Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Berhalter said he doesn't have a 10 so he'll instead do a formation with two 10's but it's really an 8 (say Mckennie) and a 10/7? (Pulisic). With other players it's 8/10's, 6/8's etc. How many classical #10's does the US have anywhere in their pipeline? Maybe Carleton, Akale and ????

2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mihailovic. And Akale is a YNT player until he gets senior minutes.

3. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I just don't understand the love for Roldan. He's practically been anonymous every cap he's gotten.

4. Technical and tactical abilities you develop as youngsters, as these are hard or impossible to develop after you reach 21. Muscles you can develop at any age.
    So the correct order is brains first muscles later.

5. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    That has no bearing on what I said. You incentivize the development in the youth ranks of what you promote later

6. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Why must Puli play as a cm? Im not denying hes a good option. Cant we fit all the necessary parts on, in their natural positions, with him in his natural position?

Patrick167 repped this.
  7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3CB with Brooks responsible for deep distribution:
    Morris Zardes
    Pulisic
    Fab Adams McKennie Yedlin
    Ream Brooks Long
    Horvath
    If you prefer a 4-3-3:

Morris Zardes Arriola
    Pulisic McKennie
    Adams
    Ream Brooks Long Yedlin
    Horvath
    The core spine that we should building around screams high energy transition attack but we seem to be going in some other direction.

8. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    The first option im ok with. Hes not one of the defensive 7 in that tactical set up.

My concern comes in when hes expected to fall back defensively in a central position. Hes now 1 of the defensive 7. He can get beat up and it will take away from his ability going forward. I think he has ok vision but hes not exactly a lock picker. So, Im reluctant to place him deep centrally.

Also, since we know MB or Trapp are locked in....Why not play Adams and Mckennie ahead of one of them? Puli would still be deadly in his natural wing position.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #184 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    The reason you want Pulisic centrally in a free role is illustrated in his touches first posted by @bsky22 IIRC. He is a terror running at defenses in space. Remember that was the 2016 version, he is now a bigger, stronger, and more composed/mature player.

In a 4-3-3 is he a CAM or a WF? I prefer him at CAM (the De Bruyne/Iniesta role). I would like to see him tried in both slots in the next 2 matches.

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who had any doubt that a Wil Trapp slot protection scheme was in effect to make sure WFT has zero competition, well ...

A Michael Bradley or a Wil Trapp, [they are] a very controlling player,” Berhalter said. “When you have the dynamic guy next to them in Tyler, who can come inside and still be influential in that position, we think it’s exciting and we want to take a look at it.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-gregg-...dams-as-the-usmn-ts-right-back-012158072.html

I think that Russel Canouse's comments about not getting a fair chance to compete looks stronger as time goes on.

11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Stranger? nah just state the obvious. Real situation. At some point these players will have to file a lawsuit or not even come into camps and protest.

12. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    link to interview?

13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle on MLSSoccer.com said that Adams can't make the forward pass to a CF that Trapp or Bradley can make?

I guess he does not watch much BuLi where TA makes passes on the dribble, under pressure. Those are areas where WFT and MB90 shit their pants in terror.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Wow that's what you took out of that? Intentionally ignoring all the explicit tactical discussion and logical reasoning on WHY Berhalter is doing what he's doing? And how's trying to fit players to their strengths and accommodate their weaknesses?

This forum is filled with trolls. Klinsmann trolls, USSF trolls, just a shit ton of trolls who simply want to make life miserable for this forum. They're succeeding to.

Dude is 2 - 0. Go f*ck yourself y'all.

ardubois3 and Pragidealist repped this.
  16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Do you people live to be miserable? I mean what do you even get out of this? It's straight up pathetic. I've been a fan of this program since the 94 World Cup, and have never seen this much whining, bitching, and sheer ridiculousness around here during that time.

Pathetic

Pegasus and Pragidealist repped this.
  18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
  20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    where was this anger when Bradley was walking to the corner flag before we missed the world cup?

nowherenova repped this.
  21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Keep holding us back. progress is key.

22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    For me, Morris actually belongs you know. On the other hand, how many more of our players are we going to push aside so MB can continue to have a role in his preferred position.

Are we going to push every single DM/CM player to other positions or just never give them a chance like Canouse?

23. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    You’re saying other people are trolling for posting about soccer while you are here posting about other posters. And you are talking about other people whining while making a post specifically to whine. Good stuff.

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope Berhalter isn't beholden to this system.

@Suyuntuy made a good point that players may have the capability to play a position but even slightly novel situations often can confuse and disorientate players who you would be expected to perform well enough in that role. A national team does not have time to iron these issues out.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  25. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    You sound angry, dawg.