Clubs with bright futures?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by Pigs, May 14, 2007.

1. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've seen the rise of Fulham and Wigan, But what other clubs in the lower leagues do you think are going up so high? Maybe not rising to the Premiership, but say at least two divisions?

FC United are definetely on the rise, how far / quick they go remains to be seen. But they definetely have the backing, and the support, to go at least two divisions higher.

Another, club I think have a bright future is Truro City. I seen them play at Wembley yesterday. They won the FA Vase Final. Apparently I was told that their chairman has massive plans for them, view of creating a decent stadium and all. Especially considering their potential, since Cornwall is very crap in terms of football teams. Truro is their highest club I think, level 8/9 they play at. So their potential is pretty good. Expect to them rise.

What other clubs do you know of?

2. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFC Wimbledon probably has the potential, given the large support they have due to the nature of their existence. They would have been right in the promotion race if not for the 3 point deduction.

3. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Truro are curently at step six (one below Totton), but are promoted. Saw the game too, but I can't see them rising too quickly up the pyramid. Support does seem pretty good for their level, and they certainly seem to play a good attacking game (GD tells it all, but they did play some entertaining stuff yesterday).

Problem with Cornwall is its isolation. Now certainly would be an appealing location to some, but they can't get the players from surrounding areas who aren't prepared to move, plus travel does seem to have held clubs back in the past (even Taunton/Tiverton).

FC United and Wimbledon the obvious two, and the latter I expect to see in the Conference relatively soon. Appear to be coping with relative difficulties on progressing on the pitch and do have the support of a decent sized group. Will be interesting to see how United cope when things get more difficult. They could do it, but not as convinced they will.

And the original fans club, Enfield Town, have finished above the original club this season (possibly a first time), but I think they will take a long time to recover the status Enfield once had.

In the Conference the obvious club that could go and advance is Stevenage, must have a great chance next season. Several clubs have plans, but no real outstanding candidate.

4. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Didn't make a difference, they made the playoffs, without it would have still finished in that region.

5. speedofsound

speedofsound New Member

May 14, 2007
    Lanham, MD
    Ebbsfleet United, formerly known as Gravesend & Northfleet FC, just changed the name last week in fact, might be a team to keep an eye on. They're in the Nationwide Conference right now.

A friend of mine took me to one of their matches several years ago(03-04 season). My friend is a huge supporter of this team, but he said at the time, that their goal was to avoid relegation to Conf. South since they had mostly part time players. They avoided relegation that year, and slowly improved their final position in the Conference table over the next couple of seasons. They just missed out on a playoff spot a few weeks ago for a chance to play in League 2, so the progress seems to be there, albeit slow.

Now from what I've read the reason for the name change was to include a greater area of the local community in the hopes of getting a larger fan base, but also attracting some bigger sponsorship deals. If the fanbase does increase the bigger sponsorship deals will happen.

A team to keep an eye on for sure.

6. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Except a few members of the local community had trouble actually figuring out where Ebbsfleet actually was. They're going to need some serious investment to progress. And existing fans really don't like the change.

Actually must have passed through the site myself. Northfleet exists (as does Gravesend), and Ebbsfleet doesn't exactly seem the sort of community to really support a side.

7. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    step 6 and promoted? So they'll be playing in the 9th tier of English Football next season? meaning from the Premiership.

Good game wasn't it. Truro played the better football, infact I was impressed by their willingness to play the ball on the ground. Even when they went 1-0 down they never changed their game, patient build up, their last two goals were decent. Totten just booted the ball upfield. I suppose they both played to their strengths.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truro is the largest place in Cornwall, but we'll see how far they go. Certainly, their chairman has the potential to drive them pretty high in the pyramid, but the non-League scene has often seen big-money chairmen come in, plow money into a team, get bored, leave with them with huge debts and eventually they fold.

Even the step up from the South Western League (level 11) to the Western League (levels 9/10, they are promoted to level 9 for next season) is a huge step up in traveling because there are no other Cornish clubs and only a handful of Devon clubs in the WL. If they win promotion again, they will have some rough trips to west London in the Southern League South & West division. They have potential, but you have to keep in mind that the plug could be pulled at any time.

The Gravesend & Northfleet --> Ebbsfleet United change was just bizarre.

Another club that no one has mentioned is Maidstone United. When the original club went bust, they reformed as Maidstone Invicta and joined way down the pyramid at the bottom of the Kent County League (which was a lot lower than AFCW or FCUM started). They won promotion to the Isthmian League Premier (level 7). Their attendances aren't that great because they still play at Sittingbourne FC, but they are building their own ground and definitely have at least Conference potential. Another such club is Dartford, who didn't have a home for over a decade. However, their new stadium opened early this season and they never got a gate of less than 1000, which is outstanding for level 8. I don't know if they have the finances or size to reach the League, but they could reach the Conference down the line.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Outside of the FC United and AFC Wimbledon, I'd choose Stevenage Borough and Burton Albion as teams that could establish themselves in the lower levels of the Football League. Stevenage were denied back in the '90's by the Football League ground-grading regulations then in force. Both they and Burton have League quality grounds and have been knocking on the playoff door the last couple of seasons.

10. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Aye, certainly enjoyed the game and Truro did play some good stuff. And yet again the Vase/Trophy finals will be more entertaining than the Cup. Truro must also be a good shot at defending the title too, especially given FCUM being promoted.

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had to necro this considering the developments in the past year.

Serious investment.

:D HA!

Congrats on the FA Trophy and let's hope they win promotion next year.

Haven't bought into the team myself yet, maybe I will now.

12. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Not actually a huge surprise based upon previous form. A midtable Conference side one year has a decent chance of winning the Trophy the next. Not really convinced by the MyFootballClub idea, even though this will give them a huge boost. Can see falling membership if they don't keep it up.

As for another club mentioned earlier in the thread, Truro City, have had a harder time of things of late. They did win the Western League and will play AFC Totton (Wessex League champions) in the Southern League next season, but off the pitch they are struggling to get headway with a potential new ground and they won't now be going full time. It's going to be awkward with the travelling.

Saw both of them on my travels this season. Truro did manage a good turn out on a rotten day over in Melksham. Totton hardly managing any to a good day in Abingdon.

Dartford and FCUM both promoted to step 3, Wimbledon to step 2. Stevenage missed out on a playoff spot (but should be around challenging next season too) whilst Burton made it. Maidstone united avoided relegation on the final day of the season.

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maidstone United used to be one of the bigger non-league sides, and were typical of the kind of club highlighted by the papers when complaining about how the re-election system was rigged in favour of the existing members. It was sad they only got into the league after losing their own stadium and had to play about 40 miles away in Dartford. Their crowds were far too small to support league football.

Sittingbourne, of course, were tipped to be the next big thing in the non-league game, with ambitious plans for a 20,000 seat stadium, but the sums didn't add up and the club had to sell the stadium to avoid folding.

Dartford were the club that Maidstone shared with when in the league. Both clubs folded almost at the same time, which was rather dubious to say the least, with regards to where the money for the ground sale went.

Dartford's crowds, while very good, aren't quite as good as portrayed there. They have had loads of gates of under 1000, with 504 being the lowest this season, but with a healthy 1135 average.
    http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/attcomp.htm

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because when I wrote that post "this season" was the 2006-07 season! Dartford's attendance naturally dropped off a bit, but it might head back up now that they've been promoted to the ILP.

15. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lewes FC are a good team and they have just been promoted to the conference/ blue square premier they have gone up 4 divisions in 6/7 years i think i'm not 100% but i think and they are really good footballing side the only draw back is they have sacked their manager ????? he was an amazing manager he had loads of contacts and a weeler dealer and got some really good players some who used to play in the premiership or for premiership teams i should say. now they have got this crappy manager who used to sell t-shirts at broghton but if he is ok then we will be awsome

16. Salop

Salop New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Shrewsbury, UK
    As much as it makes me violently ill to say it, Milton Keynes Franchise will more than likely be vying for promotion to the top flight within the next decade. Their last home game of the season drew a whopping 17,000 gate which is indicative of the kind of gates they can expect if they continue to do well and complete work on their Premiership standard stadium. **********.

I also have a feeling that Swansea City are destined for big things. Their gates are on the up and up, they've got a tremendous manager in Roberto Martinez, a shiny new stadium and a real buzz around them.

17. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    BARROW AFC just may be on the rise after 36 years in the non-league wilderness.

Lepers of the FL who got cheated out of the league 36 yrs ago, after enjoying 58 yrs as a Pro club, and have since been cheated of the conf prem 9 yrs ago.

BAFC are now back in the prem.

Hope we can build on this and consolidate this season.

18. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Sadly I think so too. But their crowds aren't that great, and they do offer a lot of complimentary tickets, so I doubt they're making any money at the moment, just being bankrolled by that greasy ******** Winkleman.

Lewes will go the same way as Hornchurch and all the rest of them. The money's run out and they'll drift back to their natural level in a few years. Hopefully they'll take Team Tax with them as well.