coaching

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by FreedomFan526, Feb 27, 2003.

1. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    Hello all. I usually just stick to the womens soccer threads but I am hoping to get some help from you all. I will be graduated from college in just over a year. Upon graaduating I will be teaching either elementary or middle school. I am hoping that I can find a coaching position in a middle school. My question is what road do I need to take to attain this position? I do not know anything about coaching so i do not know if I need to receive training aand what not. If I cannot find a coaching job at the middle school level I will look for a job at the recreational level. It may sound greedy but I am first hoping to find something that will pay since I am just starting my career. Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. Shaune

Shaune New Member

Jan 12, 2002
    New Jersey
    I would say it depends on where you are located, but you are already 1/2 way there with a teaching degree. Most schools jump at the chance to have staff that are interested in coaching. Teachers get priority over outside parties (coaches with substitute teaching licenses) who want a coaching position.
    As far as experience I would recommend going to at least a USSF 'F' course (check your state youth soccer website) or attending an NSCAA course Youth Diploma or State course (www.nscaa.com). You can add more coaching classes from there.
    Where I'm located a lot of people don't want their kids playing middle school ball because the coaches have no experience in soccer. I applaud the teachers for their enthusiasm at offering to coach, but some of the practices and habits that the kids come back with from school ball can be frightening.
    By the same token you have some coaches that played in college and took coaching courses who are fantastic with the kids.

Good luck to you!

3. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    Thank you for your quick response. I went to the Virginia Youth Soccer Association website and contacted a couple of people on there. Hopefully that will send me on my way. I would like to receive at least F level certification before I coach because I feel that without some sort of education I will not provide the team with a very good coach.

4. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Gordon Miller and Dave Linenberger at the Virginia Youth office are quite good and place a HEAVY emphasis on coaching education, whether you're just starting or a 20-year veteran. I would recommend going to at least a D course.

5. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FF,

Once you get your teaching job, go to the high school coaches in the school system and ask them what they want / need. You may be able to land an assistant position -- even if it's a very low paid or unpaid assistant's position, you'll learn.

Also, ask them about the local clubs and find and contact coaches in the local clubs. Many of the bigger clubs have paid assistant coaches too. Again, hook up with a good coach and learn from them while you're getting your license.

As for which license to get -- START with your USSF E license. I'm not sure about out east, but here in the midwest to coach select or travel, you have to have your E license. F is geared toward teaching the rec coaches (i.e., volunteer parents) the basics. Get your E license the first year and go for the D your next year. To be a head coach at the premier level, you'll need your D license -- and C would be better.