Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I would agree that I can think of at least twp players that I would consider over each of them. The key word, of course is "I".

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  2. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ah, the 3-2-2-3. It was all the rage back in the '20s.

TOAzer and Konut repped this.
  4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is what I said about the WM back in January!

Namdynamo, smokarz and Suyuntuy repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to find a Puskas!

Lloyd Heilbrunn and TOAzer repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He should just go to the 352 and be done with it.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    2-3-5 man. With interior forwards, outside forwards, half-backs and full-backs, no midfield.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #1283 juvechelsea, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    some of this calls for basic, does this seem like it would work, logical-practical common sense. leveraged by several games of in practice looking like rubbish.

i find a lot of the formational//x and o talk to be a quasi onanistic excuse to sell their book study of soccer. i think you don't need any book study to see how the tactics work. i think it helps on stuff like this to have played or to just watch how the games go. turning it into an abstract exercise only gives GB a fighting chance of talking you into it, or playing for time.

it's kind of like the games last year where saief got grief for being told to run from one spot on offense to another on defense.

in my experience this right back thing pulls our best DM out of position, and then doesn't firm up the back since he doesn't actually play.....right back. so we take what would be our best defender and push him higher where he can be countered on, and undermine the security of that flank. you would look like less of an idiot if you actually put Adams at RB but said stay back. and even less if you played him in position.

what's worse, you will now have some schmuck trying to play two positions at once and exposed on that right. so your frankenstein's monster of an idea is now not very bright and any team watching the tape should know to go up our wings and in particular that right side.

this is not just a selection undermanning itself by selection and injury, but not helping itself one bit with tactics.

UncagedGorilla, Namdynamo and TOAzer repped this.
  9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #1284 juvechelsea, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    curious what is going on with our training or fitness and strength coaching where players fall like flies. or is this the acceptable excuse out of camp playing the odds the coach gets canned soon enough where one can get right back on the field in the fall based on their pre-tournament tape.

i also think with mihailovic as the injury replacement, it becomes clear we have lost the plot on how to compose a roster that can do anything in this tournament. this is 2011 bad and bradley got more ammo after group round.

are you seriously telling me weah/ Sargent/ green/ wood etc. aren't better than Mihailovic? and i realize only one is on the 40 man and that itself is a problem. and i am sure the response is but those are forwards. zardes is a mid, regardless of current pretenses otherwise. you push him back and call a forward.

as it stands i see 2 mids who can create. where are the goals coming from?

the coach is so blinkered and lost that he basically can't have injuries without turning the team into Camp Cupcake again. compound that with the tactical myopia and i will be interested if we advance from group or how long we last. we will beat Guyana without Creavalle and anything else will be hard earned.

10. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Mihailovic? Really? One of the worst players on the field his last game, yet gets called up. Wow.

Ditto Trapp, but starts as captain next game? WTF? Is Egg trying to get fired?

Patrick167 repped this.
  11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    preliminary roster tied his hands as @bshredder pointed out

12. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Yep. And who chose that preliminary roster? Oh yeah, thanks. Maybe Corey Baird can get called up too. Perfect for a team where Trapp is the captain.

Statman, yurch10, UncagedGorilla and 3 others repped this.
  13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I have made this argument before but met with outrage. The MLS folks were really upset that I claimed the four biggest "events" to improve the USMNT were 1) The NASL/Cosmos, 2) 1994 WC, 3) Fox Soccer Channel (easy access to top level club soccer) and 4) CP breaking through at BVB as a teenager.

The arguments against this were extremely poor and not well thought out. MLS has been a weight on the USMNT. It contributed to the "lost generation" and we are deeply hurt by a an MLS filled roster being led by an MLS quality coach. There was plenty if interest in our players back in the 90s and organic growth of the A-League would have been far better for our talent pool up to this point. I am hopeful that the league will finally embrace being a selling league, but trust Garber to do anything for the actual game in this country.

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for taking the time to compile these statistics. It was very insightful, and frankly, I thought things were a bit different, but the facts don't lie.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter had 3 wins and 1 draw before the losses to Jamaica and Venezuela. You have to count all of his results, not just the bad ones. Let's see what the Gold Cup has in store for us.

Honore de Ballsac and largegarlic repped this.
  16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikey has played as poorly for Toronto as he does for the national side. Unless success is counted as having surpassed Pete Vagenas as "The King of Pass Back"

QuakeAttack and FormerNo10 repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Martino is a good fit with Mexico. Tata is a disciple of Bielsa and his "continuous movement" but is not considered a Bielsista proper, since he emphasizes defense as much as attack. Mexico is a team capable of the quick combos, the switch of tempo, and the ball control needed to implement such a system, plus they've always been rather lackadaisical in defense, so Tata can work with them to improve that part of their game.

Martino wouldn't be such a good fit with us, since our pool lacks players with the ball control & shot-passing accuracy to follow his style. Still, taking him, we'd have kept him away from Mexico. That combo, Tata+MX, is going to give everybody headaches in the quals. Until the fans turn on him, and demand his head, after something silly. It's going to happen.

18. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the USA can expect to get its clock cleaned both in the USA and Mexico? Awesome! [/sarcasm]

TOAzer repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think it's not just possible, but likely.

yurch10 repped this.
  20. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Garber couldn't be bothered about the actual sport outside of large markets. He's taking a commission on every franchise sold - regardless if they do anything for the actual sport or not.

21. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am officially referring to Berhalter as "Gerg" going forward.

If you are going to set up in that nonsense, why tip your hand ahead of time??

The only thing that formation would have going for it is a "surprise" factor since no one ever sees it.

22. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Egg Salad on Toast

23. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Unless Berhalter has a magic chemistry/momentum card up his sleeve I think it's pretty obvious what the Gold Cup is gonna look like for us.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well lucky for him we have the easiest game of the group first.

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1300 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    We are facing the 175th, 92nd, and 75th ranked teams in the world. We are ranked 30th.

I know that there is a huge PR effort by USSF to lower expectations but come on, this should be 7 points and win the group at a bare minimum. As a point of comparison the last A team GC we played in 2015:

2015A: USA 27th, Panama 54th, Honduras 75, Haiti 76
    2017B: USA 35, Panama 52, Martinique NA, Nicaragua 105
    2019A: USA 30, Panama 75, T&T 92, Guyana 175