CL Final Rounds [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by spottedeagle, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spottedeagle

spottedeagle New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Is ESPN Classic airing the Man United quarterfinal game.... ESPN2 says its airing one of the other quarterfinal games earlier that day, but ESPN Classic doesnt seem to show any time schedule for the Man United match this wednessday... Im confused since the last couple match days ESPNC has been airing delayed broadcasts of the matches ESPN2 cannot cover in the Champions League :confused:

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Champions League April 9

Moved to UEFA forum.

3. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    CL Final Rounds

Suggest we just use this thread as a catch-all to go through to the semis...

4. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    Re: CL Final Rounds

I am convinced that this year will be a MU Chelsea final. The second legs of the semis suit both these sides, and there is no gigantic difference in class between mu/barca, liverpool chelsea, so i think the home second leg will be the difference maker. but, we have only ever been to the ec final twice, barca looking for their 6th. also chelsea never been tot he final, liverpool looking for final number 8. so, cant take nothing for granted.

would much prefer shalke in the semis but this is really asking for far too much. have barca ever been koed under such circumstances as losing to a vastly smaller side of little to no euro pedigree after winning the away leg first?

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

That's the thing with man utd. They've only got to 2 finals?! I mean I know barcelona have only won it twice too but 6 finals looks good. Bayern have 7 finals. Ajax 6 or 7 as well. Liverpool 8. Nottingham forest 2. For me Man Utd are not in the same class as those clubs (ignore forest). Liverpool are the English club.

Anyway, Schalke need Rakitic back. And also to not choke. Then they might have a chance. They are the England and Spain combined of German domestic football.

Get this : in 2001 they thought they'd won the title and were celebrating, thinking the concurrently played bayern match was over. Only to find out that bayern had won the title because it was still injury time in their game and they'd scored off an illegally awarded free-kick. It turned from cheers to tears in the aufschalke arena.

6. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006

so who are the top scorers so far in this years champions league?:confused:

surely it couldnt be a very boring team, shirley;):cool:

7. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England

unlucky schalke.

but, back to manu, we have been to the ec semi in 57, 58, 66, 68, 69, 97, 99, 2002, 2007 and more than likely 2008. 10 times! that has to be up there with the very best of europe. and i think that it is more times than liverpool, by 1 (1965, 77, 78, 81, 84, 85, 2005, 2007, 2008). obviosuly our conversion rate is pretty lowly.

but, we have always played much more open and entertaining football than liverpool, plus they have always had the home games at anfeild , where they can just defend for as long as needed and hope for a break. this is simply not allowed at OT, by either the fans or the clubs management. however, manu play a more circumspect game now. we have statistically our all time best ever defence, and we also, rarely for us, get the second leg of the tie at OT. statistically this if realy important.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

I think it is quite obvious the the lack of CL wins during the Man Utd / Arsenal dominated period of the EPL is down to the attacking open football they play.

Rafa has it right in Europe. The top priority is not to lose.

9. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006

roflmao the Liverpool team of the 80's and seventies was just plain better all round then you quit making excuses.

10. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England

of course they were, there is no disputing this. they were second in success only to real madrid of 56-60, and they only stopped winning because they were banned. surely they would have won at least 2 more ecs, and why not even more??

i was talking about the fact that, even though 2 cl finals is an appalling stat for mu, they have been closer to finals than most other sides. hopefully, now that defence is a bigger priority, hopefully we can convert a few of our upcoming semi finals into finals for a change.

11. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006

thats fine just dont go dragging down liverpools achievements, to bolster your own with quite frankly cheap semi final stats, lets take one of your semi final opponents Bayer Leverkusen, you didnt deserve to be in the final anymore then they did.

You can harp on about attacking football, lets see how attacking you are against Arsenal & Chelsea now the grind is in full effect.

oh and by the way the answer to my earlier question that no one answered is LIVERPOOL

26 goals for and 8 against, you are 17 & 5

12. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

No freaking way Chelsea go to the final, not the way they play.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Well, I wouldn’t say “no-way” but I agree that Liverpool are definitely favorites. Unlike the round of 16 and quarter-finals where league form almost always determines the winner, when we get to the business end of the season, CL semifinal winners are usually the teams that are not battling on multiple fronts. Chelsea and Man Utd are involved in a tight title-race. Liverpool can focus 100% on the Champions League. Therefore, Liverpool are favorites.

Too early to call the other semi because we don’t know if Barca will be in a title-race by the time the semis kick-off.

14. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. arsenaladdict85

arsenaladdict85 New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    near Atlanta
    this is stupid

I was watching the Liverpool-Arsenal match yesterday afternoon and around the 80th minute Toure was called for a questionable foul and that lead to a 3rd goal from Liverpool. How many thought that was a questionable call???

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: this is stupid

Well, almost any call can be considered questionable. I personally thought it could go either way and this is only receiving such attention because of the when and where. I have contended this: If that was a foul yesterday, then Hleb was fouled in the box last week. Both involved light contact from behind, and both would've been near ignored in the middle of the field.

Let's be clear, though. Arsenal didn't lose because of the foul. They lost by being in a position where such a call could hurt them. The team can't compete for trophies with 4 first-choice players on the bench with injuries.

17. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007

Here's the United line up.

VDS
    Brown
    Ferdinand
    Pique
    Silvestre
    Carrick
    Hargreaves
    Anderson
    Park
    Giggs
    Tevez

Kuszczak
    Neville
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Scholes
    O'Shea
    Welbeck

Interesting.

18. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Who's shirley? lol

19. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

This game is either: rigged, SAF is over confident, or Roma just suck enough that MU don't need their best players out there.

20. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006

I was hoping some one would respond with the airplane movie :D line

21. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

LOL

22. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Why did he have to bench Ronaldo!!! He's my fantasy football capt. damnit.

23. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan

Liverpool need to make sure of the 4th qualifying spot, Everton's only 3 points back and they still have to play a derby game.

24. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England

no more derbies in liverpool this season.

my god shalke have been awful over two games.but i suppose that can be said of all the losing quarter finalists other than arsenal.

25. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Who can seriously say after today that MU's defense isn't what is carrying the team this year? ROMA MERDA btw.