Coaching Changes 4

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Crimson Ace, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Northwinds

Northwinds Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Eau Claire,Wisconsin
    Winning is not the only mark of a good coach.

The female head coaches you sited are all great coaches and leaders and examples for any coach...male or female. But they have all been at it for years and have experience and are proven winners and leaders of young women. The problem is the female who gets hired because she is female. Too many to list.

2. crtaylor4

crtaylor4 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    I am not advocating for women with zero experience to get jobs.Trust me, far from that arguement. I was just stating reasons why there are a smaller number of qualified females for the jobs. I am stating that within all of soccer, high school, club, college, ODP (and yes I have coached on all those levels!) there is a wall to break through and unless you are a female, I don't think you can totally understand it. It's a different battle.

3. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Yeah, but what are the recent coaching changes?

4. hairdryer

hairdryer New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Re: Horses Mouth

If you think I'm the only male college soccer coach with these stories (and I have more) then you are very naive.

5. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I don't think anyone on here is opposed to hiring a qualified female. Hire the best candidate, regardless of gender.

But that is not the mandate that administrators are giving. They are saying flat out "we will hire a woman" or telling the HC, "you must hire a woman."
    That is unfair. They should be saying "hire the best candidate."

The argument of "well how will I get experience if no one will hire me" is just pitiful. How do you get experience? The same way most men do. Your first job is making 5K and you have to share a room with another guy, work 2 or 3 jobs just to make ends meet. You learn, grow on the job and are in a position when the next job opens to make the step up.

I have heard coaches talk about the applications they get. The male applicants have busted their chops coaching 3 club teams, volunteer coaching at their local university and taken on a high school team as well. And they have done that for years. Then a woman, 2 years out of school, wants to step into and get hired for a 40K a year assistant job. Riiiiight.

Then they say "well how will I get experience if I can't get a job?"

The best thing female coaches can do is model to their players that coaching is a "pay your dues profession". Have them volunteer for the team the spring of their senior year and be a volunteer coach the next year...while they are working another job to pay the bills. Educate them on how the hiring process works (they need to go work camps to meeet other coaches) and teach them the game while they coach them.

Too many females are being handed jobs. Out of some of those, there will be good coaches and they will do fine. SOme are awful, and they will fail. And the school will move on. FIne. That is not my personal issue. My issue is the hiring process.

6. Total90

Total90 New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Outstanding UPPRV....I think my point has finally hit home. 15 years ago, I coached 2 club teams, a HS varsity team, substitute teaching gigs, volunteered at Region I ODP, worked 10 weeks of soccer camps during the summer, and volunterred as a collegiate assistant...all in the span of 10 years to "pay my dues".

I've now been a head collegiate coach for 8 years and very successful...but still, when an opportunity has presented itself to move up or around...I've lost out to young and inexperienced females. None of whom have even a quarter of the experience I have. I am not bashing the females....I am bashing the administrators!

Best candidate available....regardless of gender....should be the foundation!

7. Total90

Total90 New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Before you all jump on me for my math...I stand corrected on the "15 years ago"...it should read "18 years ago"...the 5 is too close to the 8 on my computer key pad.

8. soccer1111

soccer1111 New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    upprv.... hook me up with the schools that are paying their assistant 40K! I mean I'm qualified! CHA CHING!$$$ This is an issue that will not be solved on the prestigious bigsoccer.com. And everyone needs to keep in mind that everyones definition of "qualified" is different than others. Now can ya'll get back to talking about coaching changes!

Such as: what is going on at SMU? What's the deal with B. Waldrum no longer ND? Has Randy filled his position? Who will be the next National Champion team?

9. uheardithear

uheardithear New Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Rumor is PJ from Cal Poly SLO took the asst. job at USD. USD asst who left for Stanford. SO who now to Cal Poly?

10. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I have heard really shady things about B Waldrum and the University of Notre Dame. I don't want to repeat things that aren't true or make enemies when I am merely curious as to what happened. I asked on the ND thread and no one answered. Was he "officially" let go, or did he resign? And he is in Texas coaching club, right?

11. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX
    Ahhhh. Back to the Forum Topic OF COACHING CHANGES, NOT GENDER ISSUES.
    Feel free to start a new thread Boys & Girls?
    Coaching changes?
    SMU- Assistant job..The light at the end of the tunnel might not be so bright in Dallas?
    Southern Miss- Is there more to the story than going home to work with the FAI or mission work? Look for CUSA assistants to go after that one (Male and Female).
    UALR- Hire Freddy Delgado from ULM? Good hire? Oh what will lamb do now?
    Marshall- also looking for a new assistant (1 year deal) after last assistant got DUI and got hired at V.Tech? Good Hire?
    Remember Coaching changes not, Admin. mistakes on who, why, and what gender do we hire. You all make very good points. BUT point then in another thread, maybe?

12. soccer1111

soccer1111 New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    I've heard the same shady things but waiting for someone else to have the guts to say it...

And it would make sense for him to go back to Texas... thats where he is from. What is the deal at SMU... I hear people are not happy with B. Irwin.

13. Total90

Total90 New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Add another one....Liberty University

14. TSUSoccer

TSUSoccer New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Midwest
    Well there you go guys. My guess is that the chance of a woman getting that job would be something akin to Jerry Falwell showing up for the home opener.

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    My money's on the assistant, named "Godwin", who's bio says his wife was named "Christiansen".

couldn't resist.....

Ok, you got us! There is at least one DI school in the US that doesn't appear to care much about gender equity. Did Liberty even resist having women's sports?

16. TSUSoccer

TSUSoccer New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Midwest
    I knew you guys had a good sense of humor. Not much insight but a good sense of humor. Do the Liberty women have to play in burlap sacks?

17. Total90

Total90 New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    St Francis job now open....very late decisions by the schools or coaches, don't you think?

18. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States