Cloverfield [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ghost, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two reasons I have no desire to see this:

1. I hated the Blair Witch Project. If this movie is at all similar, I don't want any part of it.

2. The reviewer from the NY Post put it pretty well: "We've seen a chunk of this city destroyed, see it again frequently in our imaginations. It isn't fun. The more a movie about the subject looks like documentary footage and the less it looks like a fantasy, the less amusing it is."

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not Blair Witch. Blair Witch sucked. This does not. Blair Witch was not scary. It was stupid. The cahracters in particular were really stupid. Why not follow the river?

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not like the geniuses in this movie, who try to escape an amphibious creature by crossing the Brooklyn Bridge.

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Why would anyone want to escape to Brooklyn and the Island? You would want to move in-land. My bet would have been catch the PATH over to NJ or the Lincoln Tunnel or the GWB.

5. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I really enjoyed it but I grew up watching Godzilla, Mothra, etc. on Saturday mornings as a kid. The movie would've been even more authentic, well as authentic as a monster movie can get, if somebody had said, "Holy shit, it's Godzilla!"

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed it. Some tense moments, that were made more tense by the way it was filmed.

I also like how they never really answered any of the questions that you normally get answered in movies, like where it came from, why, and what actually happens to the people that are bitten. Overall, not the greatest movie, but enjoyable.

7. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    sounds a *bit* like a korean horror movie out a year or two ago... i don't remember what it was called

camera work is entirely different, story slightly so... but it seems to fit

8. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Host.

Is it me or are writers lacking imagination?

9. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I liked it. You do have to suspend disbelief a few times, but that's to be expected. Much better than the usual Hollywood monster fare. They do talk briefly about taking the Lincoln Tunnel out, which would have made sense. It was a little too reminiscent of 9/11 at times, but I suppose that was intended. Still, I thought it was worth watching, especially for a January release.

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It made $17.4 million Friday, which means about $50m for the weekend, which for a January release is astounding.

11. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Host was an EXCELLENT monster film. I haven't seen this one yet, but I think it will be worth it.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    It really is a fabulous movie.

13. DannyJ47

DannyJ47 Member

Aug 9, 2006
    California
    I agree with most people on here that its a love or hate/mixed feelings movie. At the end of the day, Do I think it could have been better ? Yes. Do I regret seeing it? Definitely No.

I remember seeing the trailer for this during a screening of Transformers back in the summer. The marketing for this was genious IMO. I remember coming out of Transformers and everyone in the Lobby was like "What movie was that with the statue of liberty head flying into the street?"

At the end of the day, the movie is what it is, if you understand what im saying. IE, if it would have been shot with a traditional camera or whatever they're called, the picture and sound would have ben way better. BUT it would have lost most if not all of its novelty.

2 more things(I really need to pay more attention)

1)People are saying that in the 2nd to last scene, where Rob and Beth are on their way back from Coney Island apparently something falls into the ocean in the background?? Did anyone catch this?

And 2) What are your thoughts on the whole "Its still alive" quote at the end?

14. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked it, I liked the way it was filmed, made you feel like you were there....I do hope there is a sequel...

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    saw it tonight and loved it. was really concerned about a let down, but for me it was a great twist on the genre.

I stayed to the end and heard the audio in the credits, but did not catch exactly what was said. Also missed whatever fell in the water at the end. Oh well.

Must see, to find out whether your hate or love this flick cause I agree it will fall into that category of film.

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    What I saw was a large burst of white foam in the ocean in the Coney Island scene. Can't exactly say I saw something "fall" into the sea but it was certainly noticable.

"Gimmick" and "novelty" are exactly the words for this. I came out with mixed feelings. Glad I saw it but it was no big deal. The moments we were supposed to really feel for the characters were empty. I guess the entire idea of their "mission" to save this gal who had been injured was so absurd and dumb that, frankly, they deserved everything that happened to them. It wasn't like anything that took place during the rather long party sequence gave me any attachment to these people. And they acted like total jerks when dealing with the soldiers after they were picked up while wandering through the department store. That's where I completely wrote them off.

A major mistake was the full view of the creature's face in Central Park. Looked foolish, not scary. Perhaps Abrams felt the audience would insist upon seeing it and decided to give it to them.

Oh yeah, the Stak Trek trailer was a waste of time. Nothing but the Enterprise under construction.

17. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    i'm waiting for rambo

18. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Agreed. It was a very ill conceived scene all around. The characters are somewhere deep in Central Park. A jet flies over and bombs the monster beyond the edge of the park. The characters talk a bit and then suddenly the monster is right above them, while previously in the film the monster made a huge noise on each step.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that didn't make much sense.

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw it this morning... on the surface, this is a great scary monster movie turned on its head. Just don't sit too close to the screen and you'll be fine.

There were at least 2 "Holy Shit!" moments and my wife watched about 10 minutes with her hands in front of her face.

I've seen a lot of comments about "the monster this and that", I just think people don't realize this movie is not about the monster. The only advice I'd give to anybody going to watch this movie is to go ahead and emotionally invest in the main characters.

21. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    You're assuming it's the same creature. :eek:

:D

I found the film to be exceptional in parts but tedious in others. I'm a New Yorker, so some of the 9-11 imagery was expected. It was good work by the filmmakers to remain "geographically correct" about Manhattan even though there were some liberties taken. Though that looting bit almost turned me off. I guess some stereotypes die hard.

The director isn't talking sequel but isn't ruling it out. Come to think of it: how many other folk were running around with cameras & camera phones that night.

22. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the more I think it over the more I like it. This was a movie too short to really develop characters AND get plenty of shots of a gigantic, rampaging monster. But IMO, the writers and director did a pretty fair job of pulling enough together to make the film engaging from start to finish. I honestly think some of the footage of the beast in action, particularly when we first see up close combat between our military and the "it", is first rate and ranks right up there with the best in this genre. It was terrifying and obviously stomping a$$, i couldnt get enough.

23. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    did their batteries ever get low?

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i wouldnt want to see an IQ contest betewn the blair eitch characters and cloverfield characters

25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    what never made sense to me, was when the monster apparently grabbed the guy with the camera(forget his name) yet dosnt eat him

we see his head and torso not very bloddied btw considering he was basically picked up by the monsters mouth

and the camera still works