CL R16 BVB vs. Tottenham Hotspurs

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by bvbSlash, Mar 5, 2019.

1. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We will likely get to see Götze, Paco and Reus at the same time. About damn time. I hope Matthias Sammer gives a rousing speech followed by threats of ass kicking should we not get to the quarterfinals.

I really want us to play in the 1/4.

2. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It’s time to bring back the Malaga memory...let’s go Dortmund!!

3. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Bürki
    Wolf, Akanji, Weigl, Diallo
    Witsel, Guerreiro, Sancho, Reus, Götze
    Alcácer

So we're doing punitive action now against players who make mistakes? Hakimi replaced by Wolf and DAZ replaced by Weigl... I'm not convinced.

4. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    At least the lineup is more attack minded and I like that. I'm guessing the full backs won't venture up too much and will leave the attacking to the midfielders.
    Two #10's in Reus and Gotze behind Alcacer. I like this but it's the first time it's employed. Hope they all click.

5. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We have a CB playing at LB, a LB playing as LAM, a winger playing as RB, a CM playing as CB.

Lucien Favre is throwing his best players out there to turn around a massive deficit. Nice. I guess it's better than any other alternative.

6. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    All of a sudden he's being adventurous.. *too* adventurous!

7. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    His seasons over. He's lost the league and now he's hoping to somehow get to the next round.

8. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This lineup can be tweaked and put the players in the right position

--Wolf---Akanji--Diallo--Guererro
    ------------Weigl---Witsel
    --Sancho----Gotze---Reus
    ----------------Alcacer

hava repped this.
  9. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I missed the first 30 minutes. We have the chances but not the luck so far. With more luck (and a worse goalkeeper for Tottenham), we could have been close to equalizing the result in just the last minutes. Nothing on the scoreboard so far and it will be a question how long the team can keep it up.

10. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Wolf is playing not bad.. except for letting Son through and what should have been a penalty, right after.

Why aren't we playing with this formation against every team placed below 3rd in the BL??

hava repped this.
  11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    An embarrassing result, which will do lots of damage to the club.

It really shows where we are. An average team with an average manager on the world stage.

It also reveals exactly where the Bundesliga is.

I expect Sancho to push for a move in the summer.

Is Dahoud injured? Wolf was terrible, but LP was injured and Hakimi on poor form.

Witsel is not good enough for a top team. It was so frustrating seeing him pass the ball really slowly time and time again.

The midfield is woeful against top teams without Dahoud.

Now focus on the league, but we will probably need to beat Bayern away and that seems unlikely.

Credit to Gotze, Reus and Weigl. They showed up.

12. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I don't think we should be too dramatic about today's result. The tie was lost in London. We used a more attacking formation and it created many chances against a tough opponent that was defending with 5 in the back. That's a success, and a lesson I hope Favre will learn: that we can attack with the right personnel and formation. That was all in the first half.

Second half, I don't expect much contribution from JBL in offense, as a replacement for Guerreiro. I guess he went all in, but none of the players introduced is able to pick a tricky pass to unlock the defense. In the end, it was good to give Reus a break.

Going forward, I think we should be more daring like we were in the first half today, with the likes of Hakimi and DAZ back.

- Please don't play JBL when you need to score
    - Please don't play Gotze any other position than 10
    - Please start with Paco as striker

Finally: my suggestion is to play Hakimi on the left, with Guerreiro in front of him. Wolf is not too bad with defensive duties as RB.

13. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Yes, a few showed up (I agree with those mentioned), some weren't ready for prime time yet and some might never be ready for it. He annoyed me at first because he's too hectic but Bruun Larsen had a few nice scenes at least and should have gotten an assist after he finally showed some composure. He shouldn't start over Guerreiro but he shows some promise from time to time.

I don't know why Delaney after 10 minutes looked as if he had been running for 80 minutes already. But it was over by then so whatever. Maybe the game shows that the 4-1-4-1 is a worth a try against certain teams. Although I cannot be content with Witsel, overall I think he did it better than when a young Weigl was put into that role. Either way, wherever you put him, I hope we don't lose Weigl as his type is needed. He can still grow and win back his position in midfield.

astrophyz repped this.
  14. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Agreed except for the Witsel criticism. Witsel isn't supposed to create. His job is to break attacks and to circulate the ball. And I think he does both well.

15. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Witsel needs to pass the ball quicker. He kills the team with his slow passing. Whenever there is an opening he just slows it down and the defenders get into position.

Dahoud has many faults, but the win against Bayern and Atletico, were in part down to him. In fact Kovac even said Dahoud coming on helped change the game. He passes the ball quickly between the lines and can carry it through the gap. It's not even that Dahoud is world class or anywhere near it, he just fulfils a function.

Weigl and Dahoud is the way forward for me, but now let's try everything possible to win the league.

16. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I agree.. but you have to have BOTH a Dahoud type and a Witsel type.. I think right now, we could have Dahoud alongside either Witsel or Delaney. I think we should have one of these 2, not both.

Weigl even in his best season wasn't a Dahoud type and isn't the tough DM required in this formation. He was amazing in another DM role, kind of similar to Busquets, where he is available as a support to others all the time and circulates the ball.

If Weigl can match Witsel's defensive work I'm all for him taking his place. I'm a big fan of his and of Dahoud, but currently Witsel breaks up opponent attacks better. It's not his job to create.

17. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Witsel needs to add more in attack, but he also had some world class performances earlier in the year, so I'm not ready to give up on him. (Plus I just got his jersey) He shouldn't start next to Delaney though, and when paired with either Dahoud/Weigl there needs to be more clarity around who bears more responsibility for advancing the ball forward. The front 4 shouldn't comprise the entirety of the offense - too predictable.

Anyway Favre really could use more flexibility in both personnel and tactical layout. Going with the same 4-2-3-1 every match boxes in your options and he has wasted some of the available options on the roster.

astrophyz repped this.
  18. thisisthelife

thisisthelife Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    The problem with Witsel is not that he isn't good, but the fact that he should be paired with Dahoud. Axel is great in defense, average in offense, but he has gotten himself some goals and made good good games throughout the season. Plus I think he is fatigued as he barely gets any rest from Favre. Other than that = Gotze and Weigl showed up and we shouldn't lose them.

kbvb repped this.
  19. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is a crime to not play Dahoud when we need someone like him. He is not perfect but he is better than fielding JBL, Pulisic and Wolf. We are going to lose him and Weigl and the fücking board will hand Watzke a raise in his last few years so he can lean back and find an even more incompetent replacement for himself.

This is absolutely infuriating. Since 2013, this club has done nothing but regressed.

20. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dortmund gave this tie away. Disappointing given the open nature of this years competition, a wasted opportunity.

21. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Watching the matches today and I yesterday is even more disappointing. To not even score a goal. Even Schalke did more than we did. Out of all the last 16 teams we got the worst beating.

22. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The team is in a funk since the winter break. They need to go to an intensive training camp somewhere for a few days and get their heads straight. It was necessary to have some mental intervention a few games ago. Other than Piszczek no one else is injured so there is no reason to be in such poor form that we cannot score at home.

23. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Ajax and MU did what we could not... This season is turning so sour.

24. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    watching tott today.. i swear I cant stand the fact those fools got us. But they got City too, so clearly we arent the only team that underestimated them. But they are not just not that good of a side.