Clint Mathis Chat

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by dweed, Mar 29, 2005.

1. dweed

dweed New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Logan, UT
    For anyone who's interested, Clint Mathis will be on ESPN Soccernet chat on Friday April 1st at 11am ET (9am MT).

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thanks. I wonder what questions to ask him beside "Do you hate the Rapids?" :)

3. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Did anyone get their questions asked to Clint?

4. rslfan

rslfan Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Sandy, UT
    I don't know if this is legal or not but here is the transcript of the chat:

Ask Soccer Star Clint Mathis!

Welcome to The Show! On Friday, special guest Clint Mathis will join us to take your questions right here in chat.
    Clint Mathis is a forward for the U.S. national team and MLS' Real Salt Lake. He returned to MLS this season following a stint in the German Bundesliga with Hannover 96. Prior to that he was a standout forward for the MetroStars notching 33 goals in four seasons.

Send in your questions to Clint now, then join him right here on Friday at 11 ET!

Buzzmaster: Helloooooooooo! Who wants to talk a little soccer? Clint Mathis does! He'll be here shorty, Keep your questions coming.

Clint Mathis: I am here and ready to go!

----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------
    Steven (Birmingham, AL): Clint, Since you left Hannover, they've only won 1 game, fell from 4th place to 10th place. Is that because you are just the man!!! Whats your thoughts on that.

Clint Mathis: Thanks! It's all about timing over there. They were playing really well and then just had some bad breaks. The chemistry just wasn't there like before. The break hurt Hannover more than it helped them.

----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------
    Johnny (Richland, WA): Real Salt Lake has compiled a team with plenty of veterans including yourself, how well do you think you'll do in your first season as a team?

Clint Mathis: It's always hard to tell but we have the potential to do really well. It's a good mix. We have the talent to go all the way.
    Nicolas Moss, Springville, UT: Can you give us any insight as to whether or not the mohawk will ever return?

Clint Mathis: You never know! I don't even know. It's a spur of the moment type thing. But it's always a possibility.

John Z (Sammamish, WA): Clint, nice to have you back on this side of the soccer world. What's your assessment of the current state of US soccer compared to what you experienced in the Bundesliga? Any thoughts on Landon Donovan's return to MLS?

Clint Mathis: As for Landon, it's great that he's coming back. He was a familiar face here and it's what he wants to it's good to keep a face like his, that American fans can relate to. It's great for the league he's coming back.

As for the league, it is still very strong but will take time to compete with teams overseas. I think the league is cointinuing to progress though.

Bryan (Anderson, IN): What do you think you have to do to get more play time with the National team?

Clint Mathis: It's a matter of what Bruce decides. I need to be more consistent with getting out there and trying to intigrate the running into my game. He is looking for a more run and gun, non-stop fitness type player. Hopefully I can do that more.

keith king of prussia,pa: do you want to go back to europe to give it another try? do you think that other top usa based players are wary of this challange to improve?

Clint Mathis: Definately a possibility. I wanted to come back and play for John Ellinger.

Casey (Columbus, OH): Clint, What do you think about the new teams being added to the MLS? Isn't this watering down the league as far as talent goes??

Clint Mathis: I wouldn't say so. We still have a lot of talent people don't know about. They aren't big names but they are quality playrs. We just need to continue to grow.

Hector (east harlem, nyc, baby): Although you said all the right things about getting a needed "break" and being happy to rejoin your RSL teammates, as a competitor you must have been very disiapointed that you were released by Coach Arena before the world cup qualifiers this week. Are you looking at the new MLS season as an opportunity to play your way back into the national team picture?

Clint Mathis: Yeah, it was definately disappointing. But at the same time, we are all in this together. If it's better for the team, that's fine. I will work hard and hopefully be a part of more of those games.

Orlando, FL: Do you feel you are in your top form right now? If not, how much more do you have to go?

Clint Mathis: I feel great. Hopefully I can play with all my new players and that will come around OK. But yeah, I feel good.

Kali (Sandy, UT): Do you have anything to say to some of the 'haters' in the local media? There seems to be a lot of wariness regarding RSL's long-term success in Utah...

Clint Mathis: I'm not too worried about it. I don't read all that stuff. We just need to prove them wrong. If we can produce some wins and bring a championship, we will have a lot of backing.

Mario (Bako): What international team do you dislike? Who is the slyest, with tricks?

Clint Mathis: That' a tough one. Maybe Mexico just because they are such a tough team. We see them pretty often and they always play us hard.

James(grafton,Wi): what are your expectations for the upcoming season? How does the team look,and how do you like it in Salt Lake so far?

Clint Mathis: The expectations are for a championship. We have enough players and enough experience. I'm enjoying Salt Lake. It's a beautiful city. I expected a boring town but when I got there I realized how great it was and how nice the people are.

Chris (Houston): Clint, How are you liking playing with Jason Kreis? You two might be the craftiest forward combo in MLS this year.

Clint Mathis: I'm very excited about that. I've known Jason for a long time. I'm really looking forward to playing with him. He's such a prolific scorer, I hope to add some goals to his total as well!

Rick (Cupertino, CA): Having palyed in some of the host stadiums and cities there, how do you think Germany will do in hosting the World Cup next year?

Clint Mathis: I think it will be great. It's one of the founding countries. With the renovations they have done. it will be a great World Cup to be at. Very organized.

Paolo (Hartford, CT): Any bad blood between you and the Metrostars?

Clint Mathis: Definately not. I had a great 3.5 years there. I just wanted to try Europe. That's why I left. But no bad blood at all. This game won't be a big deal at all. No rivalry. It's just our first game for a new franchise.

Rock, Londondery NH: How would you compare the MLS with the Bundesliga... fans, facilitys, atmosphere, training etc.,

Clint Mathis: It's tough to compare. Some games would be 65 or 85,000 people. This is only the 10th year for MLS so we still have time to grow. It's like comparing a business that has been around 100 years to one that just started.

Paolo (Hartord, CT): Racism in European football has been in the news a lot lately. Did you see any problems while you were over there?

Clint Mathis: I never experienced that. I saw those black and white wristbands that came out. But I personally never saw anything along those lines. It was news to me when I heard about it.

Hank -Boro,TN: Do you prefer to play forward or midfield. And where will you play for RSL. Thanks for representing the south!

Clint Mathis: Either one. Doesn't matter. Usually depends on the team lineup and the other team. I can play either one.

Mario( Bako): Are you Mormon yet?

Clint Mathis: Nah! I'll stick to my religion.

Jeff (Lambertville, NJ): Are you a worthy fantasy soccer draftee?

Clint Mathis: For sure! Anytime I can be a part of somebody's fantasy team it's a great honor.

JP (philly, PA): clint, why does Bruce Arena choose Josh Wolff over you for some National Team games (i.e. Mexico/Guatemala)...I think you've proven yourself much more on the international level than Wolff has.

Clint Mathis: That's a question for Bruce. We are different players though. He's more of an all out forward and I like to drop back a bit. Maybe Bruce looked at that. But he'd have to answer that.

Anita (Miami, FL): clint, do you and the other US team members ever sit down together and watch footy on espn? stuff like the champions league games? thanks.

Clint Mathis: Every once in awhile. We like to sit down and watch games whenever we can.

keith (king of prussia,pa): big fan of yours. do you support any european sides as a fan? who is the toughest defender you have ever faced?

Clint Mathis: I never was a fan. I just enjoy watching good soccer. I never had a particular team over another. I watched as many games as I could.

Randall (Atlanta, GA): Would you give us your starting 11 for Germany '06?

Clint Mathis: That's too far away! Hopefull I'm part of it!

Tony (Rochester, NY): Do you feel the U.S. Men's National Team is stronger than the one that played so well in the 2002 World Cup?

Clint Mathis: That's a tough question. We were very successful in 2002 obviously with so many veterans. We surprised a lot of people. This team probably has more pressure and expectations but can be just as successful. They are pretty even.

Thanks for the questions! I'm back in the Big Apple and have to run to do some more media stuff but we'll do this again soon. Take care!

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha i love this question:

Mario( Bako): Are you Mormon yet?

Clint Mathis: Nah! I'll stick to my religion.

LMFAO! thats awesome. wonder what moron prejudice douche bag asked that question....mario. im so ********ing sick of the mormon cracks. hell im not even mormon. i dont even live in salt lake anymore. GET OVER IT. mormon jokes were funny the first 10 times i heard them, now after the 1242435234623626267234567347347356845846 time i heard them, its getting mighty old. and im sick and tired of being asked if im mormon every time i tell someone im from slc. i just laugh and point to my mohawk. well thats my rant and rave for the day.

EXCELLENT chat though. cleatus sounds excited for the season. a little disappointed about being released from the usmnt, who wouldnt be though. im sure he will prove himself worthy of getting on that roster for germany 06 though. his heart is in the right place and it appears his mind is also. lets see how his game is now.

AAAAHHHH IM SO EXCITED!!! 1 more day.

6. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I can't blame ya. It gets old.

1 more day! woo-hoo!

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know this is OT, but just out of curiosity where in idaho are you from(if your even from there)? i have a cabin 15 miles from stanley and my grandparents live in poky pocatello.

8. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Why are you mormon?

Just kidding!!! :eek: :D :confused:

9. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *once again.....points to mohawk, and beer in hand this time around*

:D

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* BS never surprises me anymore.

Thanks rslfan for posting this. I don't subscribe to the ESPN website so I couldn't read the archive.

I think Clint has really grown up. Sure most of the answers were cookie cutter ones, but he sounded intelligent to me.

Heres to the boys bringing home a victory from Giants Stadium.
    GO REAL!

11. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    :)

12. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Yes, it is illegal and your going to go to jail in Iraq where you will have your toe nails pulled out :) Big deal who really needs toe nails there a dime a dozen.

13. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    "Hector (east harlem, nyc, baby):"

Small world I am an East Harlem boy myself, but now I am an old man which means I beat the odds still alive as an old man.

You know how you can tell some one from East Harlem we call a street like 107 street a hun 7, hear it called that way you know he is from East Harlem.

14. rslfan

rslfan Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Sandy, UT

Why would I need a dozen? How much for 10? What am I some kind of freak?