Colorado's Mehdi Ballouchy suspended two matches...

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Flyer Fan, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Video

Only Two Games?? from Steven Goff's blog

Jeez, I guess this cheap shot is half as bad as Andy Herron's elbow. And now for the very rare: :rolleyes:

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't conceive of how that doesn't merit, like, a month or something. What a terrible foul. Did he think nobody would notice if he launched himself into the air and hit Victorine with a cross body block? Good Lord.

3. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    The best part is, the ref looks to be within 10 feet, and watching. Seriously, at least 5 games would have been a start. Nice work MLS.

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How ridiculous. He changes direction to go out of his way to take a flying cheap shot to his opponent's head, well after the ball is gone.

If Herron deserved four (and he did), that should be AT LEAST a quad.

5. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Did I read that right - a yellow card for that shot? I hope I did...

Are MLS refs afraid to go direct for Red on a clear intent to injure, like that shot?

6. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

If Mehdi Ballouchy played for Columbus he'd be done for the season. MLS is very inconsistent, there is no way that is worth only two games.

7. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Her name was Sasha.....she was a showgirl.......

8. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can only say that the refs angle was bad, and he might have thought it was just a collision. The other view of it clearly shows what Mehdi was trying to do. Two games is nothing, should be more like six.

9. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It sure looked like the intent was there, but I really don't think Ballouchy connected on it.

Regardless, it's dirty play.

10. fotobass

fotobass Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Here's a question...has Ballouchy been suspended before? If not, mebbe 'repeat offender' is a factor.

11. Xisk

Xisk Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Louisville
    I agree it was a dirty, intentional foul, but he didn't throw the elbow, he threw his whole body into Sasha. In a strange sort of way, I'd think this foul has less a chance to injure than what Herron did (albeit that Herron had good reason to do what he did and should not have been suspended for as long as he was)

Should have been a straight red.

12. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that not a red card? Even if the center ref had a poor angle he had a duty to confer with his assistant. The 2 game suspension too short by half.

13. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Is anyone here really surprised? I think it'll be a cold day in you know where when the MLS starts growing some balls and become consistent.

14. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Thirteen posts and nobody has made fun of his name.

Ball-ouch-y
    Ball-itchy
    Ball-pouchy
    Ball-touchy

15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MehDIE!

16. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 points.

Medhi changes his direction and had the intent - should be straight red and heavy fine/suspension.
    Sasha made a meal of it. Contact was more glancing rather than blunt force trauma.

Unquestionable intent to crack someone's melon open, questionable amount of actual contact. I don't know what MB got in the form of card - but no question in my mind that red should have been shown and heavier suspension and fine should have been leveled.

17. cavscrew1

cavscrew1 Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Y-City
    He was being a thug when we played RSL before the all-star game. I think he got a yellow in that match.

18. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    BallBoy threw an intentional elbow at full speed after gaining momentum by jumping at the player. If Herron got four this is worth at least two more games.

This is ignoring the fact that Herron should have had two of those games lopped off because it was HeapsOfCrap he took out, he did the league a favor. Sasha just has the misfortune of having been named for a girl.

And that should have been a straight red, no question.

19. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I don't think he did. Ballouchy missed the jaw and elbowed him right in the Adam's apple. That hurts like hell.

20. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed... this was so much more obvious than Herron's offense, and looked much more vicious (leaving his feet, etc).

OTOH, reading down on that post (assuming the comments are true), maybe it is the fact that Herron holds the dubious distinction of being co-record holder for games suspended (got suspended for 6 while w/ the F*re) that he got the 4 this time.

OTO-OH, Mr. Ball-bouncy has generally been a thug; this isn't like innocent, long-suffering Big Bird finally smacked Oscar a good one (sorry, I've got preschool age kids). I say five games for this attack--plus a mandatory make-over (he's also an UGLY thug) by the Beckhams' "image team"... :D

-RC

21. Xisk

Xisk Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Louisville
    Intent to hurt yes
    but I still don't see him throw an elbow in that. The contact is made with the elbow, but he doesn't throw it. I can't help but think that contributed to the lesser suspension.

It all looks very natural movement with the jump... I think first glance looks worse than it really was.

22. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't disagree more. He doesn't throw it per se (whip it around like Herron did...but Heaps was behind him)...he doesn't need to as he is leaping right at him. What he does do is raise his elbow. Watch the clip again. There is nothing natural about the way his elbow comes up.

23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely think you're right.

It's like high-sticking in hockey -- you're responsible for your stick.

If you intentionally change your direction and leap into a guy, you're responsible for whatever contact occurs. If the elbow catches him, it's YOUR problem, because YOU did it.

24. LegalBeagle

LegalBeagle Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Springboro, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Words to live by.

25. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, he's looking in the opposite direction of the ball (even red-card-able slidetackles make an attempt on the ball).

SV plays the ball, MB takes another step (from about 10 ft away) and blasts off into the guy...

regardless of whether he threw the elbow or not that was effing awful