CL Semi-final (2nd leg): Roma vs Liverpool (May 2nd, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Go to Shahktar. Get thrashed (in the 2nd half). Progress.

Go to Barcelona. Get thrashed. Progress.

Go to Anfield. Get thrashed. Progress.

If Roma turn this around and make the CL final it will be magnificent, miraculous and hilarious all rolled in to one. Strong feelings of deja vu here. It's pre-Barcelona 2nd leg all over again. Although, with 2 away goals, we're actually in a slightly less disadvantaged position this time around.

Going into the Barcelona game I was confident we could score at least 2 or 3 goals on them, but I struggled to see us keeping them out at the other end. I feel exactly the same way about this game.

Go 1-0 up early doors though and we could be in for an interesting night............

chaponga repped this.
  2. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the unthinkable were to happen again we would take the title of worlds biggest troll team. And I venture to say we would hold that title for a very long time.

3. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What’s the formation best for this we need to attack all out again for 90 mins
    Maybe the 352 again but wingers and centre backs don’t play so high up the field

4. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attack with numbers through the center, the formation doesn't matter. Keep the FBs closer to the CBs. Only one FB should venture forward at a time and with extreme caution, to supply an outlet to the congested middle.

If Liverpool kill us again, make them do it through the center, where they struggle. DO NOT allow them to simply long ball into miles of space again.

La Magica, whill4, wm72 and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I really hope Edf has learned and has a couple of aces up his sleeve

6. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Strootman and Perotti are out. With them we might have had 3% chance, but now its impossible. Lorenzo light weight Pellegrini is gonna get eaten alive.

7. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I think Perotti being out is the bigger blow to our chances.

Agree that Pellegrini was out of his element against Barca but he does some add some speed to midfield and that was a big issue.

The spacing between our midfield and backline was absurd and much of the danger wasn't so much that Liverpool got in behind on the long balls but beat our CBs to control them and immediately had their midfield runners and opposite side winger 10 meters ahead of our mids coming on in support.

If Pellegrini can not lose the ball in dangerous areas against their press -- certainly a big if -- his recover speed may help against their counters since we're certainly going have to push for goals.

Just losing 2 potential quality subs in Pellegrini and which ever one of El Sha or Schick now starts really sucks.

8. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fuk it bois lets go

chaponga repped this.
  9. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would actually go 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4 then:

Dzeko
    SES - Schick - Under
    DDR - Ninja
    Kolarov - Manolas - Fazio - Florenzi

#YOLO

10. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm expecting a good performance and a win. We will see where the scoreline ends up.

Oban14, ErPupone, Shen-O and 2 others repped this.
  11. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I think it will be counter productive, if EDF doesn't trust Pellegrini then he might start Gonalons next to DDR, I don't see another move he can make.

12. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We can let Florenzi re-join our midfield once more and put Peres at the right, but this would probably mean giving up attacking through our right, considering what a bummer most of Peres' forward moves are usually.

13. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Peres-Fazio-Manolas-Kola
    Flo-DDR/Gonalons-Ninja-SES
    Schick-Dzeko

Could be an option.

ErPupone repped this.
  14. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    on this night we need to play harder that we played against Barca.
    play like psychos,
    play like Rabid wolves,
    play like they just snorted a shit ton of coke

Moebek repped this.
  15. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I would be a little wary of the gung-ho approach from the start that's for sure. If we leave space in behind in wide areas again then they will look to exploit that every chance they get. No doubt with no shortage of success because of their pace up front. The tie could be over early doors and we don't want that.

It seems as if Liverpool might not be the strongest in the final 10-15 mins in games. Therefore if we can get to this stage of the game 1-0 up we might have a great chance to progress. As long as we keep them scoreless we'll be in this tie and that is probably the key.

Seems counterintuitive sure, but perhaps the bulk of our focus should be on keeping them out in the first 60-70 mins and hoping to convert one of our chances. After that and against a tiring Liverpool we can begin to throw the kitchen sink at them in search of a couple more goals.

16. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain

17. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I believe in Miracles... but will be fine if I don't see one.... Roma 3-0 .... again.... bang bang bang

Shen-O repped this.
  18. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    So we are gonna be playing Real then.

19. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I believe

Shen-O and chaponga repped this.
  20. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Offer me 1-0 or 2-1 up with 20 mins left on the clock right now and I think I'd bite your hand off. Watching them fall back and trying to hold out in this situation could be fun. If we're in with a realistic chance with 15/20 mins to go it means we've played/are playing well (and probably had a little luck too).

shiboboo repped this.
  21. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice thing is Liverpool will not sit back. I fully expect them to come at us with just as much intensity as the last game, so hopefully that gives EDF another chance to get it right.

shiboboo repped this.
  22. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Little to no chance; but they gave us a glimmer of hope, they will have a little bit of doubt even if it is very small. A good performance and something for our home fans to shout about will do.

chaponga repped this.
  23. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    What are the bookies odds on Roma going through tomorrow?

24. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    They're giving us about 10% chance of progressing.

On another note - Barca has never been eliminated after winning with 3 goals advantage in the first match. Liverpool have had about 87% success rate in progressing after winning with 5:2 in the first match in the past. Or at least I remember the local commentators saying something of the sort.

It's just numbers though. All we could say for certain is that one team goes to the final and one team doesn't.

25. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I'll set my hopes up accordingly [emoji1303]

Klopp was talking smack today, not worried about the match at all, and saying that they will punish us if we leave space behind.