News: College Presidents Want Lower Drinking Age

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Dr. Wankler, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I am a high school teacher and I think the high school kids have easy access now, I cringe when I think about half the kids in my school being able to drink legally.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damnit!! 18 years to late.

Peth, Class of 1994.

4. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't read the articles, but I get the feeling that these college presidents just don't want the kids drinking in the dorms, which would happen less if they could go to the bars. On my campus, the powers-that-be don't care unless we get too loud or put pictures on the interweb.

5. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    My high school govt teacher told us how in his high school days there were quiet a few hung over 18 year old seniors in school throughout the school year. But it makes me wonder. I remember being 19 thinking I was some kind of champ because I was able to drink a 12 pack of MGD and several shots of evan williams in one sitting but as soon as I turn 21 it lost its excitement and I realized how stupid it was. If the drinking age had been 18 makes me wonder if me (and everyone else) would have thought drinking was the cool thing to do.

Maybe 19 would be a good compromise? Pretty much rules out the majority of high schoolers from being able to legally get drunk on school nights.

6. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    If they have to lower it, I agree with your 19 suggestion. That would eliminate most high schoolers. This is just scary though. Drinking is such a part of high school at my school that it doesn't really matter how old you are. The freshman are partying it up drinking, taking pictures of it, and posting it on myspace.