CL: Atletico Madrid - Roma (November 22nd, 2017) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Cant argue with the result. Deserved to lose.

We were very poor in the final 3rd tonight. Did we even have a meaningful shot on goal tonight? Was as I feared, with the Qarabag at home safety net always there, I suspected we just wouldnt be psyched up for this game as much as we needed to be to get a result. Not that we were terrible, just nowhere near good enough.

2. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    The game was there for the taking, our attackers failed us today, nothing we could do about that goal.

The ref was a joke, he let Luis Felipe hack Gerson from the back three times without a yellow, but sent off Peres with only two of those fouls.

Peres is gonna be attacked, but he was very good today, one of our best actually. Fazio was insane.

Nothing was lost though, the results today might have improved our chances to win the group believe it or not. Now Qarbag have nothing to play for, while Atletico will play for their lives against Chelsea.

wm72, Oban14, JoãozinhoFutebol and 3 others repped this.
  3. TifosoRoma

TifosoRoma Member

Feb 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's hope atleti beats Chelsea and we beat qarabog, 1st in the group would be very nice bc otherwise you just know we're gonna draw psg or man city.

Then again if we take first I'm sure we'll get Bayern..

4. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Even if Chelsea draw and we win, we will take first.

5. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I thought EDF was a little too daring with the starting line-up today. This wasn't the right game to start Pellegini. Should've went for Strootman IMO and save Pellegrini for the next match. At the start I really thought we could score. Atletico were committing mistakes in midfield, losing the ball, but we really struggled in the final third for some reason. Then Griezmann happened. Then Peres happened. Game over.

Now we need to beat Qarabag at all costs. I hate those scenarios, because the classic Roma that we all now is totally going to fall apart in a game like that. I hope this won't be the case this time around, as so far we've looked a lot better in CL than usual.

6. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    If Chelsea get's 2nd they can only end up with PSG, Barca or Besiktas. I'm sure they're gonna go for the win as well

7. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this might actually work out well, as Atletico now have a reason to try to beat Chelsea. And Qarabog now have nothing.

EDF was playing 4D chess all along :eek:

Oban14, -Martin, shiboboo and 6 others repped this.
  8. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I had to stop watching around the 55th minute. Was really hoping to come back home to a victory.

Shit happens. We still control our own destiny which is all you can ask for.

I have faith!

shiboboo and La Magica repped this.
  9. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
  10. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Once we didn't capitalize on one of Atleti's mistakes early on I knew we would get punished. That said, we soaked up the pressure well.

Pelegrini's poorest performance. I'd start him this weekend to show confidence.

Peres...was ok overall compared to some of his performances last year, but still not good enough.

Fazio was the best player on the food for either team.

Perotti was average at best, definitely below his standards.

Anyway, destiny is still in our hand. Win at home vs Quarabag and we're through. If we cough that up then we don't deserve it, simple as that.

11. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    AM are very good defensively but our final pass was just so poor last night. Diego was probably the most guilty of this but I dont think anyone was completely innocent. That's what killed us.

I'm very confident we'll beat Qarabag anyway. Even if we somehow mess that up, AM still have to beat Chelsea and that's by no means a foregone conclusion.

12. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We were eating them offensively for most of the game but I suppose this is the natural reaction for not finishing chances

Ironic that one of Peres’ best games, he gets sent off

13. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    What chances? We didnt have any bar a couple half chances. Plenty of opportunities to create chances but again, our final ball was so poor we failed to create any good ones.

I'm not at all disheartened by last night though. I thought we played OK but just didnt want it enough as I suspected might be the case. Given that it wasnt critical to get a result I thought we played a decent game, but we just werent sharp enough in attack. We need to beat Qarabag to guarantee going through and I'm very confident we'll do that. They're only playing for pride now.

14. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think EDF got this completely wrong. I think we played not to lose and so we lost. The team lacked the killer instinct and it showed. I am most upset that we wasted 90 minutes of Ninja when he is fighting a nagging injury. Now we are going to have to use him against Qarabag. We had an opportunity to rest him for a few games with some minnows on the schedule. I also think AM was the wrong team to start Pelligrini against. They are very experienced and his inexperience showed. He should have started against Qarabag instead.