Clavijo resigns

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by todspurs, Aug 20, 2008.

1. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland
    So now who do you suppose is calling all the shots? Is Kroenke playing his own game of in-house Billionaire chess?

2. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    Will be interesting to see who is on the bench next to Smith in this weekend's game. That will tell us alot.

3. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto.

4. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm glad it finally happened! It only took about 14 months! That was a super long time for "time to be up."

5. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    na na na na

na na na na

HEEEEEEEEY

GOOD BYEEEEE!!!

hope to see you coaching FSL soon... if not best wishes to you and your family!

6. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree ...... all good things for both FC and Gary going forward !

7. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Last night on From The Pitch, Celo called in from Bejing. Brian asked him about the emergency and Celo implied that Clavijo was there for his brother. So unless he's lying to Celo or Celo is in on the lie (neither of which I believe), it's probably true.

So I, too, wish Clavijo and his family well.

...and here's to (hopefully) turning the Rapids (team AND FO) around! Certainly a step in the right direction!

G'Day...Ron :D

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Chelo say he called from China? Last I saw he was in NYC calling the games.

9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm more excited about this simply because it means the rest of my season tickets won't sit idly in my desk drawer.

Come on, I'm not the only one who was considering it:)

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What season tickets? I'm excited about this move because now I'll actually consider buying season tickets next season.

11. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    I guess I assumed he called from China. I was only half-listening, but I thought the banter was about China. Though Celo did say he was going to a play, which I thought was odd.

I told Marcus that I'd buy season tickets as soon as Clavijo left... and he called me on it! So now I have season tickets for my kids and I for the last four games. See y'all there!

G'Day...Ron :D

12. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Text messaging.

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was considering it but added to the fact that I think I have other plans on almost every other game day remaining, aside from RSL at the end of the regular season.

14. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I came very close to taking the refund route on my season ticket deposit last year. But I decided to continue my tickets.

I'm a soccer fan. While losing can be incredibly frustrating, my primary reason I hold season tickets is because I accept the value proposition. The value for me includes watching my favorite, by far, team sport at an acceptable per game price. Adding to the value are the extra tickets and the other benefits (parking, season ticket holder events, etc).

When the teams wins, it's just icing on the cake. Yeah, watching a sorry performance is frustrating, but most of that goes away on the drive home and evaporates shortly thereafter. I'm quickly looking forward to the next game. Perhaps it's early onset of Alzheimer's :D

15. morerapidsplease

Apr 8, 2008
    Denver
    That is exactly my take. It's cheap, great stadium, I love the sport. Losing blows, but I had a great time with friends and family.

be great to win though.

16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm gonna buy tickets again, I didn't even consider this last home stand becasue I felt we were going nowhere.

17. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least I'm not the only one. ;)

19. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Raider6135

Raider6135 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Centennial, CO
    This is truely the best news we've ever received.I don't care about how nice a guy FC is personally. I didn't buy season tickets to become his friend. He is a crappy, horrible coach and I am relieved to see him go. The only thing better would have been for him to be fired 2 years ago. We have some really good players, although I'm still trying to figure out why we traded Beckerman for Ballouchy. I, like a lot of other people, was not going to renew my season tickets if Clavijo was still the coach at the end of the season. :rolleyes:

21. elchupon

elchupon New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Interesting thread this....
    At first, one might confuse the initial response to Clavijo's resignation found herein to stem from a group of fan's whose passion for the game of futbol and "hooligan" like following as stemming from the roots of the game itself. For this one reason I am tempted to investigate the Rapids further.
    While I wouldn't dare to question your passion nor commitment to the Rapids, I would venture to say you all may have misplaced your distain for the Rapids results on the most obvious culprit, or Clavijo himself. Coaches in all respects hang them out for public scrutiny day after day, week after week. They are the easy target. Might I suggest a more comprehensive evaluation of the Rapids situation before investing in season tickets and reaping dividends?
    Professional sports teams are no democracy, they are a dictatorship. When those in power (Owners and managers) demand results, they often get them. Those that accept mediocrity are rarely disappointed. Why should I believe that the Rapids problems are gone, or better yet, believe Clavijo WAS the problem?
    Am I to believe that a 15 year veteran and Hall of Fame player for the US National team lacked the soccer savvy to get the job done and that this Gary Smith will bring me a step closer to the EPL? Not sure about that. More likely than not, Clavijo was just another un assuming soccer "guy" thrust through the MLS (and more likely Kroenke) disposal. Not being familiar with the MLS, let's start with Kroenke...
    2 words - Nug-gets - I venture to guess there would be many Nuggets fans sharing the same enthusiasm as found in this thread if Mr. Karl were shown the door. Instead, we find ourselves free of one of the few stand up "thuggets". Didn't the Av's just undergo a coaching change...after how many mediocre seasons?
    Back to soccer...so we find ourselves with a new "english" coach and an ex-assistant a stones throw away. You have a GM in Charlie Wright and a Managing Director in Jeff Plush. Who in that crowd is going to step up and make the difference and demand excellence? Do any of them even have that in their job description or even better deeply inside them? Who is responsible for the overall success and by that I mean WINNING! (I've left Stan Kroenke off that list because I'm not sure he knows he owns a soccer team.)
    The harsh reality suggests that all your passion and "hooliganism" would be better spent waiting for a real winner to purchase or take the helm of the Rapids FO...or better, find a new allegiance to an EPL powerhouse. While I wish both Mr. Clavijo and Mr. Smith (if Angelina Jolie shows up I won't care about results) well, I do not believe either of them are given enough control or power to influence the outcome of the team for better or worse and suggest you all consider the same.
    I for one feel it is a shame to have seen such a great name in soccer pass through our own back yard and never be given the opportunity to be great. He is possibly the only person with such a rich soccer pedigree that will ever pass through Colorado and in many ways we showed him the worst.
    Mr. Clavijo, thanks for trying, I believe you did all you could do and may the soccer gods land you a job somewhere they will allow you to succeed.
    Mr. Smith....God's Speed
    Your problem Rapids fans lies in the suits…

22. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am as happy as the rest of many of you regarding the change...but that little voice in the back of my head keeps whispering.

"Be careful what you wish for...you just may get it"

Clavijo was only part of the problem. Now let's see how the players respond.

23. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    That is such BS, they can't even admit that it's because he did a poor job. Instead they have to use the family thing as an excuse. Either that or Clavijo saw the writing on the wall and said ******** it.

24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting first post. Welcome, Sock.

25. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland

Blah blah blah blah blah bloo bloo, rant idea blah blah....
    Don't be trying to rain on my parade!

Who are ya?:rolleyes:

Must be Clavijo on a computer at Starbucks...