Coaching Discussion: 2015 Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Coach' started by rca2, Jul 28, 2015.

1. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I read his comment differently. He was commenting on the play that he observed during matches rather than an inability of the players to play "back-to-goal."

The expression itself, "back-to-goal," is misleading because you train your players to avoid receiving the ball while facing directly away from the goal. Even if a checking run is perpendicular to the goal line, it should end with a turn facing away from the perpendicular. Saves a step in the turning with the ball and better vision. In the center, you expect the check backs to be more lateral (than vertical) to receive the ball nearer to the goal. Good habits. Faster play.

2. Joe Waco

Joe Waco Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's why I was curious. I was thinking surely forwards can check back to the ball and play a style other than through ball. And good point on not checking back in a straight line. It was something I hadn't ever really thought about it until a coaching course. One of those things that makes perfect sense, but having never really been taught I always did the check straight to ball until the coaching course. Just wished I had learned that 10-15 years ago instead of a 1-2 years ago!

3. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC