College Soccer Adapting

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by HailtotheKing, Jul 21, 2014.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they're not going to play significantly more games, but they're going to increase the overall scope of the season to allow for more training, recovery and less compression of the experience.

I don't know how this is radical reform that's going to win us a World Cup or anything, but it sounds like it's not a bad plan if you're a college soccer player. And the idea of more development and less game preparation in a compressed time period sounds reasonable (though for years all I have heard is that players need more games, not more practices.)

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think the devil is in the details here.

Going to a full season gets around the "which season sport are you" and the restrictions that go into that during the "off-season." It also keeps everything flowing and continuous. Now there's added possibility of training with MLS clubs/national squads etc (mentioned in the article) on top of that ...

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not understanding you, I'm afraid.

Why is "which season sport are you?" a problem, and why is someone even asking that question? If it's played over two seasons, the answer would be "fall and spring," right? Why is that a problem? Why is the fact it's a fall sport (with a spring....something....akin to spring football) up for debate?

Why would playing from, say, September to May, "get around the restrictions" of the "off season?" I don't understand.

Right now, NCAA athletes can't have "outside competition" (in the PDL or NPSL, mostly) until May 1. If their seasons were still going on then, they wouldn't be "getting around" anything, they'd still be playing for their schools. Some until June. I'm not sure what they'd be "getting around." If anything, they'd then have no reason to play in the summer at all, in the PDL or NPSL (which would have to take a look at what they do and why they exist).

And I'd be curious to see exactly how many NCAA players would train with MLS clubs or national teams during Christmas break. Creating a window for such an opportunity does not necessarily mean those opportunities are going to be extended to a player or players.

5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College athletes are limited on the number of hours they can formally commit to organized and instructed time within their sport. The fall and spring calendars are not the same and the previous schedule for college soccer crammed much of that time into actual game time. That's not too efficient. Football programs run into it all the time and have to make the choice about formal Spring ball or not because it impacts man hours and "hands on" hours.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NCAA could definitely schedule around the PDL/NPSL and have a winter break. Even taking a break starting in late November, resuming and finishing the regular season in March, and playing conference tournaments and the NCAA tournament in April would be a huge improvement from a fixture congestion standpoint. (And it would also avoid running through final exams at most schools.) Teams could even afford to play a few more games that way without congesting the schedule as badly as is going on now.

Of course, the devil is always in the details.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Actually NCAA soccer would fit a lot better being part of the spring spring schedule and kicking off the spring Championships in better weather. Post NCAA basketball final4 starting a second half of the season would fit very nicely with the ESPN coverage. Since there will be less games with half the season in the fall ESPN would be able to start their NCAA spring Championship series with soccer, continue on with the Lacrosse championship, finishing with the Softball and baseball World series.
    It would affect when the drafted rookies can join their pro clubs but the same happens with baseball.
    Having a minor league affiliate with USLPro would allow rookie players a place to start coming in mid season. Others who are not drafted or low draft picks could still play for the MLS clubs U23 or affiliated PDL clubs, independent PDL clubs, or with a D2 NASL club.
    baseball has used this similar model for years with great success. With MLS and other pro soccer in US/Canada running even with baseball having college soccer running similar to baseball makes a lot of sense.

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am all for this. Although I would like to bypass college soccer entirely, I know although that might eventually happen, it will take a long time given that it is so entrenched.

One of my biggest gripes was the train/play 3-4 months a year, and this gets around that part of it.. I also like the part of the training of coaches. I don't see much downside of this.

I do see NCAA frowning on this, simply b/c it bucks the trend of season sports, and simply b/c are idiots, and will probably squash it b/c they can, and offer dumb excuses rather than look at the big picture. I also see athletic directors fighting b/c expenses.

But I do feel this idea is a step in the right direction.

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Actually the NCAA will have to begin adapting to survive among other sports as well. Both the power conferences for football as well as Mens basketball are forcing changes that will allow for the student athletes from these sports receive benefits within their scholarships that are currently not within the aniquated rules. With these two sports making loads of money. The atheletes benefits to include common sense things like having players with spending money, paid for plane trips home, and plain fair for parents to visit among some of the changes. The power football conference are even suggesting breaking off from the NCAA for football and basketball will follow.
    For soccer now that there are D3 and D2 soccer leagues being quickly put into place their will be much more options for players to turn pro at a younger age having no college or leaving college at a younger age.
    The minor D2 NASL indepentent and the affiliated D3 USLPRO will allow these Academy players from MLS go stright to the pro level with their USLPro affiliate with some singing minor league USLPRO contracts or MLS contract and be able to be sent down if needed.
    NASL will allow for University players to leave early and sign with a D2 NASL club.
    This would be similar to how Pro baseball works.
    For Canada Junior hockey is the preffered choice.
    The College option will still be their but having a fall season is just too short. Adding a spring second half to start after NCAA basketball regular season with Camp the month before in FEB second half beginning in March and then a strong focus in April beginning and being the first NCAA chamionship