Clampdown on CK misconduct

Discussion in 'Referee' started by DerbyRam54, Sep 7, 2007.

1. DerbyRam54

DerbyRam54 Member

Apr 26, 2005
  2. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Woohoo, UEFA have followed England's approach on injured players. Makes it a lot easier for the English clubs to now have one rule. :cool:

3. Tarheel Ref

Tarheel Ref New Member

May 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    OK I've got a good one for CK misconduct.

Middle school boys playoff game...two man system. Home team has one player about six feet tall and REALLY good. Visiting team puts a "shadow" on him who clearly doesn't understand the point and spends the first two or three minutes of the game pretty much just getting in his way. I see this and am just waiting for a good opportunity to call him for obstruction and instruct him to back off.

Home team gets a corner kick and I'm on the far side of the field but still watching this situation as I fully expect to call obstruction from twenty-five or thirty yards away. As the corner kick is played, the REALLY good home team attacking player swings and punches his shadow in the jaw...timed so that everybody else's eyes are on the ball. Red card and goodbye to the best player for the home team. I hear they lost the next round match that he sat out for his suspension.

I know not to get caught ball-watching but my ref partner was and didn't see the punch thrown, I had to explain the deal to him at half-time. This reinforced to me the importance of watching the crowd not the ball during all similar situations.

By the way his coach brought him to me to apologize (Catholic school) for his "accidental" actions...I refused to accept his apology and told the coach and his player that he had either learned somewhere or been taught to time his SFP for that time when most people are looking elsewhere...no way it was accidental.

4. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Ha! 5 bucks says that one doesn't hold up in confession.

I still don't understand the point of the UEFA directive. We should already be watching the crowd on corners to look for fouls and misconduct, and if there is misconduct we should be punishing it accordingly. What I read from this is that UEFA doesn't think referees are calling enough fouls on corner kicks. Maybe I'm missing the point entirely, but it seems to me that they're pulling at straws just so they can say, "look at us, we're important".

5. Tarheel Ref

Tarheel Ref New Member

May 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If you too are Catholic, gambling needs to be confessed as well...doesn't it?