CL MD4: BVB Dortmund vs. Apoel Nicosia

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by MtnGardener, Nov 1, 2017.

1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Lol...oh, you meant on the Playstation.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  2. Majki 2111

Majki 2111 Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Zagreb,Croatia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Bosz isn't to blame, we create chances to score, to have a clean shoot but we make opponents pack themselves in their 3rd. And our players lack either pass or dribble or decision in key moment, either bad shot trough ball... And with this high line we should expect to concede a goal or more per match.

I really don't know. I hope we bring back momentum and luck comes back.

3. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The right man . Can't think of anyone Available at the moment .
    Caretaker appointment until the end of the season maybe .
    Aki dug this hole , will be interesting what he dies if we lose to Bayern .

4. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Team has absolutely no identity. No attacking flow to the game, no intelligent movement off the ball, no confidence in build-up. At this point, we are relying on individual player brilliance to make something out of nothing. Out of the 500+ passes we have during a game, 300+ as backward passes.

Liquid1010, MtnGardener and Quigs repped this.
  5. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I think that is not true. This wasn't as toothless as some of them, nor as terrible on defense. Aubameyang had enough service today that he should be expected to score one. There was a clear hand ball in the box. That should be a PK. And then the little goals that are going against where the play is broken but the ball falls and you put it away... those didn't fall.

I have given up on PB but today wasn't his worst by far. If I was confident that getting thrashed by Bayern would be the end of PB and I was confident that his replacement would be an upgrade then maybe I'd root for that. But that is too many ifs. So instead I'll root for them to win, to find themselves, to get the Auba to finish, to get Gotze's partial block to go in at the post, to get Schmelzer's curling shot into the corner, to get CP's hand shot into a PK. You need skill, you need luck (or at least not bad luck), and you need the ref. If you have none then you are sunk. Lately, in addition to a coach who hasn't found a solution, there have been none of those.

hava repped this.
  6. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    This is exactly what I see. It was so clear when Kagawa and Guerreiro found it for a second on that goal, you saw i contrast how little there was otherwise.

7. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    They should have sold Auba last season while he had high tag...now...I am not sure who wants to buy him...

8. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This is not down to Auba , Bosz wasting him . High one just doesn't suit . He always needed a couple of chances but at moment they're few and far between

9. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    An intelligent coach will turn this team into a CL contender. The attacking midfield and striker positions are deep in this squad. The central midfield starters and FBs are also exceptionally good.

kbvb repped this.
  10. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bosz needs to go, and Watzke needs to pack his bags alongside him.

We are out of the CL and will likely be out of the Pokal shortly. By Christmas we could also very well be out of the League race. Well done Watzke.

MatthausSammer and bvbSlash repped this.
  11. lamcam

lamcam Member

May 19, 2004
    California
    He's been wasting so many chances...

12. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think for parts of the first half, we almost looked like our old self. There weren some nice combinations and good runs against a helpless opponent. The way both goals affected the team's confidence was visible.
    Especially after the 1:1, it felt like we missed someone like Dahoud (and I know he had his problems, as well). I don't know what his issues are because he wasn't even on the bench the last two games. Weigl did what he could. I can only repeat myself, even if he doesn't do everything right, I just cannot understand to leave someone like him on the bench.

I prefer continuity on the coaching position but the question will be whether this team can learn to fully implement Bosz' system before it's too late because he seems to be unable to adapt his system/ideas to the players. The increasing criticism has no effect. Full speed ahead on the Titanic until the ship learns to be an icebreaker?

13. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Today, more so than last couple of games, it has become apparent just how much of a catalyst Guerreiro is to this team. When he plays then he is confident in his offensive abilities and consistently looks to attack, be it short one-two's with a teammate or dribbling past opponents which has been a breath of fresh air. This needs to be a focus going forwards as he gains fitness because we will need him now more than ever. Guerreiro and Pulisic have been the best players for us but, sadly, only because they had use their individual skill to make things happen as there was no structure to our team game even against a team of APOEL's quality.

MtnGardener repped this.
  14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    If Dortmund lose to Bayern by 3 goals or more, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bosz get sacked.

15. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any defeat to Bayern should result in Bosz getting fired. What is the point of retaining him if realistic hopes of a trophy are already gone in November?

bvbSlash and Liquid1010 repped this.
  16. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I look at City and Dortmund and see a very similar squad profile, especially in the way Bosz attempts to play and fails. He has a similar control system but the tactical nous of Pep is nowhere to be found. I have done this analysis before on here (and elsewhere) so let's continue.

[​IMG]

This is an anomaly of a passmap from City this season. Delph, who is usually infield to support the midfield that Silva and De Bruyne vacatte is kept outfield with Gundogan's inclusion. The reason? Sarri's counter to Pep's tactics in the previous game.

[​IMG]

Sarri saw Pep using fullbacks to tuck inside and overwhelm the midfield and countered with the same but Pep flipped the script and had Delph stay out wide, always providing an outlet for under-pressure CBs. The link between Delph and Otamendi is the strongest for City. Absolutely crucial tactical change that completely undid all of Sarri's preparation during the week.

Dortmund's squad has the ability to play exactly the same as City. You have a ball-playing CB arguably better than Stones in Bartra, Sokratis is better than Otamendi in nearly every facet. Guerreiro can tuck in and protect the midfield + offer extra creativity (something Delph can't do but Mendy might) or stay out wide and provide and outlet in tighter games.

The double 10's- Gotze and Kagawa - while not as good as Silva and De Bruyne, given more freedom and cover to slip into vacant half-spaces, should still be a nightmare for oppositions to mark. Weigl is a lot better than Fernandinho. Pulisic can dribble, finish, create like Sterling on the right. Auba is very good at finding space in the box.

Dortmund have the make-up of an elite tactical side, but is completely incompetent at all but the basic shape of the team.

[​IMG]

MatthausSammer repped this.
  17. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Those shapes don't look anything like each other. But whatever.

PB says Bayern are coming at the right time. Previously everybody expected a lot from him/team. Now those same folks will expect less.

Bosz nach der Nikosia-Blamage: „Vielleicht kommt das Spiel genau im richtigen Moment. Am Anfang haben alle sehr viel erwartet. Vielleicht erwarten die Menschen am Samstag weniger.“

Unbelievable that a BVB coach would even say something like that.

Liquid1010 repped this.
  18. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow...in the past the most they would day is “Bayern are the favorites” placing the pressure on us...what is this?

19. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is exactly my point. And even for those comments, we want Watzke to shove his cigar up his ass and gtfo of the club. But PB actually said we all expect too much. How can winning the BL be too much when we had a 5 point lead on Bayern??!

20. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It doesn’t take much to make a good account of yourselves against us. I wouldn’t say we are the most stable team in the BL right now.

21. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's probably how Watzke sees it. Playing Bayern will ensure there are no pressure and expectations.

22. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And that's exactly why we want that guy out. Lacks ambition. Makes poor decisions and from the latest round of evidence cannot man-manage.