Clint- Fulham vs. Chelsea (2/14) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by supercooper, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew he was going to miss.:( Something about the way he stepped up w/ JT in his ear while he was placing the ball.

2. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He heard DC had an open DP slot, and thought this match would be the perfect opportunity to impress?

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. To add insult to injury it was John Terry. Being psyched out by him is extra-annoying and emasculating.

4. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can miss a penalty without being psyched out. That's nice you are giving John Terry all the credit for the miss though.

5. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I wished he had made it....but if it helps him help the USMNT in pressure packed situations, I'm all for the experience. I love Clint, love that he is being rewarded for "trying sh**t". We need more of that...more of that on the team and more of that for young players to emulate.

Go Clint!! Get stronger, get "sh**tier", have fun, make your mark and help us get to the semi's of the next world cup!!!

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, it may have had nothing to do with Terry. Whatever it was, he was not comfortable when he was getting ready to take the kick.

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I've been wondering when is Torres going to dye his hair blond again. I don't think he's played one good match after he decided to go natural.

8. LodiSoccerFan

LodiSoccerFan Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Lodi, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this gousoccer!! My sentiments exactly. Wish he made it, great that he created the PK, sorry he missed it. But just keep doing what you are doing, Clint.

9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously.
    PKs are an issue with Demps. And I don't think this miss is going to make him stronger the next time he has one.
    He's a great player, but I'd rather not see him take pks. That one he scored several weeks ago was basically the same shot, but the keeper went the other way. These things need to hit side netting.

10. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are plenty of great PK takers that don't hit "side netting". That being said, I don't think Clint is a very good PK taker.

11. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. He has never seemed comfortable with PK's going back to his days with the Revs when he stepped away from opportunities. Clint kind of reminds me of Sundance's line in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- "Can I move?" He's great when the play is on, but not so good from a full stop.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is giving JT any credit. The whole set-up looked odd and Clint looked nervous to me.

Good job on his part to get the call. Kid is a baller change that passport to a Euro one and he'd be worth $20 million + in the transfer market this summer.

13. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Experience should be a great teacher. My thinking is stepping up to take it, the fact that the team was OK with him taking it and then dealing (or not dealing effectively) with the pressure and the environment then, will make him better the next time he's in that situation. The one thing that has been true about Clint throughout his career is that he seems to be able to adjust, adapt and excel at whatever level he is thrown into.

14. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    He shoulda gone with the rabona.