Club Release Strategy

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Cantona's Eyebrow, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Sounds like your son's previous club were ambitious. I like that. However, it is only natural that you would have your child's best interests at heart. Looking at the situation from another angle what course of action do you feel would have been more beneficial to the team?

Just playing devil's advocate here, did your child mix well with the other boys? Was he tactically astute? Did he have that "killer instinct"? What were the club's expectations from the boys and was this made clear when you joined?

You mentioned that he played at the back. Out of interest did he prefer a zonal or man marking defensive system?

Glad to hear your son never quit and is enjoying his football at his new club. Football is all about opinions and possibly the previous coach just viewed him as a dud. Time for him to pull up his socks and prove a few people wrong ;) Good luck, young man :thumbsup:

2. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Do you think a child likes to be treated like crap and different from the others by the authority figures, THE ADULTS on the team/club while working his butt off and still not know what he did to deserve it? Do you think a kid enjoys an environment where he is made to feel small for playing a game? Give your head a shake!! Outside of youth sports, this type of treatment would be considered mismanagement and asshole behaviour.

shoplifter, bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  3. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    I hated reading your story, but I hate this part most of all. I have a MAJOR issue with guest players when rostered players are available to play. Team first, guests only as subs and only when necessary.

4. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Coaches should demonstrate character and integrity. All adults should. Trying to figure out how to ignore an 11yo so coaches don’t have to be honest and show some leadership demonstrates neither.

If a coach can’t handle that then they shouldn’t be helping to form the futures of young men and women.

In “real life” you can’t mistreat someone because you made a bad hiring decision. This whole thread is based on pondering mistreating 11 year olds due to cowardice.

I sure hope this is just trolling, as was previously suggested.

mwulf67 and sam_gordon repped this.
  5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    THIS ^

My kid found her passion after being shit-binned for winter and spring of last year by moving to another club this season. She now also plays Rec with her friends and is in a high school league year round with boys - on top of open play during the summer (and Super Y). All that and this weekend she said she would not mind moving to St Charles to go to school with her soccer mates on her club team.

She is happy - passionate the sport and I am happy to support her!

I know some families who have gone to Eclipse and FCU who have found the same changes with their kids - they are playing harder and more passionate. I think being at the same club for so long takes a toll to some extent. In any case - the benefits to change are sometimes not predicted and welcome for sure!

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We literally just left an ECNL Club yesterday. Proverbial straw that broke the camel's back type weekend. My daughter is a good player but confidence was sapped from 1.5 years of crap. She was so happy yesterday after we pulled the band aid off. Grabbed a ball and went to train on her own which she hasnt done in forever. Returning to a smaller club where she will most likely be one of the best players on the team. It will be great for her.

Driven and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    It gets so much better when you stop chasing College $$$ or some BS National Team nonsense. You're going to love seeing your kid smile again!

ppierce34 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    She's also 10.5 years old so not sure what i was thinking putting her in that type of competitive environment so early.

9. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was watching the USWNT game last night and a commercial with Tobin Heath came on. She was talking about how the best coaches she's ever had were still her youth coaches and that she still keeps in touch with them. That validated my decision as the coach was a complete nightmare and certainly not someone that would have a lasting impression on my daughter unless you consider PTSD a lasting impression.