'Coach, there's three Americans on this team.'

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    From an ASN story about Thomas Rongen:

"If Bryan Arguez doesn't get sold from D.C. United to Hertha Berlin, Brooks probably would have fallen by the wayside. I knew some players in Germany, like Julian Green, and I had just discovered Mix Diskerud. So I convinced Sunil [Gulati] to give me some money to go to Europe and look at some players. I had not made the connection yet at Hertha until I got a phone call from Bryan, who said, 'Coach, there's three Americans on this team.' And I was like, 'What are you talking about?'"

Arguez was referring to..."​

Of the top of your head, who were the other two?

(That shouldn't be too tough for most of us here, but what the heck.)

Answer here:
    http://americansoccernow.com/articles/thomas-rongen-recalls-bringing-john-brooks-to-u-s

xbhaskarx and Winoman repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I know Kiesewetter was one (he and Brooks are childhood friends from the same neighborhood in Berlin and still very close today, calls him his brother) the other (I'm guessing) was T-Boyd.

Winoman and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  5. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

So, what's my prize?

In the spirit of the competition I'm hoping it's a Rongen-signed Nevan Subotic Serbia kit to add to my budding collection of ironic sports memorabilia.

adam tash, sXeWesley and fightingswans repped this.
  6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the Joe Carter HR ball signed by Mitch Williams?

7. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    The way Arguez's career has gone, this is going to be the main thing he's remembered for.

LouisianaViking07/09 and bshredder repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is BigSoccer. The only prize you get for posting is maybe you get to post again.

dougtee and The Irish Rover repped this.
  9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Wasn't Alfredo Morales on that Hertha team too?

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, he's a '90 -- a bit older then the other guys, and he was called into a U20 camp in April '08. Arguez was there too. (@smithfan gets credit for starting a Morales thread in 2006. Offhand I don't recall if Morales was called in before that, but I don't think he was.)

I don't know whether he actually played on any of the same Hertha squads as the other guys (or Arguez, for that matter, though Arguez is actually the oldest of the bunch).

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/alfredo-morales-at-fc-ingolstadt-04.414584/

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This being BigSoccer and all that goes with it . . .

What's the second prize? :p

12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    A great Big Soccer Myth that never dies- Rongen was responsible for Subotic leaving the U.S. fold. Not exactly- while Rongen may have made a comment that Subotic wasn't quite ready for the U20s (at that point in time he was still unsettled and was very inconsistent), Subotic was pretty clear from prior comments that he really wanted to play for Germany internationally ( turns out he didn't qualify, and Serbia was always his fallback choice), and that he really didn't see himself as an American. For all the criticisms Rongen gets as a coach, and some of them are valid, he's done yeoman's work as a scout of foreign-based Yanks.

Winoman and bshredder repped this.