Clint!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, May 18, 2004.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: long-distance shooting

I think he has a good shot, but his thing is more running at the defense and slotting it.And he has a very very good header.

2. Americano e Orgulho

Americano e Orgulho New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    I hate Clint Dempsey. No, it's true. He plays like a bastard. But he's just the type of bastard that I'd want on the field for our national team. A f-ing competitor.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he is a pretty skillful bastard.

4. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    He may still end up our number one striker. Over on the youth board, England66 recently was talking about great strikers emerging last in a developing soccer culture. Dempsey's got the right skill set and that something extra (attitude, intangibles, will to win, killer instinct, cold blood on the finish, whatever you want to call it). Of course, just because the great ones display these traits doesn't mean by displaying them Clint will become one of the great ones. But I do expect his coaches to keep deciding that they want him closer to the goal than he'll be at D Mid.

5. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    I like the way Americano e Orgulho put it. I hate Dempsey when he plays against my team, but I would like to see him get a shot with the national team. Perhaps next year.

6. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    That's the only good thing about the Fusion's demise. With no home team, I don't have to hate anybody who plays in MLS.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next Nats coach after Bruce might have a different philosophy for the central midfield. He may want to pair 2 2-way midfielders, and have them sorta take turns getting forward, and be unpredictable. Bruce likes to divide the primary attacking and defending responsibilities, at least in the days before the box midfield. A pair of Clint-types might be the future for the US.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs fans...it seems to me that Clint's tackling has improved. He had a couple of tight, but successful tackles. Once, he was on the far sideline, and tried to get past 2 with the dribble. He was unsuccessful, and a United player (Namoff?) started the other way. Dempsey jumped in, tackled it away, and relaunched his run. That was a good tackle, because it's the type of play where a ref is looking to give a yellow; when you tackle a player immediately after he tackled the ball from you, it looks retaliatory.

The other was in the box, when he very nicely stopped an attack.

Another thing is that Dempsey drew a buttload of fouls tonight, including the 2nd yellow on Dema.

Impressive, impressive player.

9. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him as a two way mid -- not a speciality mid but an all around performer -- a Steven Gerrard, a Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack, Wesley Sneijder, etc. He's got all the technical skills toughness and soccer brain to play in central midfield and combined with a real holding/ defensive midfielder who gives him the freedom to go forward he could really be scary making runs from deep. I also agree with comparing his game to the Germans he's very efficent

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rookie of the Year, baby!!

Quality debut with the Nats!!

bump

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    YES! Way to go Clint!

13. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Bump.

Anyone know where he's gonna play for the Revs this year, AM or DM? I think his NT prospects would be better at the latter, since he'd probably face weaker competition for a roster spot.

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him paired with Shalrie Joseph at d-mid again.

The Magpie

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Cancela still there?

16. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    He is.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Saw it coming a mile away.

19. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    Some new ideas for marketing the newest wunderkind...

Clint is HOT! Touch it!

Clint FEVER!

We Love Our Clint!

There's no such thing as Clint!

Don't Rub Our Clint The Wrong Way!

20. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    As with a new Pope, so must a new Clint be be chosen to succeed the old one. All of us have witnessed the joining together of the two Clints' service to the national team, linked, like an unbroken chain, by 63 minutes on the field together in the Honduras friendly. It is time, now, for the changing of the Clints. Let us pray that the Lord continues to smile upon our Clints, and gives them a result in every match that counts. Amen.

21. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Oh man...

22. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

If you're gonna go there, at least put CLINT in caps.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump!

There's no question now he's going to Germany. The question is, will he start, will he be the first non-defender sub every match, or will he be a situational sub?

Also, notice his career arc...he started hot, had a great 1 1/2 seasons, then faded somewhat, got his batteries recharged, and is looking great.

I hope that Gaven gets recharged and emerges as a force for the Nats for the next cycle.

24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that there are lots of questions concerning who is going to Germany and yesterdays match doesn't change that. I don't think anyone other than Landon and Brian McBride are locked in. Yesterday Clint didn't successfully penetrate the Polish defense at all. He was in the right place at the right time and I will give him credit for heads-up play, but as a midfielder he was pretty sucessfully bottled up all night.

That said, the rest of our midfield didn't shine much either and as of right now (US camp matches and this one) no one really has a lock on anything.

james

25. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Hey, your wet blanket is leaving a water stain on my screen.

(Not that I disagree with your conclusion all that much but come on, this is a thread to get excited about a player starting to really reach his potential. Allow us a little glow after a win in Europe, will you?)