CL Matchday 1: Real Madrid vs Roma (September 19th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Olsen saved us from a 6-0 drubbing, or worse. To criticise his distrubition tonight or lack thereof is nonsense.

Where is Manolas?

Fazio/Flo, decent games. Mixed bag Kolarov. DDR solid but shame about the f**k up. Professional foul not required there sir. You do a lot but cant do it all. The CB had that covered. Nzonzi aint no box to box, or whatever the hell his role was tonight. Zaniolo, all things considered, good performance.

El Sha, terrible. I blame him for the 2nd goal. Always look at the origin. Under good game. Plenty of endeavour. So much improving to do though. Not seeing the picture. Will he ever and what's with those touches that go 10-15 yds away from him?

Dzeko, meh. Been meh all season.

We were pummelled tonight.

I'm gonna throw in a nugget of optimism though. This team can play. But where is the fight in them?

Where is the fight? Will we find it. I'm gonna say yes.

TifosoRoma repped this.
  2. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    If you watched that game and seriously are not worried I don't know what to tell you. We should have lost that game 8-0. The players looked uninterested, lost, and completely amateurish.

LordNelson repped this.
  3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I think this performance was no better than the 6-1 against Barca, we were sitting ducks for Madrid to attack from every direction. We were saved by extremely poor finishing by the opponents, they could have easily scored 6 on another night.

I was expecting a bigger loss, I'll take the 3-0. However, EDF needs to sort this shit out, he won't last long if we keep playing like this. The next 2 games MUST be won.

wm72, ErPupone, shiboboo and 1 other person repped this.
  4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    My friend, 2 new mids is huge. Games are won and lost here. Disorganised here and it runs through the teams game plan.

Moebek and Java65 repped this.
  5. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Madrid are 3 time champions. For a reason. They have world class players at every position. They outclass us at every position. They raise their game in the Champions League, which has occurred time and again.

If you're worried based on a loss away at the 3 time champions, I don't know what to tell you.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MF was again awful. RM were running full steam through the MF with no resistance. They were attacking from every angle with no resistance in MF. I'm not even sure what the problem is anymore but our MF has not worked for a couple years now and it's killing the rest of the team

7. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #132 tomer48, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    How can anyone complain about Olsen? He was our best player tonight. His the only reason the score is not 7-0.

8. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Its very hard, but I'll try to list the positives I saw today, perhaps we can build from them:

1-Under's 2nd half performance.
    2-Olsen's 2nd half performance.
    3-The chance that Schick wasted, that was probably our best play this year. Hopefully we see more of this, but with better finishing.
    4-Lorenzo's good cameo.

9. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    La Magica repped this.
  10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    We've allowed 10 goals against in 5 matches between domestic and CL competition. I know EDF'S objective coming into this season was to revitalize our attack, however I hope that it's not coming at the expense of our defensive play...

11. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Zaniolo should be added, imo

Haakon24 repped this.
  12. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Damn, man, we don't get a break!

We've played our first 5 opening games against 5 Champions League winners, Chievo, Milan, Atalanta's reserves, and the mightiest team residing in Torino... When do we get to play the easy matches where we could expect to show... some class? Or you know - get some points?

13. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don’t understand the thinking of waiting until the winter break to see where we are as a team. By then we can be eliminated from CL and racefor finishing in a position to even qualify for Europe next season. And the coppa too if we had a fixture before then.

EDF should start packing his bags when they get back to Rome and if there is not a complete thrashing of Bologna this weekend he should not return to the stadium.

14. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Truth Hurts. I know.

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We ripped a stable midfield apart. It was always going to take time and after making such a decision it deserves that time to find its place. Teams playing smoothly and fully understanding what they need to do, trusting each others movements doesn't happen over night, no matter how good a pro they are. The biggest obstacle we have remains getting a working midfield on the pitch. The talent is there, the different types of players are now here to do what EDF wants. Its up to him and the players to make that happen.

Sacking him and looking for someone new gets us nowhere.

wm72, Oban14, shiboboo and 2 others repped this.
  16. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    We're talking about Real Madrid not Atalanta or Milan or Torino or whatever you are talking about. THIS match Olsen was absolutely fine playing out of the back, and you are unjustly criticizing him because he isn't Neuer or like you mentioned, Alisson, who is also a top 5 keeper playing out of the back. Maybe you are the one who should go back and watch this match that we just played instead of moving the goalpost.

17. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah, it does. There's just no need to be such a d1ck about it.

18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to take this opportunity to continue my Modric bromance. Every time I watch him it brings me back to Totti at his best; dribbling by a couple guys then picking out a pass that nobody on or off the field see's except them.

If we had a CM half as good as Modric this would be an entirely different team.

shiboboo, Moebek and Hustle and Flow repped this.
  19. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Sacking EDF now would be disastrous.

20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .. and we haven't even improved our attack

21. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The good news is Real will almost certainly have 12 pts and qualification as group winners pretty much wrapped up by the time we face them again at home. We, hopefully, will have a few points (should have 7 minimum really if we're worth a damn) by then too and be playing a bit better. It's a major fail if we don't get out of this group. We would hope to be bigger than relying on 'other results' of course but the draw in the other game is very good for us.

22. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Sorry but I'm just stating facts. That performance today was shameful. Period.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This game was about what I expected. I'm gonna look forward a bit.

I really think EDF needs to re-boot the team starting Sunday. This can linger. DDR talked post match about the team being demoralized with Madrid's possession. It'll be more demoralizing to face Bologna and walk away with a nail biting 1-0.

For these games against Bologna and Frosinone go to a 4-2-3-1. You have two full games to get it right before Lazio. You have seen some success with it already this season. Roll it out for a string and re-boot the team.

For Sunday:
    Olsen
    Karsdorp Manolas Marcano Luca
    DDR Nzonzi
    Florenzi Pastore Perotti
    Dzeko

You rotate and give the younger kids Cristante, Lorenzo, Kluivert, Under, Shick a run out against Frosinone. Maybe rest Manolas. Maybe Fazio and Jesus, or Give Marcano a run. Maybe even see Coric.

Something just needs to be done. You see talk of a team looking disinterested. You see Nzonzi wasted as a mezzela. You see a 35 year old De Rossi as arguably our best player tonight.

I'm tired of hearing about Radja and Strootman. This team finished 20 points off the scudetto last year and was overrun by teams like Atalanta and a poor Milan in midfield at times. This 2018 team has enough talent to waltz the next month of our schedule IF the talent is maximized.

I'm ready to put tonight's bullshit behind me and watch a new Roma Sunday morning. It's probably a pipe dream, but at this point EDF needs to know his job is at risk and fix this.

Forzaabruzzo repped this.
  24. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I agree. It was terrible. But I could go on for days about the negatives so I think I'm gonna switch up and focus on the positives from now. It's quicker.

25. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please God not N'Zonzi and DDR again.