College Cup 2016

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by stphnsn, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    A College Cup with maybe 1,000 fans (give or take 300), played on green sand. Let's you know exactly what the NCAA thinks about Men's Soccer. #afterthought. But then again - even the MLS can't figure out that they should go to a fall - spring schedule. I guess playing on green sand beats playing in sub zero weather.

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    While I didn't think the ref called a good game - I would have liked to see a yellow against Skunridge (Stanford #12) for the GK contact. Not a red (in my opinion). A few other instances of yellows would have made the game more about soccer.

I don't see 2 red cards unless you are counting mythical accumulation without giving the players the benefit that their play wouldn't have been impacted by receiving the first yellow.

fknbuflobo and upper_v repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    [​IMG]

4. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Reality is that Wake has played Stanford twice in the past two years - lost at home (I think both teams were better than this year's teams) and tied this year. So you might want to re-calibrate your odds. Also, if you thought this version of Stanford didn't pass, you should have seen them several years ago. They play much more soccer now. Previously their two CM's were pure destroyers. This years version are much better passers. They are not as good as Wake's CM were on the ball, but Wake's CM's were nowhere near as good at defending.

Let's check back in a couple years to see how your predictions turn out.

johnblue123 repped this.
  5. Demonbeck

Demonbeck New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    That GK challenge was a red IMO, but to get away without even a yellow was criminal.

And yes, the other reds I was counting were accumulations. Though, I've seen reds for less than that shoulder challenge as well.

Regardless, the ref dictated the play on the field and it favored goonish play, not soccer.

6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would it be to warrant a red?
    • Serious foul play
    • Violent behavior
    • Fighting
    • Spits
    • DOGSO
    • Hostile/abusive langauge
    • Second caution
    Only argument could be "serious foul play," which would be incredibly harsh. Considering everything else that has actually been deemed "serious foul play," that challenge is nowhere close to it. Not arguing at all that it should have been a yellow card -- even a talking to would show the CR is doing his job.

Although, the reaction from Wake players...there was little-to-no argument that the challenge was that bad. Even Cases Mundet didn't protest it. Heck, the RB (I believe was the mark) didn't even act like he wanted to protect his goalkeeper, before OR after the contact.

7. Demonbeck

Demonbeck New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    "A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball. Violent conduct may occur either on the field of play or outside its boundaries, whether the ball is in play or not."

That player was not challenging for the ball. The ball had been punched away long before he launched into the goalie.

I would say that both serious foul play AND violent behavior should be argued in this case. His intent was not to get the ball. (Otherwise, he would have been there long before.)

Edited to add: Yellow or red, the point is that neither card was shown. I don't think anyone is arguing that that player should have gotten away without a card. If the ref had shown a card for this and many other infractions, the game wouldn't have gotten out of hand and would have been a much better game. The ref lost control of this match and that clearly played more into Stanford's hands than Wake's.

8. boxcar123

boxcar123 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Does Stanford get the ACC trophy too?

Sandon Mibut and OverseasView repped this.
  9. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    I have some bias because I am a Wake fan, and I say there is no way that is a red card. Not a chance. I would argue that the challenge was somewhat malicious as he didnt even look for the ball. He was playing the keeper. Regardless, you cant completely change the game for that challenge. IMO he deserved a yellow.

Hillard-arce completely deserved a yellow for his challenge. Sure he can argue he was playing the ball, but his intent was to take out the player. He is not much of a soccer player, which will allow him to do perfectly fine in the MLS. A big, tough CB that lacks the ability to possess fits the MLS's MO.

fknbuflobo and ThePonchat repped this.
  10. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    "Let them play ...

... rugby"

11. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    Is it me or does it seem a high percentage of the games at College Cup go to extra time and penalties?

Why is that

johnblue123 and fknbuflobo repped this.
  12. Demonbeck

Demonbeck New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Because of results like Stanford saw. If the NCAA were serious about soccer, It wouldn't be that way. Of course, if the NCAA were serious about soccer, The college, would not be on those fields and they would have better Refs.

It's easier to just bunker in and try to counter attack and then just practice penalty kicks all year then to develop and recruit talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnblue123 repped this.
  13. boxcar123

boxcar123 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Demonbeck quit crying. Having seen both games that these two have played I would agree that in 2015, Stanford sat in more, as opposed to the final where they actually pressed a lot more and forced Wake's back four to hit the ball more than they have all season. The objective of sport is to win, and just because a particular style is different doesn't make it wrong.

I also wonder what Wake will look like in a few years. I know that their captain (Harkes absolutely hates Muus) along with other players amongst the squad.

upper_v repped this.
  14. torwart

torwart Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  15. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In any knockout-style tournament, we see teams play for penalties or draws all the time. That's been a major problem at the World Cup for several years -- part of the reason they went to awarding 3 points for a win instead of 2 points.

Teams recognize if they are better/worse than their opponent. They try to get a result any way they can.

16. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    What are Harkes's qualms with Muuss?

Watching a good amount of Wake's games this year, something I noticed was that the back four got worse and worse with distribution as the year went on. The surface wasn't to blame for this, Bandy and Raben gave the ball away so many times and it encouraged Stanford to press the back four even more. Gunn even made a comment about this heading into the locker room at half, that pressing the back four was allowing them to stop Wake's possession.

17. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    What would have the NCAA do then?

In terms of the field the problem is that those types of stadiums are trying to maximize revenue to keep the doors open. I think they need to go back to Cary or even Alabama ( can't remember where they played but at least if it were in the East you would get some fans there. The last two College Cups have been embarrassing as far as attendance goes.

The referees. I assume they brought in the best college referees they could. Maybe that is a big assumption on my part though. I have no ideas who the refs were or how much experience they have.

How do they become serious about soccer?

18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just my opinion, but they (NCAA) become serious about soccer when the rest of the "soccer community" becomes serious about NCAA soccer.

It's one of the top-5 losingest sports in NCAA financially. Attendance is poor. Television viewership is poor. The College Cup championship had 82,000 viewers on Sunday. Granted, it was ESPNU...but, that number doesn't help anything. Billiards broadcasts more than doubled the College Cup match.

As much as I want NCAA to do something different, it won't happen until the "soccer community" almost forces the hand to make a change. Produce a better product. Get more involved in the game. Give back to the game. Support the game. Houston has a population of 2.196m and they can't even get 7,000 fans at the game?! That's pretty pitiful. Heck, lacrosse gets 3x to almost 5x that attendance mark at any division level. No excuses, except for soccer is just not a spectator sport...especially by the soccer population.

There are over 246,000 youth soccer players registered within USYSA in North and South Texas. Also over 67,000 registered HS players in Texas. No reason why there isn't more watching the DI soccer championship.

19. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Having to play Friday/Sunday after already playing 25 games over three months on a crap field won't lend itself to attractive and creative soccer. Put semi's on campus final in Santa Barbara with a week break. Then we will see what kind of games we have.
    There is zero promotion done for the event. zero.

upper_v, johnblue123, ThePonchat and 2 others repped this.
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think it's chicken-and-egg catch-22 for college soccer.

It will get more support when the product gets better and is better marketed but it won't get a better product until it gets more support.

Given that this isn't happening in a vacuum and there is so much other soccer and so many other developmental and educational options, it's a death spiral - slow, but a spiral none the less - for college soccer.

College soccer doesn't get the elite American talent any more. That's not really up for debate. How many players from the last U17 team play college soccer? How many current U20 players?

The overall talent level of the college player is, IMO, improving because it's arriving in college better prepared. But the top tier has gone down so there aren't those few elite players who make the game better.

Combine that with all the competition in the fall and the crappy weather and condensed schedule and limited scholarships and it's a perfect formula for an unattractive product that doesn't draw crowds in person and on TV.

Toss in coaches who don't do more to promote their program, ADs who don't give a rat's ass about the sport and things get worse.

But any positive, proactive changes will cost money and the NCAA doesn't want to spend more money on something that is already a cash drain. So odds are few, if any, changes will get made.

So we just keep going with how things are. Meanwhile MLS continues to grow, interest - and the ability to watch - foreign soccer continues to grow, more MLS teams have reserve teams, more foreign teams sign US kids, there are more options like on-line classes or partnerships with local colleges like the Galaxy have and it's just a perfect storm.

Then folks are surprised when the product sucks? Well no shit, given all the circumstances, of course it's gonna suck. Two games in a day and a half? Less than the entire roster on a full ride? Games played opposite the NFL and MLS Cup and with short notice to travel?

Shit, it's amazing college soccer is able to produce what it does in terms of pro talent given all that.

I don't mean to be so dire and fatalistic. I just think we have to be realistic about the situation.

OverseasView, johnblue123 and ThePonchat repped this.
  21. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get this. 100% correct.

I went to DII National Championship (and semifinal) and saw it first-hand. Granted, it was only DII. There were two "yard sale signs" posted leading up to Swope Park Soccer Village that made anyone aware there was games going on. In nearby Raytown, they had no clue there was an event. A former player of mine had club evaluations the same day/time as the national championship. As a club coach, I'm getting my club there. As a high school coach, I'm getting my team there. As a college coach, I'm taking my team (within reason) there. I live 3.5 hours away, so taking any of those is unrealistic for the most part.

No excuses for NCAA in this. But, the soccer community HAS to be aware of events. Clubs, coaches, parents, players, etc. can do their own research to figure out what is happening and where it is. That's the job of all of these entities IF they want to see soccer grow. Just my 2 cents. But, to me, that's where it starts. Grassroots grows the sport...even more.

OverseasView and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    Here is the problem.

Having to play Friday/Sunday is a FINANCIAL consideration. Somebody at the NCAA would have to agree to allow a week between semifinals and Final. That probably won't happen.

You either have to fly teams back and forth or put teams up for a week at Santa Barbara.

Both are expensive.

I am sure they are trying to play them at venues they think would be successful.
    Plus playing them in the middle of the country would help cut down on travel. Flying two teams out to Santa Barbara will be expensive.

Houston and Kansas City are great soccer towns I am sure, but it doesn't seem like there is much advertisement about the games.

Again, I think you put it on the East Coast where the majority of the teams come from and you might get some fans to travel there.

Cary and I think Legion Field in Alabama see to draw the best.

23. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I just checked - the NCAA Frozen Four this season will be held in Chicago, in the stadium where the Blackhawks play. Cheapest seats available are $175 plus fees - and the place will be sold out by March.

So the NCAA does know how to conduct a profitable tournament.

24. Demonbeck

Demonbeck New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    You've got to play it where there is interest. IIRC, the College Cup was held near Dallas a few years ago (Might have been women's CC) and the fields were great. Cary has been the best I've seen in terms of fans/fields, but the NCAA is punishing NC right now.

If Santa Barbara has the field/fans, I would be opposed to that. You really need the stands (big or small) to be packed and raucous. Feel free to move around, but you've got to promote the sport and put it in a place that's going to be excited about the whole weekend.

As far as refs go, there is no way that guy was the best the NCAA could muster. He was in over his head from the kick off.