Pre-match: CL day 2 - Atletico Madrid gegen FC Bayern

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by PaoloFCB, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It looks like our form away to Spanish sides continue...

It seems like a 60% chance I would say we end up 2nd in this group.

I'm not expecting a lot this season tbh. Our team is kinda in between phases.

But as for this game we needed a better result and performance and we got neither....

It now comes down to winning out the rest of the games and hoping they drop one or playing flawless at home to negate the away rule head to head...

But this could be the first time in a while where Bayern could end up second in their group.... Not good :/

2. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do you look for the needle in Ribs eye when there's a log in Müller's? Müller did nothing in the match and been anonymous all season including the Euros. He needs to sit for a while. Ribs has been reignited by Carlo and is by far our best offensive player this season. Ok, he didn't play well today but was prolly our best player on the offense. He wasn't the reason the match was lost. We need to single out Lahm, Alonso, Vidal & Müller as the culprits. I thought Alaba was weak too.

So we don't go undefeated in the group stage. But it should be a wake up call to Carlo as to who's not pulling their weight.

3. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That was Pep's fault IMO for not starting with Javi. But the truth is we let the 1st 3 goals in set pieces, 2 of which Neyer should have saved. So I can't blame Pep that much as the players let him down with individual mistakes. When this happened I hated Pep though, made angry posts especially because Kroos-Schweni sucked.

Here we were outplayed, Vidal should have got a red & we should have atleast lost 0-3. Against Real we dominated & let in fluke goals. We were out of our depth today. And Carlo made ridiculous subs like Thiago off n keeping Alonso-Vidal.

4. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Last season in atletico we could have lost with a bigger margin too

Torres hit the bar just like he did today. Griezzman missed a Pk just like he did today

Our attack looked toothless just like today

Atletico is one of the strongest sides in Europe. They've made 2 of the past 3 finals and are always tough for anyone to beat madrid barcelona or bayern

Fussballer repped this.
  5. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Muller is a lost cause in the RW. I have given up long back as a winger, worst winger in a top team (He is not a winger). Lewa I know is not elite & has to be fed.

Ribery is our only potentially elite player who does very well against minnows.

I agree with you Lahm was very bad - Completely outplayed. I am worried Lahm may see that decline finally & we need to invest in our squad heavily in a RB, CM, CAM etc in the next 2 years & they better be great!

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Absolutely.

7. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    i think the system needs work. A lot of players have looked less than stellar.

Dhajj, EmersonRW, Matakos and 2 others repped this.
  8. pikuchan

pikuchan Member+

Jul 26, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the season is still young, for now, I'm just glad this happened now in the group stage, not on the semifinal like the usual. At least Carlo can hopefully learn from this and do better next time.

9. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011

We completely outplayed Athletico last season. Our attacked looked fantastic apart from Lewa-Muller, we played the best football we have played in years. They looked like a relegation team who defended well! Today we looked like headless chicken chasing the ball endless. We could have won 4-1 or 5-1 easily last season.

And we lost because Muller missed a PK. If we had scored we would be up 2-0 in the final match & this would be over! The PK & everything would never have happened.

dragonSLO and Matakos repped this.
  10. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    As soon as I saw the lineup posted before the match, I figured it would be a struggle, and some of the tactical moves during the match were real head scratchers.

Starting Müller as a winger has never worked nearly as well as playing him behind or partnered with another striker. The evidence is overwhelming, don't know why coaches continue to try to make Müller play out wide.

The midfield trio of Xabi, Thiago, and Vidal is the same trio Pep used in the 0-1 loss in Madrid last season, and they showed why again.

When Carlo brought Kimmich on, trailing 0-1, he played Kimmich at RB and Lahm in midfield. This move really boggles the mind. Lahm is probably one of the most conservative midfielders possible, while Kimmich has 4 goals in 7 matches from midfield this season.

It seems that Carlo either places an extremely high value on experience, or he doesn't rate Kimmich in midfield.

BMGuy repped this.
  11. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Last season they were missing Godin today they have almost all their full squad

To play the game of ifs don't you think Muller had scored from that Thiago pass we could have gone to win today too?

12. ToBlockIdiots

ToBlockIdiots Member+

Feb 18, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Agree no excuses with Real. The corner goals from Ramos were pathetic marking, but the way the team was set up was on Pep.

13. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Agreed.

The XI is not balanced and it's easy to isolate players.

When Müller is a winger, Atletico can focus more on pressing Lahm, and Ribéry is the 1 and only creative attacker on the entire pitch for Bayern.

Lewandowski is also alone on an island and both Atletico CBs can focus on marking him.

Our midfield has no #10 and only 1 real goal threat. Thiago and Xabi are mostly possession retention, although Thiago has been better this season, and we have come to expect Vidal to be superman and do everything from the #6 to the #10 duties every single match to make up for our midfield's deficiencies, and then we crucify him when he doesn't put the entire midfield on his back every match.

masum, Huckeye, Raumdeuter and 1 other person repped this.
  14. albert_mk87

albert_mk87 Member+

Aug 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some things are obvious and playing vs some bl teams wont change that. We need a very good player to buy instead of alonso(kimmich looks more comfortable as a cm, and a new young rb who can rotate with lahm and take over him. We should wait and see how things will go with coman,costa,ribery and robben. If not we should buy another attacker/winger too. I still think neither muller or lewy deserve 15 mil a year, they are simply not game changers and depend on others delivering, and except for some tap ins they havent shown anything vs good teams in the cl in the last 2 years

Its going to be a bumpy ride this season if we still see alonso playing crucial games and both muller and lewy starting(for me one of the is one to many, both of them should be on the field when we are behind or in the bl.)

15. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Just watched the game on replay. Haven't read any responses yet, so forgive any repetition:

1) We were sloppy and gave away the ball far to much
    2) Atleti are excellent at what they do. Props to them

16. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #216 Dhajj, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    The way we are setup now... we aren't equipped to go very far in this tournament..

We are mixed between who and what is best for the team, older players, younger players, new coach and fitting the best 11 with the best system for it..

The only optimistic thing is the score could've been worse... so the fact it's only 1-0 is reversible at home.

It's only MD2 at least so anything can happen from now and the rematch..

On the other hand for a team like Bayern finishing second in a CL group is an underachievement. We would possibly face Real Madrid, Barcelona or Juventus in the R16 (the rest we would be favored anyway)... which could end our season in embarrassing fashion that early in the KO rounds..

Very disappointing that we can't crack that Spanish nut away from home still :(

PS: yah we play them on final MD so this group can still be in our hands..... just need to go at them like last time and like the Arsenal reverse

17. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think if we take a big fall this season under CA... then our FO shouldn't be afraid to spend big this summer.

Real and barca have made multiple CL trips over the last 5 years because of it. We can only run our "Treble" generation for so long...

masum repped this.
  18. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Couldn't watch the game..but just saw the result.Pretty ugly to lose to these chumps back to back games.
    Shitty night yet again for the Buli.
    I hope you guys didn't crash at least like we did.Seemed to be your game to win this time around but....
    At least you have what it takes to still kick their ass soon...and thats something to look forward to:thumbsup:

PureEvil repped this.
  19. terrypk1

terrypk1 Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think its much better we lost today than later on down the road.
    Ath Madrid played very well today and captured on our midfield problems

The group is not over. We can still win this and we have everything to play for. This team is only about to get better for the rest of the season.

I mean come on people. I was at Allianz when we got knocked out by Ath madrid. I hate them to bones, but they played better than us and the second half changes made some impacts. So we can do better still.

The Jitty Slitter and NUFCBayern repped this.
  20. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    We lost the winning piece when we sold Kroos to madrid, it's the most stupiest decision made from the top execs in recent years. He's worth of more than the combo of Alonso and Sanches (who I thought is redundant in current squad as we already have the same physical style in Vidal or Martinez), a rare talent in nowaday football who help to keep the team in shape and dictate the game pace. He's one of the reasons how Germany NT and Real have been on the top of their games in recent years.

Btw, I don't know why some people seems to not like Pep. Bayern under his throne is the best, the new formation 4-3-3 doesn't make best use of our attacking force, Mueller looks toothless upfront, he's kind of hybrid striker who likes to exchange 1-2 pass to break the opponents defense, whereas Robbery loves to play 1 vs 1. So the combination of Mueller, Thiago/Vidal and Robbery is the must in such a big game. And I hope we'll see Hummels+Boateng form the more solid on the back with their work rate and good passing skills, that's one of the key tactics to help Bayern to keep dominant in midfield.

---Ribbery-------Vidal/Thiago--------Muller-----Robben

--------------------------Kimmich/Alonso

Don't know how Bayern can overturn the result at home if we keep playing flat wing attack. Maybe a bit of luck can help.

21. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If both teams have flawless record after this MD.

Atl Madrid would have 15 pts coming into the last MD to Munich.

Bayern would have 12 pts going into last MD vs A Madrid.

So for us to top the group we would have to win the head to head first so 2-0 or better automatically gives us 1st.

If we win 1-0 then head to head tied and I believe it's goal difference? So we may win that as well since we score a lot vs these smaller teams.

Any draw or loss and we're 2nd..... which sucks balls for this club of this magnitude:/

22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the first half was some high intensity and quality play from both sides. Semifinal quality.

The goal came at such an unfortunate time. I thought we had control of the game and was starting to get things going. The goal then came and took the wind out of our sails before half.

Second half Athletico's midfield put performed us. Which was sad to see because Thiago, Vidal and Alonso were playing well.

Crazy to see us use 3 subs before the 70th minute. Alonso should have bee the one coming out instead of Thiago.

We lost the plot in the second half. Shame. Love the Pep hate. He played the tie better than this.

Athletico is a really good team. It amazes me how comfortable they can be with and without the ball and so clinical. Thier goal was so fast and not that high of chance.

Ancelotti needs to play around with the system with Muller in it. Robben has to have won a place when fit.

Matakos repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly.

When so many players look poor - something is wrong tactically.

The first 15 mins were positive but then Saul and Gabi took over.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Even Pep himself says the team was completely wrong. He said it was the biggest mistake of his career or words to that effect. He went with a naive lineup and got punished.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I felt Martinez needed to come into midfield and Alonso out so the Vidal could get further forward.

They were not using Alonso's long game anyway.

With the ability of Hummels and Boateng to play out of the back you would hope Alonso can be phased out now.

Muller is a real puzzle in any game where you need 3 CMs?