It is a lot easier to play with confidence when Zack Steffen is there to clean up your errors (right Abubakar?)

I’m still willing to give him time, but I doubt I will ever be all in on Mensah.

2. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There were 20 people in the stands..probably moms of players..Metrics are terrible send that team to Cuba

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. Finally instead of having the GK play short into the teeth of the press we just play it over the top. About friggin' time. Not exactly Einstein level tactics there.

In 3Gs defense, Zardes (& Kei) are a lot better suited for it than Ola.

Also agree we have to ease up on the Mensah hate. Yes, he was mistake prone last year. But we still were 1 goal away from hosting MLS Cup & the offense did not score in the last tie.

We have the best D in the league & Mensah has been at the center of it.

Steffen + Afful, Mensah, Abubakar, & Valenzuela is as solid a back five as there is. Add in Trapp's distribution & Artur's energy in front and that back seven is fantastic.

Williams, Crognale, Jimenez, Clark, & Abu for depth. Plus Sauro soon.

Need to get more from the wings. Hopefully Grella & Santos can do it going forward.

Draghignazzo, Robbiegoal and zman31 repped this.
  4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    His paycheck dictates he should be all star quality. I will admit he has improved from last year but that's a lot of money spent to applaud above average performances. He still makes blunders and has poor positioning but we've been lucky to not get punished more often. Plus, we have a bad ************************.

5. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    When he signed, I agree, that was the case, but I'm not sure it is anymore. Especially since his # is being paid down with AM. First, there are journeymen like Dielna and someone named Skjelvik off the top of my head that earn as much or more. And then, overall, there are nearly 150 guys making $500k or more in the league now. I realize Mensah is well over that particular threshold, but still, they can't all be all-star quality.

6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an interesting tactical battle.

Friedel came to the conclusion that while you can occasionally create a spectacular turnover that earns you a cheap goal by pressuring the goalkeeper that loves to play out of the back, those moments tend to be few and far between. Most of the time, even when you do pressure the goalkeeper with the ball at his feet, it just leaves an open outlet to someone who can start the attack, or forces the guy to blast it out of play for a throw-in. New England, instead, had their forwards mark up our defenders and force Steffen to play it longer than he usually likes to do.

So Steffen, to his credit, realized that his normal option wasn't there, and looked downfield, rather than trying to sledgehammer the square peg into the round hole. And Zardes and company did a pretty decent job of winning those balls and keeping possession.

7. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Will Pedro automatically get the start because of his salary? (when he returns healthy). I would like to see Hansen continue to get minutes. He does enough to make me think he is catching on or can. Martinez not so much. Artur may be at a stand still. He had a rough game.

8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a game where we were forced to bypass the midfield. I wouldn't read much into it.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when you are trying to play defense with just a few minutes to go. Maybe someone other than Grella could come off, but D for an attacker makes sense here. Also, with Grella still recently back from injury and the team playing on plastic....

10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking pipa off instead would've made more sense to me, but we won so its all good.

hardhead repped this.
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop taking pipa off when he's kicking crosses to the far post

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everyone has the unfortunate fate to be a Shitcago fan. Count your blessings.

SLSHOT01 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GGGs answer (Dispatch) as to why he subbed out Grella:

It’s a move rare in soccer but one Berhalter made for two reasons: An extra center back doesn’t hurt with a lead and Grella hasn’t played in a 3-5-2 this season.

“He was an offensive impulse, created a number of chances and then the decision to take him out was based on switching to another formation that he he hasn’t trained extensively.”

Kyle Crew repped this.
  14. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Afful had his best match of the season. The Revs, as others have stated, limited our short plays out of the back. That made Afful and Milton open 40 or 50 yards upfield. The took advantage. Those 2 as well as Hansen and Martinez had so much space to work. I think it almost became a disadvantage. Way too many times they drove 30 or 40 yards with the ball and then took 1 too many dribbles and lost it to the NE defense. We didn't make the best use of those long dribbles.

But, a win is a win. That flying header from Lalas was a worthy winner for sure. Defense did enough and Steffen was there when they weren't. The shutout streak is something to be proud of.

A long week before a Sunday match-up with the best team in the west, SKC and their temper tantrum throwing ass-hat of a coach, Peter Vermes.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I was not a fan of Argudo Saturday. I'm beginning to wonder if we should put Jiminez at LB and let Valenzuela loose at LW.

16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is a fair assessment, and if I'm reading between the lines you are countering earlier optimism that it was not in fact 3G finally adjusting tactics, but rather Super Steffen sagely reading the on-field situation and altering his play due to necessity. While your perspective might be more accurate it is certainly sadder to me as it means that 3G has not necessarily turned any corners and I will not likely see @hangthadj have to eat his hat. Though it makes Steffen ou tot be even more of the stud we know he is. Your implied narrative is more believable than mine. :cry:

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not ruling out the idea that Gregg schooled his keeper on this beforehand. It certainly could have been part of the plan all along.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win Sunday, we could be top of the table, albeit with more games played.

Atlanta does not play until Wed. Citeh travel to Houston Friday.

19. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was what, his second game? And a game where he was fouled a ridiculous amount in the first 30ish minutes? I wouldn't read too much into it yet. Not saying he needs Saravia/Martinez/Hansen love, but I think another game or two would be fair before passing some judgement.

I don't think it's a bad idea to put Valenzuela at LW, but I'm not sure I trust Jiminez there long term. He's a great stopgap, not a long term solution anywhere. I do think the idea is worth a try if only to generate something while PDS is out.

20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fully against moving valenzuela to lw. 1) attacking from midfield is different than attacking from defense. 2) why mess around with the league's best defense? 4 straight clean sheets right?

zman31 and POdinCowtown repped this.
  21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This!

22. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point.

All this is moot if Adam Jahn isn’t plan B at FW. We need better offensive depth.