College recommendation . WHERE to Transfer Up north ?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by FMF_LFP, Jan 23, 2006.

1. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    oes any one have any inisght or recommendation for schools in the North East ?

Major - Business Management

also looking into a good Political science Program (Mino)

The colleges im currentyl looking at are the following since I already looked at college Loans and some Grants .

Rutgers
    Temple University
    Villanova
    St. Johns

right now my top choice is Villanova any one have any recommendations...

Ill hand out reps
    Thanks in advance Loyal BS members and Lads

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Go to BC. You won't regret it

3. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    Any insight Mates ?

4. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I visited UMass a couple months ago, and they said that they had teh second most transfer requests in the country outside of U. Hawaii. You can find business everywhere so the most important thing is to find the school which is the most fun. I know UMass has a great school of Management, which is considerably harder to get into than the rest of the university.

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    If you have an affinity for a crappy college town and girls with STD's, then Rutgers is for you.

6. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You know, there's a reason that the vast majority of graduating high school seniors in New Jersey leave the state for college.

7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    BC is, from what I've been told, a good time. My friends who attended school there loved it.
    Temple--do you really want to live in north philly? no.
    Rutgers--see above.
    Villanova--you mean vanilla-no-fun? there are some beautiful girls, no doubt. but they are mostly part of that jersey exodus. besides, going to school on the Main Line isn't going to allow for a rip roaring good time.
    St Johns--little idea about the school. from what I've been told, it isn't a great college experience.

as a general rule, the Northeast isn't littered with schools that are good big schools (outside of BC, BU). smaller, more liberal arts type schools dominate the academic scene here. not to knock the UConn/UMass of the world, but they don't compare favorably to the state schools of the midwest, NC, VA.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from what I understand UCONN's business program is one of the best on the east coast. The pharmacy and physical therapy programs are also top notch... Good soccer program, basketball and an up and comming football program. URI is another state college that has some pretty good programs, one of the best marine biology programs anywhere.. Also a few years back it was in Playboys top 10 party schools. Umass engineering program is also suppose to be very good

9. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Let's face facts here: You're going into Buisness Management. Who gives a rat what school you go to? Unless you're getting into the best in the country, then it doesn't matter where you went. There are business jobs always available no matter where you went. Find a few cities you'd like to live in. Apply to the cheapest schools in those cities. Go to the one that either gives you the most money or cost the least.

You're not looking at a law or medical or Architecture degree or something like that, fer cryin' out loud. Why spend more than you have to for such a broad degree?

10. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I agree with wingtips. Maybe you should look to the Midwest. There are lots of major universities with the traits you're looking for. Off the top of my head, some of the top-tier ones are: U of Chicago, Michigan, Northwestern, Washington University, and Wisconsin. Almost as good and a bit cheaper (and easier to get into) are Illinois, Ohio State, Iowa, and most of the rest of the Big 10 schools.

11. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree unless you're going to a college for their World-Class program in _____, most schools are all the same. At least in the Tier you're looking at. Not a bad choice of 4 btw. But for business, you're going to learn the same thing in NYC that you'd learn in Omaha. The difference is in your Jr. & Sr. years your city may have many internships/opportuinties in your field (AKA like a NYC) or very few (like an Omaha). For Poli Sci - DC? Make sure to look at Newsweek Best Colleges special for rankings, if you haven't already. They should have one in your High School, if not that's a MUST visit to your local public library.

Lack of internships, was a place where my university or better said my adopted city, was slightly lacking in. For the buisness world, you might want to think about opportunities, outside the classroom. Because of this, St. John's leads your other 3 options.

BUT even then, what makes your college experience isn't so much the classes the degrees, its the people, the professors, the red tape that it takes to change majors, register for classes. If you're a gym-addict, you might want to know if the gyms are state-of-the-art, or open 5 hrs 3 days a week. If you're a shut-in, you might benefit more from a school where partyin' isn't a school religion. Now if you like to party, you might want to see who's got the best party scene. These things matter, but only cause you're doing business and that stuff is the same everywhere.

To help you, read this
    [​IMG]
    Its the College Prowler (off the record) series. This one on Nova' is from 2005, so you know its recent. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...002-0162961-7886426?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I read the one they did on my school, and it was very on the money. They cost $10 each, so buy each one for the 4 schools you're looking at. Yeah, $40 may be more than your application cost, but VERY WORTH IT, trust me. I've been there, done that, & got the T-Shirt

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    But you won't have the same networking opportunities in Omaha as you'd have here in NY. The friendships you'll forge as an undergraduate might well provide you with business prospects down the line.

Rutgers is a great school; New Brunswick a great college town. St. Johns offers a tremendous college and urban experience.

You list a private secular, two Catholic, and one state school. You need to determine what kind of school will provide you with the appropriate institutional fit, as the types of students and faculty you'll encounter will differ radically from one type of university to another.

13. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Um... U of C doesn't have a business major.

14. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    My bad. I just was thinking of the top universities in the Midwest. Thanks for pointing that out.

15. BadBad_LeRoyBrown

Jan 30, 2006
    Earth
    University of Phoenix Online. :p

16. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pennsylvania State University - of course I am biased on this one.

If you are majoring in business you can go just about anywhere.

I would only consider those schools (Rutgers Temple University Villanova
    St. Johns) if you definitely want a very Urban setting.

I'd only consider Rutgers if you are getting a lot of financial aid.

Other places to consider

SUNY-Binghamton
    Ithaca College
    University of Richmond
    University of Mary Washington
    Clarkson University

17. MRod

MRod Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Has any heard anything about Carlton College in Minnesota? It seems like a pretty college. Just wondering if that's the same thought up North.

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I go to Carleton. We have no business program, but I love it here. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

20. MRod

MRod Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Oh sweet! I'm not sure you would know, but is the Latin American Studies program any good?

21. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Of course you won't.

But you're implying that you'll somehow miss out on BETTER networking opportunities if you're in Omaha and not New York.

And really, that's just a silly thing to say when talking about a business degree.

22. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fordham University also has a College of Business Administration that has gotten some pretty good reviews. My roommate graduated from CBA and got plenty of opportunities for internships, including JP Morgan and Ernst & Young (OK, he was a workaholic, but still, there are opportunities for Fordham students). Fordham's not as big as UConn or Rutgers, certainly, but it is definitely a fine institution. Pretty campus, too (although the scenery changes a bit once you step outside the gates... oh yeah, and our sports teams typically suck. :( ) All in all, though, I loved Fordham, and I think other people should definitely take a look for themselves.

Anyway, as most people have said, the only thing that makes the business schools "better" in the Northeast is the proximity to bigger businesses (which, when you look at it, does make some difference). But the problem is, you have a lot of other fresh college grads gunning for the same spot as you, and they all have business degrees too. My advice? Come for the education and internships if you can, but unless you're a glutton for punishment, I would consider seeking career opportunities in somewhat more temperate climates.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so......but their grad school intra-mural soccer team were a bunch of dirty bastards. I still have a scar on my leg from a studs up tackle one of those fookers gave me.

;)

24. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Well, push me and I'll say a bachelors in business is a silly thing. :p

From what I understand, the higher ups would rather hire someone with a broad understanding of the liberal arts than someone with the narrow focus on business models and practices. They'd rather train you in their own mode, and want people who can "think outside the box."

An MBA is another matter.

But what do I know? I'm an academic. In the humanities.

I've family from/in Omaha, so I'm not against the place, but you can't compare the business opportunities here in NYC with anywhere else in the country. Please.

Since they were mentioned above, I know someone quite well who is tenured as a business prof at Penn State and it is excellent.

And I am biased towards my alma mater, Binghamton, whose business school is top-flight.

25. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. That is one of the biggest lies there is.

If you are not a business major coming out of school many companies won't even look @ you.

Indeed & Indeed.