Clint Dempsey = Best USMNT Player Ever

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Mar 25, 2017.

1. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    A super-skilled HAT-TRICK at 34-years old after enduring a potential life threatening and career ending irregular heart beat, are you freaking kidding me?

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Pulisic
    2) Dempsey
    3) Landon

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know about best player ever but I do know a lot of people gave up on him prior to the Copa saying he should just hang 'em up. Then the whole heart thing gave them more fuel for the fire.

Now they better be quiet for another couple years. In my mind he should be a starter not only in Russia but until he just can play anymore.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. DempseysMustache

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    I made Clint Dempsey.

5. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Whatever. At least he's a better player than the sad excuse of Michael lazy Bradley

6. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can certainly say that Dempsey played with a lot of heart, as well as had his heart on his sleeve.

*BigSoccer starts throwing tomatoes at Master O.*

7. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Donovan
    1A. Dempsey
    1B. Howard

8. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Donovan's still ahead. It was his team for a decade. Huge part of the best US WC ever. Almost triple the assists of the second place player.

9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think Dempsey's longevity if it continues really pushes him up there. Guess it was always inevitable that Dempsey, living on skill and guile, would last longer than Donovan, who relied so much on his speed and explosiveness. I'll still take a peak form Donovan over Clint, but Clint's ability to do it into his later years isn't to be ignored.

HartwickFan repped this.
  10. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    What's interesting to note, Dempsey only one not to take sabbatical away from team.

11. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    Wasn't he a top 5 player in the epl one season with 17 goals as a midfielder on a below average team?.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dempsey has been the US' all-time best field player for quite a while now. Had the only goal for the team in the disaster that was WC'06. Bronze Ball for CC'09. A goal against England and drawn pk against Ghana, the only two decent sides the US faced in WC '10. 2 goals in WC 14. 3 goals and 3 assists in the Copa! :eek:

The only attacker to produce in every major tourney in which he has played(min of 3)

In these major tournaments, he has played center-forward, support forward, and wide midfield, creating goals from each of those positions.

13. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    I look at an interesting time period, these past 5 months.. Dempsey came back after heart problem to help usa for WC18 and Donovan retired again. Donovan also has allot more penalty kick goals.

14. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #14 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Dempsey has 31 goals in 49 games for usa since 2012. That's around altidore and wynalda amount but they did it in 100+ games and they both are strikers only. Dempsey also has shown up to every tournament he was expected to star in. According to ussoccer.com, some of Donovan most prolific stat games were games against Cuba, Trinidad, el Salvador, etc. It would not surprise me that Dempsey's influence against top teams has been more consistent.

Btw, Dempsey has 16 goals in his last 21 USMNT games as a 32-34 year old. That's outrageous. And I always had Donovan #1, but Dempsey has played out of his mind in USMNT's worst period since the 1980's.

15. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    1) Non-pk goals/ non-pk goals per game:
    Dempsey 49. / (.37)
    Donovan 42 / (.27)

2) Total non-pk goals & assists vs non-concacaf opponents/ per game%:

Donovan: 28 (15 G+ 13A) in 60 games/ (47%)
    Dempsey: 27 (21 G+ 6A) in 58 games / (47%)

These guys are dead even from the run of play outside the concacaf comfort zone. Dempsey has two games left vs non-concacaf to register a point and either tie or over-take Donovan %-wise.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Michael Bradley never left Roma. What we have is a poor imitation.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^THIS

SOCCERMARINE repped this.
  18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yep.

Dempsey's definitely our best goal scorer ever, but what set Donovan apart was his ability to dictate the game and elevate the play of his teammates in a way that Dempsey never really could.

This is all in a sense moot, however, as barring injury, Pulisic will fairly soon eclipse them all. Where Donovan and Howard (and Friedel, though he didn't contribute to us for very long) stood on the threshold of "World Class quality," and Dempsey didn't quite but nonetheless fought himself to similar stature, Pulisic already has "it," and is already in the position in his career to exploit it.

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about prisoners of the moment

TroyandAbed and Marko72 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A key thing we forget is the effects all those trans-Atlantic flights had on our Euro based stars. Since we had definitely more matches (especially friendlies at home or in CONCACAF than in Europe), it surely affected Dempsey in some ways.

Not to mention Donovan got loads of scoring chances in the winter camp against weakened CONCACAF or B squad Euro nations.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    great comeback for him!!!

it's sad to think WC18 will be his last one ever. I doubt we'll see a 39 year old Dempsey in 2022.
    well at least he'll go out of the NT becoming the all time top scorer.

22. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    upload_2017-3-26_22-4-23.png

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #23 IndividualEleven, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    LD's major tournament numbers don't match Dempsey's.

Also, Dempsey has been on some successful teams. Revolution made MLS Cup. Fulham made the Europa League finals. Spurs had their highest ever point total up to that time. The NT made CC finals and the Copa Semis. He has driven successful performances.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Donovan got it done in some Gold Cups and he did play out of his mind in 2002/2010 but Dempsey has seemingly has an outstanding performance at every tournament.

I firmly feel DEMPSEY is the face of the modern US footballer.

With younger guys like Wood and Pulisic, this feels great.