Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    But Pekerman did call him up a couple times and just was like "meh". Not good enough. Which is why I said maybe his effort in practice or some other habits could be involved too.

To me Aguilar, Lucumi and Bernardo are all pretty much the same level so it was like pick two of three names out of a hat.

Queiroz has literally said in a press conference that Jeison is important to the team. I don't know how he came to that conclusion, maybe the media and Reyes told him he is a good locker room guy or something but that is why he is on the list.

Push comes to shove I don't think any of those players should be on the Final 23 so it is a moot argument.

2. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In general I don't think that there will be any surprise and in fact, I'm not even sure that Queiroz is capable to choose all these players, he barely knows them. It was probably Reyes's selection.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It was probably a collaborative effort between everyone on the coaching staff and Federation lackeys with Queiroz having some sort of veto power based on his many scouting visits.

4. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This will probably a very unpopular opinion but since I follow Cali so closely, I think Vargas should start over Ospina. He’s in great form, even better than his Santa Fe days, while the other guy barely plays for Napoli and almost cost us a ticket to the WC. I’ve honestly lost so much confidence in David.

Oh and Camilo is so much better at penalties unlike Ospina who just lazily throws himself on the ground. Also his melodramatic time wasting is super annoying.

Furnaccio repped this.
  5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ospina played 24 matches with napoli nothing bad.. that is played a lot of.

His injured the other day that almost costed his life was a reason that he didnt played more....

But his level wasnt bad and he played.

Vargas biggest danger is pasto and gonzales lasso...with all due respect

pibe10, dapip and RafaLarios repped this.
  6. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Vargas would be successful in Europe. Like I said it would be an unpopular opinion. Ospina no me brinda mucha confianza en este momento y un arquero debe de jugar al menos el doble que 24 partidos por temporada. Ya van casi 5 años en esa vuelta Ospina.

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He was really bad in argentina but really rellay bad...so i doubt he would be succesfull there.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is a good "hot take".
    And with Ospina having family issues (Father very sick?) we don't know if he is going to have his head 100% in the game.

But more than likely he will probably play every minute for us if he is healthy and mentally ready.

9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    at this stage - it would nice to see another GK get an opportunity.

Ospina:
    1. Nearly Half of 2010 WCQ campaign (8 of 18 games)
    2. 100% of 2014 WCQ campaign (missed 2011 CA)
    3. 2015 and 2016 CA (minus a game)
    4. 100% of 2018 WCQ campaign
    5. 2014 and 2018 WC - nearly all available minutes

I haven't watched much of other GK's - but if Vargas is in good form - maybe it's time we give him a chance.

Ospina's "time wasting" drives me nuts too, but i guess it can be viewed as a momentum killer if opposing teams are controlling the game against us - good tactic depending on what side of the coin you are on =)

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Read thread

Azucarero and HomietheClown repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Those Golazos he did for Pachuca must have opened his eyes and captured his attention.

Azucarero and crzdcolombian repped this.
  12. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't mind if we're up by one and he decides to collapse at the 85th min. but he does it at any moment regardless of the situation, even if we have the momentum.

Furnaccio repped this.
  13. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Jeison Murillo hasn't done amazing recently and we can question whether he deserves to play but not playing over Pique, Umtitti and Lenglet would be the same fate of Sanchez, Mina and 99% of the rest of the CB's in the world. Those 3 are world class and they also have 19 y/o Todibo who is the guy they want to give minutes to develop, not a loaned player who will leave in the summer.

Murillo was an emergency loan because of the injuries they had to Umtiti and Vermaelen but they got healthy and Jeison wasn't needed, he could have played amazing it didn't really matter so we shouldn't hold it against him. Murillo needs to go somewhere and play every game then maybe he can get his career back on track, its up to him.

Azucarero repped this.
  14. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    And with James so often getting injured we're going to need Cardona, no James/Quintero/Cardona takes away our creative force which we've shown we don't do very well without.

Azucarero and Furnaccio repped this.
  15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rumor is Lazio wants Jeison. Seems like a big club for him. Should go to a smaller club but better then staying where he isn’t wanted.

Prefer our guys are starter at Parma and Torino and start every day then get club cup games for bigger teams

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i hear ya - those mid season moves to a big team who are looking for depth as they play for Europe, Domestic League and League Cups hardly work out well, unless you are content being a backup...

Chelsea - Cuadrado
    Barca - Mina and Jeison

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In valencia he was unused too. Murillo have been useless in these last two years.

I wonder if he conoletes more than 600 minutes since 2018

dapip repped this.
  18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He rotated a lot in the first half of the season at Valencia then they dumped him. Not sure if it’s a confidence thing but I just don’t think he is good enough for the teams he goes to and doesn’t want to take a huge pay cut to go to a team he can start

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I just heard that one of the main reasons Lucumi is on the list is because he is naturally left footed. He is one of the only left footed CBs we have in the player pool at the moment.
    I think Tesillo is also left footed but he is not playing CB for Leon, more of a LB.

20. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But as long as he doesn't gain playing time it's really doesn't matter.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just passing along the reasoning why Queiroz has him over a player like Bernardo.
    But as I said they are pretty much the same level in my mind.

22. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Just double checked. Lucumi has been Genk's starter for all but 1 match for the past 3 months.

And he was out injured all of January. Moreover, he started several matches from the get-go of the season before he missed another month with injury.

Lucumi plays. I can't really attest to his form--I've only seen him once since he left Cali--but he is playing.

As for Bernardo...I've posted this several different times on different threads whenever he gets some buzz...he's nothing special. Simple as that. He's a starter on a team that bunkers with 5 defenders, and they don't even have a great defense. He's great in the air, clumsy with his feet, and doesn't close down space all too well.

That's not saying he can't contribute, but his absence is not controversial nor surprising, nor should it be.

I like that Quieroz is bringing in young blood with Lucumi and bringing back a tried and true veteran in Zapata. Jeison is the only one I question, but I like the support Quieroz is extending to him. Jeison was a beast in 2015. Whatever the NT can do to help him get back there, so long as no one suffers in the process, I support it.

23. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I'm late to this, but I think that everybody who needs to be on the roster is. I'm happy that Lucumi, Borre, Loiaza, and Cantillo are in the mix. I'm ecstatic that two veterans who ALWAYS perform are back in Cardona and Zapata.

That said, this list is basically a who's who playing abroad. Still not a lot of evidence of scouting FPC besides the GKs. We'll see..

What bothers me most is Benedetti and Quinones' injuries. Seeing this list, those two would've been on it for sure. They're our youngest guys who are more than ready for a legit shot.

24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Jeison played 1400 minutes with Valencia last season and they had a really good year, this year he fell out with the coach and then didn't have a shot at playing at Barcelona. He's still just 26 and has shown his ceiling is really high, a guy like Bernardo is playing every week but I don't really think he can reach much higher a level. I think its better to get acquainted and bring in players who have the possibility to get to a high level even if they are in a difficult situation like Jeison, Quintero was another example Pekerman was willing to give him more of a chance because of what his potential is and we saw that potential explode with a little trust. Cardona as well gets chances while being an idiot multiple times, but the talent is there.

Morelos I'm happy they are sending a message, you gotta try and get these messages across early, playing for the national team is a big goal for any Colombian player, using that leverage when you don't necessarily "need" them can end up helping them a lot to change.

25. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    First good part of the season.