CL Round of 16 (1st Leg): Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma (February 21st, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, but Ninja just looks like a 30 year old guy who smokes. He doesn't have the explosiveness and veracity that he had last season. He was like a bull. Now he is barely noticeable.

wm72, shiboboo, Salmeen10 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    wm72, shiboboo, La Magica and 2 others repped this.
  3. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    None of these are hot takes

4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I've long since realised people dont have a notion what they're seeing round here. Stroot gets bashed but few words about Radja. Stroot put in a solid shift out there. Radja was non existent and as you correctly point out it was his f**k up that lead to the freekick they scored.

Another example: dramatics about Peres possibly starting, but not a word about just how awful Florenzi has been lately, and again tonight.

Midfield General repped this.
  5. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Haha what can be said? Bruno, of all people, saved our chances in this tie by lifting his foot while sitting on his ass...

If that's not Roma , I don't know what is.

We're still in this somehow. It's important for EDF to convey this message to our players and to the media/fans. Now isn't the time to feel sorry for ourselves, we have stretch of important games that we need to remain focused for.

Also, anyone who doesn't think this prime-core needs to be phased out, is fooling themselves.

shiboboo, Oban14 and Salmeen10 repped this.
  6. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    I've been saying it for a while, we should sell him before his value falls off a cliff.

7. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    So, I was wrong to be bitching about Peres potentially starting. There, I admit it. Saying Peres is bad doesn't mean I think Florenzi has been good, though. They're both not doing a good job at RB, with Peres probably the worse between the two. That being said, I hope this miracle save somehow manages to instill some confidence in him. Roma may just need his services in the coming weeks.

We got burned by Karsdorp's injury, big time.

8. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Both become the worst player on the pitch when playing, but one of them is being treated like Iturbe and the other is asking for 4M.

Karsdrop can't come back soon enough.

ErPupone, wm72, shiboboo and 3 others repped this.
  9. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    It probably already did, last summer was the time for it. I've said that before, I think Monchi's strategic mistake last summer was not replacing more starters, the pressure of 87 points stopped him from doing it.

wm72 repped this.
  10. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But don't you think Flo would make a difference in midfield. I don't begrudge him asking for money.

Based on what I saw today we need to be planning a complete midfield over haul over the next 3 transfer windows, plus some magic anti ACL dust for new transfers.

11. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't know if those reports are true, but Florenzi definitely hasn't merited that kind of salary with his performances. Although, to be fair to him, he was unusually bad today. Obviously wasn't at 100%. EDF just didn't trust Peres enough to start him and risked it with Flo. It didn't pay off.

12. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    EDF had us sit back after half time to protect our advantage and that let them back in the game. You can't be negative at this level, you need to put them away as soon as you have a sniff, then bury them after that.

13. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    EDF just took out the worst 2 players on the pitch, and played Gerson for more balance on the right. I don't think I can blame him for anything.

I think Defrel played the Ninja role and not as a striker, but it didn't matter anyway since it was so late.

14. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Eh, I don't think that's entirely fair. Can you imagine if he sold Ninja after just getting the job , and after Nainggolan's season?

We can still get good money this summer. The key for Monchi is methodically phasing out this core, whilst saving money and getting younger. He couldn't just come in and blow it up. There's a delicate balance that needs to be struck.

15. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I hope if Perotti starts the 2nd leg he doesnt decide he'd like to get his revenge on Taison.

16. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Agreed , this isn't on EDF at all. We need different/better players.

The first half was a good performance, that shouldn't be forgotten.

17. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Out of all the positions he played, he was worst in CM. He is way too lightweighted to play there, which is why he was pushed to the flanks in the first place.

His best position is right winger in flat 4-4-2, and we almost never play that. He will always be awkward to fit in 4-3-3.

wm72 and shiboboo repped this.
  18. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I have seem him play well at CMF and right wing. I am not suggesting he be a starter there so you can argue the 4 mil is over the top but he would be a better starter against lower ranked teams than the other back ups we have now.

19. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the Gerson for Ünder swap. Fresh legs while we hold on for dear life.

But a straight swap Ninja for Defrel was really dumb. Our midfield was getting killed, and that move guaranteed 10 more minutes of carnage. They had all day on the ball and kept picking off our dumb fullbacks.

20. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Ultimately, I think Florenzi's best role is as a utility guy , capable of playing multiple positions and providing energy.

Maybe he can prove me wrong and he can find a place in the midfield/attacking roles , but I doubt it.

What I'm certain of is, he isn't a RB. His intelligence/instincts aren't good enough. Maybe he's best as a WB in a 3 man back-line , I dunno.

If he is really demanding that much money, Monchi and co. have to think very carefully about it. Roma aren't in a position to pay 4 million for a utility guy.

21. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Shaktar just have better players.

We achieved our objective by reaching the last 16 so there shouldn't be any drama when we are eliminated after the second leg.

22. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Bernard is a free agent this summer. Get that guy.

shiboboo repped this.
  23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People complaining about Florenzi and Peres at RB have completely unrealistic expectations for the modern day FB Roma can afford. They are now placing all of their hopes in this miracle RB in a 23 year old converted attacking MF from a league that thinks defending is spelled "attack" that has missed an entire year due to knee injuries.

Just like everyone here I haven't seen Karsdorp play but I do know all of you complaining about Florenzi and Peres are going to be complaining about Karsdorp in 2 years. Everyone said Peres was going to be our savior now it's Karsdorp turn.

The problem is in today's game the FB depend so much on their DM for cover or they play on teams that posses the ball enough their defensive weakness are not exposed too often. Yes Florenzi and Peres have issues but then again nearly every player on the team has played terrible and I'm fairly confident most of you will be unhappy with Karsdorp too.

I can't believe I'm actually defending Peres.

JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  24. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I usually don't talk about referees, but tonight the officials were really poor.

25. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Thanks for that contribution.

Hustle and Flow repped this.